‹ Prequel: The Other Woman

Tensions

A Birthday

Creeping into their bedroom, a tray of nearly royal breakfast in hand, Serenity beamed a wide smile as she settled the sweets on the bed. The tray contained a mug of roasted coffee, some French toast, a couple of scrambled eggs and Terrence’s favorite blueberry pancakes.

He had a big appetite.

Her boyfriend was still in bed this early morning, snoring lightly with the covers tucked up to his chin.
“Shhh” Serenity whispered to the tiny tots below her, who were quietly laughing at what they were about to do to their dad.
Terrence shuffled around a bit in bed, until he felt his girlfriend’s hot breath in his ear, and then an attack of hands and fingers poking into his chest and neck.

His body immediately sprang up, hands diving to brush off the source of poking on his chest.
“What the h—“

“Happy Birthday, Daddy!” Bianca and Trevor screamed at the top of their tiny lungs. Serenity chuckled as a dazed and slightly confused Terrence sat up off the bed to rest his tired head against the wooden headboard.

“Thank you.” He smiled to the two kids currently on his lap. “What time is it?” he yawned to his girlfriend, squinting his eyes open from just being woken.

“It’s only 7, but you can go back to sleep after you eat.” She replied whilst joining her children on the large bed. Her eyes internally applauded Terrence for looking so sexy at this deathly hour. His eyes were somewhat red, medium sized bags beneath his lids. A faint trail of pale colored drool adorned the left side of his dark cheek, while his shirtless body only sported a pair of striped boxers. He was so damned sexy and Serenity sometimes wondered how she nailed a man like that.

“Daddy! Daddy! I make dem!” Bianca screamed, followed by her twin brother hitting her on the head for no apparent reason.

“Mmmm, what kinda pancakes are these?” he asked, ruffling Trevor’s hair as the little boy attempted to pour syrup upon the small stack of pancakes.

“Blueberry, which suck by the way. But I know you like them.” Serenity answered

Terrence gave her no wordy response and instead placed a small kiss to her lips. “Love you.” he mumbled against her full lips.

“Heeey! These aren’t for you!” Terrence playfully yelled at the two tiny persons, whom were stealthily devouring his birthday pancakes.

Serenity couldn’t help but break into a soothing smile. Many women in her predicament seldom ended up like she did; with a loving boyfriend, and an amazing support system from both her and her kids. She had the support of friends, some family, and of course Terrence, who seemed to be her bright morning star. They’d met a couple years ago at a restaurant, WHILE she was 7 months pregnant!

And while waiting for her friend sister at a table set for two, Terrence clumsily and arrogantly sat in front of her. He had seen her from behind, as she fluffed her long gothic black tendrils. The shiny coat of hair caught his eye at first, and when she wrapped it around, to the front of her shoulders, his eyes attached to her long sultry neck.

He had immediately wanted to see her face, to see just how gorgeous this woman was. And when he did, he was blown away. She was glowing…and not from the make-up, but he hadn’t seen her belly.

Sorry I’m late, I was trying to think of a good pick up line,” he sighed, seating himself in front of her.
Serenity jumped a little from her seat, eyes quirked in confusion. Unless her sister had a sex change operation or something, this wasn’t her guest.

“Um…what?” she asked slowly, not sure she actually heard those words drip from his tongue.

Terrence didn’t answer her right away, and instead whipped open his napkin and began to place it on his lap.
“I saw you from behind while I was getting a table, and HAD to talk to you,” he answered.

“For what?” she asked, getting slightly uncomfortable in front of his gaze. I mean, was this guy serious? She was meeting with her sister for some dinner, and as fat as whale! Was this some sort of joke, a dare maybe…This guy did look a little young…

“Every time I see a be—“

“Look, can you get the hell outta here? I’m not sure who put you up to this, and I honestly don’t care. But my sister is going to be here in a couple minutes and I’d rather save that seat for her instead of an immature dick like you, thanks.” she smiled brightly at the gentleman in front her.

Terrence was more than floored.


“So what exactly are the plans for today?” Terrence sighed, loving the way Serenity’s lips and fingers were currently rubbing against his naked chest. After dropping the kids at school this Friday morning, she came home to an unusually excited Terrence, whom took no time in tossing her into bed.

