Sequel: Playing With Fire

Like Fire & Gasoline

Equations in Love

Bridgette was scared out of her fixed daze by a soft knocking at her door. She jumped right out of her skin and nearly tumbled off her mattress to the unforgiving hardwood floor. She carefully folded down the page of her book, setting it carelessly on the nightstand. She watched the door curiously for a few moments, checking the clock on the wall. She hadn’t been expecting anyone, and her parents never felt the need to knock. In her father’s words, his house, his door, he could open it whenever the hell he wanted.

“Who is it?” she called, flipping her legs lazily over the edge of her bed.

“Bridgette, it’s me,” James said hesitantly, his hand resting on the doorknob.

He couldn’t quite bring himself to turn it. Bridgette gnawed on her lip, trying to stay calm and remember her mom’s advice. Just the sound of his voice invoked butterflies in her stomach.

“Come in,” she whispered, pulling her knees back to her chest, leaning against her headboard.

James opened the door cautiously, his eyes red, his hair a mess. He looked as if he hadn’t slept since she last saw him. A pang of concern flushed through her, but she couldn’t bring herself to say anything. He shut the door behind him, not moving more than a few inches from it. She watched him warily, pushing a curl out of her face.

“Déjà vu, huh?” James mumbled, scratching the back of his neck.

Bridgette sighed, patting the spot on the bed beside her. James felt like he was going in slow motion, trying his best not to screw anything up. He awkwardly sat beside her, not quite able to meet her gaze.

“This whole fight thing is kinda getting old,” Bridgette commented, leaning her head against James shoulder.

He let out a breath he hadn’t realized he had been holding. His arm found it’s way around her, as if that was where it was always meant to be. He relaxed a bit, resting his chin on the top of her head, stroking through her soft, glossy locks. The constant ache that had taken residence in his chest the past couple of days finally lifted. He pulled her close to her just feeling tired, which she mirrored.

“I’m sorry,” he breathed, tilting her chin up so he could see her eyes. “Relationships are a new thing for me. I didn’t think one would be so hard, or that I would be so bad at it.”

She nodded slowly, giving a small smile. She traced his jaw with her cool fingers before allowing her hand to cup his face.

“I’m sorry, too,” she admitted. He clasped her hand, bringing it to his lips and kissing it gently.

“I don’t want to fight anymore.”

“Me either. All of my energy went into being mad at you, and then to mad at myself and then to just mad. Now I’m just exhausted,” Bridgette laughed ironically.

“I know the feeling. I mean, poor Carlos, Kendall, and Logan. They had to carry my sorry ass in the studio, then they had to watch me be stupid and reckless, ‘cause I was hurting so bad.”

“They’re really great to you,” Bridgette smiled, a teasing note reaching into her voice. “But really, they already carry you in the studio. Nothing new there.”

“Ouch,” James grimaced, tightening his hold on her. “Uncalled for.”

Bridgette shrugged, her eyes melting as she watched his face. He managed to smile back, running his fingers up and down her side.

“You know I was teasing,” she murmured, intertwining her hand with his. “I love your voice.”

“Does this mean I’m forgiven?” he asked hopefully, his gaze flickering over her every feature.

She looked at him closely before tilting her head up and covering his lips with hers. The kiss was gentle and sweet. In every other fling, there had never been any kisses like that. James had really missed kissing Bridgette, and he wasn’t ashamed to admit it. Everything about her was perfection to him, and when he was with her, he could see himself through her eyes. Even though he didn’t deserve it, she thought highly of him, and cared for him like no one had before.

“Yeah, it does. Can you forgive me for jumping to conclusions?”

“Already forgotten.”

She leaned against him, and he kissed the top of her heads. A sigh of content escaped his lips, and he watched her relaxed form, the same sparks flying as the first time he saw her, the first time he kissed her.

“So, we’re okay now? I mean like I said I’m still relatively new at this relationship thing.”

Bridgette watched him, an amused smile playing on her lips. She ruffled his hair, and he didn’t protest.

“Yeah, James. We’re human, and far from perfect. We’re gonna mess up, and drive each other nuts. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t want to be your girlfriend.”

“Good,” he said, relieved. “You’re really smart, you know.”

“So you’ve told me,” Bridgette chuckled as he played with the ends of her hair.

“Is that what you learn all day at college? If so, I might just have to enroll in some classes to get the hang of this,” James joked.

“Yeah, that’s what they teach us,” she paused, raising an eyebrow in thought. “Actually, it would be more helpful in life then some of the stuff we learn. I mean, when are we ever going to need to know that the derivative of sinx = cosx?”

“Wait…what’s a derivative?” James interrupted, and Bridgette’s bell-like laughter filled the small room.

“Exactly. Don’t worry about it babe, they’re just a giant headache,” she assured him, placing a small peck on his cheek.

“See, this is why I’m a singer/actor. You don’t need to know math…That was math, right?”

Bridgette rolled her eyes, but couldn’t stop her smile. “Yes, that was math.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Awh, they made up(: My apologies for taking so long to get this out; it's spirit week, and it's been hetic. I appreciate you bearing with me.

So, thoughts? Predictions? Any moments you just wanna awe? Or things that you have to say or you'll burst?

A bit dramatic on the latter, but hey, It could happen haha.

xxxo, Sara