Life In Technicolor

002

"Zack, are you listening to me?" Emma asked, poking my wrist with the eraser of her pencil.

"Yeah, totally," I whispered, my eyes flashing between our teacher and her.

"So do you think I'm right or not?"

I sighed, putting my pencil down and looking at my fingers. Honestly, I had no idea what Emma was talking about. I thought I heard her say something about 'math' and 'grade,' so I could put two and two together and assume she had a received a grade she didn't like (probably something in the low nineties) and wanted extra credit. I would kill for a grade in the low nineties in math -- a grade like that for Emma was terrible. "Of course you're right."

Emma grinned, her smile gorgeous and heartwarming, before her fingers laced over mine. "I was thinking we could spend some time together tonight at my place -- just you and me." My ears perked up slightly, attention fully in Emma's hands.

"What about Riley?" I questioned. "You and Riley always spend Wednesday nights together."

Emma giggled, her fingers leaving my hand and resting on my thigh. "Whatever. Riley'll deal."

------------

"So you and Emma are hanging out tonight?" Riley questioned me, her tone flat and expressionless as we sat down to get lunch.

"Yeah," I replied, opening my carton of chocolate milk. Riley did the same with hers.

"Whatever," she said. "It's not like our favorite show is on or anything."

I sighed. "C'mon, Riley. You'll watch it with her tomorrow."

She changed the subject quickly -- a favorite tactic of Riley's when she didn't want to deal with the problem at hand. "You know, maybe I'll invite some other people over to watch. Liam, Matt, Jane..."

"That'd be fun," I replied earnestly. Sure, I was a little bummed that Riley would be throwing a party without me, but trust me, time spent with Emma all alone is a very, very good time.

"Does Liam ever talk about me?" Riley asked softly, her eyes moving over to the boy in question.

I titled my head. "Well, a little bit, I suppose." Riley smiled.

"Good," she said, but I didn't know why. She didn't like Liam -- she couldn't. He wasn't her type.

In a selfish, egotistical way, I always assumed I was.