Status: Complete - For now

The Vampire's War

2052

March, 2052

Regulus' quick thinking is what landed them here.

He had been given orders from Quartermain himself to lead a small group to take down HARAV's base of command. It was under a decrepit old theatre right in New Washington. If anyone else had asked him, Regulus would have refused. He was a lawyer, not a soldier.

Ever since the night Ares had been killed, Regulus had been carrying around this terrible guilt, and for the past three years, had been formulating a way to end the war. He had managed to find an old notebook and a pen and had kept it on his person at all times. In his free time, he browsed any law book he could get his hand on, filling the notebook with information he could maybe use. And this attack only sparked his imagination – maybe he could talk to the humans instead.

He gathered a group of about fifteen good fighters to go in with him – Vampires he trusted well enough, but wasn't too close to. He didn't know if he could undergo another Ares episode. They had approached the theatre, but the second they stepped foot inside the building, they found themselves at gunpoint and were about to be killed when Regulus had the sudden brilliance to say that he wanted to talk to Rose Darvill about ending the war. Yes, he had done his homework.

So now he and his men were being forced down into the human's war room, the humans threatening them with bullets and UV. Regulus was the first to be shoved into the room. He found himself facing a woman with long, plum colored hair and too many worry lines for such a young face. He could smell the human scent, smell their blood types – there was an X around, but not anywhere quite near to them.

When they were all inside, she spoke. "So, you blood suckers think you can just waltz in here and demand audience with Rose Darvill, hmm?" she asked, raising her delicate eyebrows. "Well, sorry, but I don't make deals with devils."

"I can end this war if you'll just talk to me." Regulus found himself pleading. His men gave him strange looks, unsure of if he was sincere or acting. He was sincere.

Rose laughed, a sharp, cold laugh. "You think so? And why should I even consider trusting you?"

"I saved your husband's life."

Rose narrowed her eyes at him.

"In Oceanica. I could have killed him, easy. But I let him go."

"And what color were my husband's eyes?" she asked coldly.

"Blood red."

Rose paused to pick up a worn journal and flipped through it. "June fourteenth, twenty forty-nine," she read out loud. "I've just escaped from a raid that went wrong. I was spared by the Vampire with blue eyes. What caused his damned soul to have mercy on me, I don't know, nor will I probably ever find out. But I am eternally grateful that I can live to fight another day. I must find out his name." She flipped another few pages. "August first, twenty forty-nine. Did some research today. The Vampire who let me go's name is Regulus Luqualis. Graduated with a law degree top of his class. What the hell is a lawyer doing serving the military?" She looked up at him, then to her guards. "Spare Luqualis. Slaughter the others."

Silently, the guards did as they were told and wrestled the Vampires out of the room. Regulus watched helplessly as the room emptied, and soon only himself and Rose were left. The door slammed shut, and then there was silence.

"Well, Luqualis, you're brave just walking in here."

"We had orders to kill, but I decided to do the diplomatic thing."

She gave another short laugh. "That's more than could be said for your friend Quari."

Now it was Regulus' turn to narrow his eyes. "Quari is no friend of mine. I don't support him or the Quartermains, in fact."

"Then why are you still in the military?"

"I'm on Special Ops now."

"Oh, so you only get to go kill important people, is that it?" Regulus didn't answer. "Well, I haven't got all day, Luqualis, I've got assassinations to plan."

"I know."

Rose stopped. "What?"

"I know you plan on killing the Quartermains. And I know that you've stolen back many more X Bloods than the government knows about."

"How do you know this?" she hissed.

"I've tapped your communications," Regulus said. "But don't worry, it's just me, and I'm not sharing."

"I can kill you easily," Rose said, pulling out her own gun. It wasn't very big, but Regulus had no doubt she knew how to handle it.

"I know. The same could be said in reverse."

"True."

"Do you want to hear my proposition or not?"

Rose studied him for a few moments before sitting down slowly. "Go on."

"Alright. First of all, I'm not encouraging you to assassinate the Quartermains, but it will give the humans a lot of power. Power with which they can barter with."

"I'm not bartering with anyone."

"Let me finish," Regulus said, holding up a hand. "If, perchance, you were to come to the Senate on a specific day, holding documents detailing your demands, a certain Senator might be there to negotiate your terms and end this senseless war."

"Are you a Senator, too?" Rose asked suspiciously.

