Sequel: Playing With Fire

Like Fire & Gasoline

Heart-to-Hearts

“James?” Bridgette said meekly, her voice shattering the silence.

James turned shifted, looking at the beautiful girl who was lying in his arms. She bit down on her lip, and he allowed his eyes to drift to the clock on his nightstand. They had been watching a movie, but judging from the dark shadowing the room, and the blank TV screen, they had fallen asleep. He felt her steady breathing against his chest, and it made his eyes search through the blackness for her beautiful blue eyes.

“What’s up?” he asked curiously, reaching beside him and turning on a lamp.

“I think we should talk.”

James entire body stiffened automatically as the words hung in the air. He had never actually heard someone tell him those words before. Now, he understood the pure fear they entailed. He couldn’t find his voice, and the room began to spin. Nothing good could come from those words.

“Oh, god, not like that,” she rushed out, realizing his sudden inability to speak.

All the air gushed from his lungs, and she giggled against his chest. He watched her flushed face in the dim lighting for a bit as his heart rate returned to normal. He didn’t know whether to he wanted to laugh or push her off the bed. It hit him how much it would hurt if she really would leave him.

And it scared him.

“Okay,” he mumbled, pulling himself and Bridgette up so they were sitting against the mahogany headboard. “Shoot.”

“Okay, I don’t want you to freak out again,” she said clearly, looking at him pointedly. “But I wanna talk about the past.”

James froze for the second time in two minutes. One of his arms was still draped around Bridgette’s shoulder, but with the other hand, he motioned in a circle, grasping desperately for words he hoped weren’t correct. Oh god, he hoped he was wrong.

“Like, relationships?” he asked reluctantly.

“Yeah,” Bridgette whispered.

She looked up at him with those big eyes. They were soft and pleading, and he knew there was no way out. He couldn’t say no to her. At the same time, he didn’t want to say anything that would jeopardize their relationship. If there was a rock and a hard place, he was smack dab between them.

“Okay,” he breathed out, before realizing he had said it. She gave a half-hearted smile, twirling the ends of her hair.

“I’ll start, if that would help a little.” James nodded, and she watched the stars out the window. “I went out with a couple of guys, nothing more than a date or two each. But two years ago, there was a guy. I was totally crazy about him, and we dated for almost a year.”

James’s heart ached at her words. It had never been like this for him before. It was always just flings and conquests. Never had picturing a girl with someone other than him hurt. Let alone hurt so damn bad.

“What happened?” he croaked out, trying to kill the images in his head.

“My dad scared him off. I really wasn’t kidding when I said the last boy I brought home left in tears.”

“I’m sorry. Any guy who’s so easily scared off doesn’t deserve you,” James said, kissing the top of her head. She smiled a bit, not looking at him.

“Thanks. But it’s your turn.”

James sucked in a deep breath, trying to figure out where to begin. “I don’t think I’ve ever really had a serious relationship. Most of the girls I’ve been with, I probably don’t even remember their names. I probably haven’t even seen them since our dates, if you can call them that. I’m not going to lie to you, Bridge. There were a lot.”

Bridgette inhaled sharply. She was well aware of James’s reputation, but hadn’t quite been prepared for that. She nibbled on her lip, feeling James’s concerned glance on her face. She nodded, pushing him to continue, even though she wasn’t sure she wanted to hear it anymore.

“I didn’t think that there was such a thing as true love. I didn’t think I’d ever find someone who meant so much, or who could change my mind, so I didn’t bother trying. I had been perfectly content in the way my life was, and then I met you.”

“Oh?” Bridgette asked shakily, her eyes flickering to his. He smiled a bit, brushing her hair away from her expressionless face.

“Bridge, I’m not proud of the way I used to be. Girls were throwing themselves at me, and I’ll admit, it fed my ego.” She snorted, and he looked at her closely. “You wanted to have this conversation.”

“I know,” she mumbled, her voice conflicted. “I still do. I just didn’t think it would be this hard to hear.”

“I know. If I had known that I would meet you, I wouldn’t have been with all of those girls,” he admitted, not able to meet her gaze.

“I can’t blame you for your past, James. I mean, I never pictured myself with someone like you, but I don’t want to be with anyone else. If having to live with the fact I’m not the only girl whose ever had your attention is what it takes to keep you, I’m okay with it,” she rationalized, tilting her head up to kiss his cheek. He looked back at her, amazed.

“How can you still want to be with me?” he asked incredulously. She shrugged, snuggling against him.

“I knew when I agreed to be your girlfriend all of the hype about you. I knew I wasn’t the first girl. As long as I’m the only girl now, it doesn’t matter.”

“You are. And you’re kinda awesome,” James whispered against her hair, and she laughed.

“Don’t you forget it,” she joked, winking at him. “But James, if this is going to work, we need to be open with each other, and that includes our pasts. I mean, it’s not like we didn’t have lives and history before each other, so there’s no use pretending. It’s better we talk about it now.”

“How did you get so smart?” he asked, wrapping his arms around her tighter.

“Someone in this relationship had to be,” she teased, and he pretended to be offended.

“Apparently you’re the mean one, too,” James retorted.

“Sorry,” she apologized, weaving her arms around his torso. “But you’re the talented one.”

“Not true,” James snorted, nuzzling against her curls.

“How about we agree to disagree?” Bridgette suggested, nestling her head in the crook of his neck.

“You are the smart one,” he said, faking bitterness. She rolled her eyes, trying not to laugh.

“And you’re impossible.” She couldn’t fight the smile, though, capturing her face. James kissed her forehead, his own lopsided grin gracing his features.

“But I’m yours.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, that was intense, huh?

You guys wanna know a secret? There's going to be a sequel to this story. Now, this story still has at least five more chapters, if not more, but I decided a few days ago. I'm kinda more excited for the sequel than this story. Is that crazy?

Anyway, just so you know, it's going to be good. And I hope you all continue to be supportive and follow the story. I love you guys.

xxxo, Sara