Sequel: Playing With Fire

Like Fire & Gasoline

Serenity

“James, come on,” Bridgette urged, tugging at his sun kissed hand. He groaned, swatting at her from his spot on the couch.

“Bridgette, it’s my day off. I’m sleeping,” he stated firmly, nestling his head deeper into the plush burgundy throw pillow. Bridgette rolled her big robin’s egg eyes, snatching the fluffy material from right beneath him. Finally, he sat up, his hazel eyes annoyed. His chestnut hair fell into them and stuck up in random directions, making it impossible to keep a straight face.

“It’s a beautiful day, and you’re spending it with your girlfriend, whether you like it or not,” she responded, and his eyes lit up as the word ‘girlfriend’ left her heart shaped lips. He stood, brushing the wrinkles out of his black T-shirt and jeans.

“Where are we going?” he asked, and finally a smile spread across her face. She looked up at him through her eyelashes, pressing her body to his.

“It’s a surprise,” she whispered, before grabbing his hand and leading him out of his apartment. He groaned, reluctantly following her to the silver elevator.

“This isn’t fair,” he grumbled, and she looked up at him, an unreadable smirk on her face as she hit the down button.

“This is what you do to me basically every time we’ve gone out. So I’d say it’s plenty fair.” James mouth hung open, and he closed it a few times, giving him a fish-like appearance. Bridgette chuckled, shaking her head, causing her blond curls to bounce with the movement.

“Yeah, you know I’m right, but I see you’re taking the ‘no-comment’ route.” She giggled, pulling them into the elevator. Her ears awaited a witty comeback, but instead, his hands rested against the golden interior of the elevator on either side of her head. Her breathing hitched a bit in her throat as his face drew closer to hers. She could feel his sweet breath tickling her features as a grin curved onto his face.

“So, can I know now?” he murmured against her ear, and she had to concentrate to hear him over the pounding of her heart.

“No way,” she responded, cerulean eyes watching him carefully. His lips hovered above hers, and as he leaned in to close the gap, she turned, his lips brushing instead against her cheekbone just as the elevator dinged. She ducked under his arm, running out into the lobby before turning to watch him, dumbstruck.

“You coming or not?” she asked, and he dashed after her, trailing on her heels.

“That wasn’t nice,” he pouted, weaving between people as they hit the crowded streets. She had been right; the day was beautiful. Their weren’t any clouds in sight, and it wasn’t too cold or warm.

“Never claimed to be,” she retorted, lacing their fingers together. He couldn’t focus on anything but the way the sun hit her face, brightening her complexion. Between that and the way her golden curls flowed around her head, she appeared almost angelic. The only thing keeping the ‘almost’ in there were the teasing jabs flying from her glossed lips.

“Where are we, anyway?” James asked after nearly a half-hour of walking. He was finally aware that they had left the endless buildings and crowds. He could smell something besides exhaust, and in front of him was what seemed to be an endless field. They were walking on a gravel path, which made the only noise aside from the birds and a babbling creek somewhere in the distance.

“A place I used to come with my parents,” she answered with a shrug, still going forward.

“How much farther are we going?”

“Only a little bit. Watch your step,” she added as he stumbled beside her.

“Thanks for the warning,” he mumbled, regaining his balance. She giggled, tucking a curl behind her ear.

“No problem.” She came to a sudden stop, and he nearly fell again. When he looked around, he understood why she loved it here so much.

A few trees stuck up from the long grass, which was billowing in the breeze. Wildflowers colored the green palette, which lay against the bright blue backdrop. She walked a few steps ahead of him, her white tunic fluttering in the wind with her hair. As her thumbs looped in her back pockets, she looked as though she belonged in this art-worthy setting.

“So, you live in the city, where everything you could want is within five minutes of reach, but you choose to spend your time here?” James asked softly, his harmonious voice ruining the serene moment. She turned, her hair brushing into her face, a gentle smile on it.

“James, all of those materialistic things, they’re nice, but they aren’t really important. It’s not what matters in life.” She walked towards him, placing her palm against his chest. “It’s in places like this that you realize it the most. It’s not about having the newest things, or nicest things, but having the people you care about here to enjoy life with. To enjoy places like this with.”

James lifted her in his bronzed arms. Bridgette squeaked from the unexpected movement before looking down to meet his eyes, her curls tickling his face. She bent her neck down, their lips connecting and moving as one. James finally set her down, and collapsed onto the soft grass, pulling her down with him. His arms were securely around her scrawny, thin figure as they lay, just watching the beauty of it all. For the first time in a long time, James felt his heart and mind were in the right place as he gazed at Bridgette’s peaceful features basking in the golden light.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awh, sweet moment, a bit short, but sweet.

What do you think of their relationship so far?
Do you think drama's coming?
I love you're opinions, so speak up!

So, basically, I'm not going to be home tomorrow, Thursday is iffy, and all of next week, I don't' think I'll be able to update, so I'm trying to update each story today. See, next week I work everyday, and my friend who lives a few states away is going to be home, leaving me with no time. I'm sorry, but I'll do my best.

xxxo, Sara