"Not yet," Regulus replied with a slight smile. "But if you hold the power, Quari will have to give in to your demands."

"And what do you suggest I do?"

"Take this," Regulus said, pulling the notebook out of his pocket and sliding it across the table to her. "My legal notes. You should be able to make sense of it, you seem sharp. And release me so I can help you."

"How will you know when to help us? And how can I trust you?"

"I'll be listening. And you can't trust me, but you can have a little faith." He stood. "Not all of us are bad, Rose Darvill. Some of us just want to live in peace."

"Tell that to the doctor who started all this."

"Eight years later and she's still beating herself up over it."

Rose frowned, flipping through the notebook. She was quiet for a long time, considering his notebook, and her journal, and Regulus himself, and her own thoughts before finally making a decision.

"My guards will escort you out of here and you are never to return. You will never enter battle again or harm another human being. And when the time comes for you to play your final role, I expect you to play it to perfection," she commanded, her voice strong and cold.

Regulus bowed his head. "May I burn in Hell if not."

Rose called two guards back in, and they started escorting Regulus out of the room. "I'll be listening," Regulus called out to her just before the door shut.

-

May, 2052

Rose Darvill had a stack of papers in one hand, her gun in the other, and all her troops in the New Washington area surrounding her. Last night's plan had gone perfectly - Abraham and Jonah Quartermain made two less Vampires in the world, sporting bullets in their hearts. Now she lead her march on the Senate, and she wasn't just supported by her troops – almost every human in the city had turned out with whatever weapons they had. They made a clear statement: We are not afraid.

No one resisted her as she walked right up the black steps of the Senate building and through the huge doors. Inside, she saw a tall figure with dark hair that she recognized.

"Good to see you successful, Rose," Regulus said, joining the party and walking beside her to the Senate room.

"Good to see you here, Luqualis," she replied, giving him a half smile before opening the doors.

"What is the meaning of this?"

The few Senate members who were left sat in their seats. Percival Quari was on his feet, glaring up at Rose and Regulus.

"You're in no position to be making demands, Quari." Rose's voice rang throughout the hall. "I won't hesitate killing you all where you sit if my demands aren't met."

"Go ahead, shoot us!" one of the Senators yelled, standing as well. Rose raised her gun and without a blink fired off three shots. The Vampire fell to the floor.

"Alright, we'll cooperate," Quari said, raising his hands and sitting back down slowly.

"Excellent," Rose said, sitting down among the Senators, not taking her hand off her gun for even a moment. "First off, I want Regulus Luqualis to be made a Senator, immediately."

"What? This boy?" Quari sneered, looking at Regulus, who was standing next to Jethro, just behind Rose's shoulder. Rose nodded curtly. "These things take time—"

Rose pointed the gun at Quari. He sighed, and said, "Very well. Luqualis, take a seat."

And Regulus did, trying hard not to smirk.

"Second, Regulus Luqualis is going to negotiate the terms for the end of the war," Rose said, pushing the papers to Regulus.

"Ma'am this is a surprising gesture," Regulus said in mock-shock, "but I believe I can do my best."

"Good. I'll have you know I'm a very demanding old bitch."

"You don't look a day over twenty-five," Regulus commented off-handedly, flipping through the papers. "You wish for the freedom of all humans, regardless of their blood type?"

"Mostly. There are other demands, but that's the main one."

"Now, wait," Quari said. "We need a constant food supply."

"I don't care about you."

"This is a negotiation," Regulus told them both sternly. "We need to make both sides happy."

"Oh, fine," Rose said. "I trust you, Luqualis. Work your politician magic."

"I try, ma'am, I try."

-

June, 2052

The demands were set, the law was passed. Henceforth, humans were free save two things – all X Bloods, upon their twentieth birthday, could be sold to a Vampire of substantial wealth and must serve twenty years in their servitude, and all humans were to make yearly donations on their birthdays. Other than that, they were free to do as they wish.

"It'll never hold," Aglia told Regulus when he informed her. They were looked at each other from across a counter in her lab. "I give it three years, and we'll be at war again."

"You're so negative, Aglia."

"For good reason."

"Well, it'll never be perfect. But it's a start."

"For now."

"Yes, for now. Nothing lasts forever."
♠ ♠ ♠
And, um, that's it xD Hope you liked it and that it gave a little more insight into Vampiric Earth, as I like to call it.
Comments are extremely useful and appriciated!
~Icamane