“Well.” she mumbled, kissing the tattoo of an intricate tribal symbol on his chest. “I was thinking a movie with the kids this afternoon when they come from school. And then just us two for dinner and a few drinks with some friends at the bar.”

“See, that’s perfect. No surprises or expensive shit, just time with you and the kids...and then I’ll have you for the rest of the night” He smirked.

“But I still got you a gift.” She grinned, “but you’re not touching it until later.”

Terrence laughed, grasping her hips as he flipped them over so that he was now on top. “And what kinda gift are we talking about here? Edible undies?”

She giggled, slapping at his arm. “Nooo. You’ll see it later, and please, no begging like last year.”

Later that night, much later in fact. Serenity could be seen upon a bar stool, chugging a bottle of Heineken with Terrence and Marlene to see who could down the hops filled beverage the fastest. After the twins had arrived home from daycare/school, Serenity and Terrence got them dressed to go to the movies. The family of four decided to see Ratatouille, a family film about a French rat who loved to cook the yummiest of meals. Bianca and Trevor more than enjoyed the cartoon film, and even the two adults found it more than funny.

But now it was adult time, no kids allowed. Serenity had set up the evening so that Jennifer could come and watch the twins while she and Terrence enjoyed the remainder of his birthday evening together.

“You guys actually expected to beat me.” Terrence bellowed a short moment later, grinning at the two women in front of him.

“It’s your birthday, sweetheart. I just let you win.” Serenity replied, loving the way her boyfriend rolled his eyes at her.

The bar was packed tonight due to the fact that it was Friday. The tarring smoke filled the entire room, mixed with an interesting hint of weed and alcohol.

It smelled less than wonderful.

A few slurring souls were attempting to dance in the center of the room, while others mingled drunkenly about with others. The lights were very dim tonight, and at times she found herself straining to make out certain faces, especially when she had a few too many Caribbean Mists cocktails from the bar. And luckily since one of Terrence’s good friends worked at Pompeii, all of the drinks that the eight of them had been consuming were absolutely free.

Terrence and his male companions that he had brought along had chatted for a bit, played a couple of drinking games as if they were still in college, and made random jokes that only a guy could understand. Serenity’s boyfriend seemed to be really enjoying himself, being away from work, the kids, everything.

When one of Serenity’s favorite songs came crashing out of the deafening speakers, she smiled a little and took a seat into Terrence’s lap, ignoring the cat calls from the immature men in front of her.
“You having fun?” she asked flirtatiously, tracing his lips with her fingertip.

He closed his eyes for a brief second, “Too much. But you know what?”

“Hmm?”

“I can’t wait to take you home…” he leaned over and purred into her ear.

“You fuckin lovebirds, get up and lets dance!” a slightly drunk Jordan practically roared into the couple’s ears.

“I’m too old to dance,” Terrence teased, trying his best to hold Serenity against his lap and rub his hand underneath the back of her thin blouse.

The team of eight cackled at his not so funny comment. Jordan’s eyebrows crept up, “alright old fart, then I guess it’s present time.

“You bitches can afford me presents, but can’t afford to pay be back when I loan you money?!” Terrence laughed, sending everyone into yet another storm of cackling.

Everyone handed over Terrence a gift, some in envelopes, others in small little boxes, and one of them in the shape of a champagne bottle…obliviously champagne. And one by one, Terrence opened and unfolded each gift, until he opened the last one, from his best friend Jordan.

“This better be that rent money I leant you like eight months ago.” Terrence joked, tearing into the side of the white envelope. He flipped it onto its side, two long rectangular sheets of paper slipping out and into his palm.

With his girlfriend still on his lap, Terrence brought the papers up to his face to further examine them, and the brightest of smiles captured his face as he read.

“What the? Where did you get these?! I thought they were all out!” Terrence exclaimed in glee.

“I got them a couple weeks ago, but they were hard to find. So you better appreciate it.” Jordan laughed, slapping his best friend on the arm.

And all the while, no one took any serious notice as to the widened and somewhat frightened blank stare that currently occupied Serenity’s brown eyes. No one noticed how her mouth was slightly hung open, or how just how rigid she was now seated in Terrence’s lap. No one noticed how those two tiny sheets of paper had completely sobered up her behavior, all alcohol be damned.

