Status: dead halt

Monster

Lorelei

When I woke up, I smelled gauze. I saw darkness and I heard a steady beeping. Arms too heavy to lift, I felt the familiar warmth wrapped around my hands.
His hands trembled slightly as he spoke,
“Come on Lorelei. Please. Wake up. I know you can.”
His voice wavered like his palms, congested with tears. Here I was, swallowed by what was sure to be the deathly white of a hospital room, a beautiful boy sobbing over my side. I focused on his hands, tried to squeeze.
No avail.
I was not strong enough. I was never strong enough. I thought about Jimmy. I thought about his crystal blue eyes- now shining with tears, no doubt. His giant smile, a radiant eclipse. I thought about his laugh, and the look in his eyes when he was about to pull a prank. I remembered the feel of his fingers tracing my arm as he told me a story, and of the warmth that radiated off of him- an aura of calm.
The day I was left with horrendous scars tracing my face, gouging my temple and warping my cheek was the day I realized something. It was the day I realized I was in love.
He had eyes bluer than the Caspian sea and beautiful pale skin. He liked to sing, and he often told me stories of a future where we lived together in a big house with a pool and three cars. He would be a famous musician and I would own an art gallery featuring my own work.
Neither one of us had come from much- in fact, we each came from little at all.
Piss poor but always smiling, Jimmy would say.
I heard my heart monitor skip a beat the moment I managed to whisper in my mind, I love you,Jimmy, his clear eyes clouding my vision, praying his eyes would be free of tears when I could see.
But my new found revelation only made the butterflies flutter for so long. They came to a dead halt and thumped dead to the floor of my stomach the moment those bandages came off and everyone recoiled. The butterflies may as well have been vaporized the second my eyes fell to the fleshy gashes on my cheeks and the deep dents at my temple. They no longer fluttered when my subconscious whispered to me, he could never love a monster like you.