Earlier that morning, another couple had hit a miniature milestone for there up and coming wedding.
“Ooh, look at the chandelier, Tre.” Blaze exclaimed, gawking up at the crystal chandelier above their heads.

“Its gorgeous isn’t it?” the venue consultant nodded. “Its made from Swarovski crystal.”

“Yeaaaaaaw, it’s lovely.” Tre yawned, not even bothering to attempt to be in the least bit interested in the damned chandelier.

Blaze only rolled her eyes at her fiancés lack of interest and continued chatting with Maxine about the highly potential venue. Maxine took the couple on tour of the medium sized venue, showing them the beautiful artwork, the reception area, the garden in the backyard for photography, the posh bathrooms, the kitchen, everything.

“I want it!” Blaze practically screamed into Tre’s left ear when the tour had finally finished. She happily latched herself onto his side, hoping to God that he loved the place just as much as she did. Maxine giggled softly to herself as Blaze attached herself to a seemingly tired Tre.

“You really like it?” he asked, already knowing the answer, but simply wanting to see her reaction.

“No. I absolutely LOVE it!” she laughed, wrapping her arms around his neck. “You like it, right?”

“I’m lovin’ whatever you choose.” He answered. “Uh, Maxine? Do you have a schedule for a date that we can book?”

“I sure do, give me a second.” She smiled, power walking off to the parking lot for her notepad and planner inside her car.

“I’m so happy we waited and didn’t choose some shitty venue. This place is amazing.” Blaze spoke when Maxine had left, arms still coiled around the drummer.

“Yeah, I have to admit. It’s much better than the others.” His fiancé snuggled her nose against his, just barely pressing her full lips against him. It felt like a feather, and it was kind of turning him on.

“Don’t let me drag you inside that bathroom…” he warned, releasing the hold he had on her.

She ignored his bantering, still pressing her feathery lips against his. “Are we going to choose the date right here right now?”

“Why not?” Tre mumbled against her lips, fishing around in his pant pocket in an uncomfortable position since she was still holding him by the neck.

“Well.” kiss. “What if one of us has something coming up.” Kiss. “And we forget.”

“I’ll be done with everything music after that charity concert next weekend. You?”

“Uhh. I don’t think s—“

“Here we are.” Maxine smiled brightly as her heels clicked across the tiled floor, planner and event book in hand.

“Let’s just get it over with.” Tre whispered. Blaze nodded.

The trio pranced about the hall before seating themselves in the reception area to take care of business. Maxine opened her planner and retrieved her reading glasses from the depths of her purse.

“O.k. Nothing is available right now for March, and we have a few spots remaining for April and May. What month were guys thinking?”

Tre scratched the back of his head, this event bringing back many memories. This would now be his THIRD time choosing a fucking date for his wedding. His past weddings were set in the months of May and March, so those two months were definitely off the list. He really hoped this would be the final time he would be setting a wedding date for himself.

“Are you listening, Tre?” Blaze poked him in the arm.

“Yeah, what happened?” he asked, shaking his head out of his daze.

“I think we should do it in either June or July, what do you think?”

“Uh, I’d prefer June.” He commented. “July just seems like it’ll be busy for some reason.”

Blaze shrugged, “June it is.”

Maxine quickly flipped through the pages of her planner and event book for the month of June.
“Alright. And what day are we thinking? The weekend? Sometime during the week?”

“Wanna have it on a Friday?” Tre suggested.

“Yeah, that’s perfect. And then our honeymoon can include that weekend.” Blaze agreed.

Maxine nodded, still flipping through her many paged book for the month.
“O.K. Right now, we’re booked for the sixth and twentieth, which are Fridays. So if it’s going to be on a Friday you’ll have to pick between the thirteenth and twenty-seventh. Or we can always go into the next month.”

The couple pondered to themselves about the two dates, trying to think of anything that would intercept either date for the wedding.
“What are you thinking?” Blaze asked, cupping her palm over his knee.

“I have no idea. Either one is fine for me.”

“Me too. But maybe we should we do it on the later date incase something goes wrong or something’s late. You know, just in case.”

“So the twenty-seventh?” Maxine asked

“The twenty-seventh.” The couple sang together, followed by a gracious kiss.