Pride

What Are You Thinking?

“What do you mean you can’t come over?” I howl, crossing my arms because if I were to put them on my hips that’d be too girly. Scowling, I send the deadliest glare I can muster in the general direction of Kai, who is now shyly staring down at his shoes as he scuffs them against the ground.

“I just…I c-can’t. Please understand Shiloh…” Kai and I haven’t been hanging out as much, everyone knows this already. It is now December and every December Kai and I go skiing together on the weekends. It isn’t that either of us are any good at it although we’ve been doing it for years. It’s just incredibly fun…and painful but that setback is totally worth the risk.

However, Kai has just informed me that he can’t go with me up to the cabin this weekend. Never, let me repeat never has Kai rejected going to the cabin on the weekend but he just did. I can only put up with so much, now this is just getting damn annoying.

“Fuck you, man. I’m tired of this bullshit! I don’t know what’s going on but you’re just really starting to piss me off! Fine, do whatever you want. I really don’t give a damn!” I storm out onto Kai’s balcony and hop from his to mine. His hand clasps around my wrist and I know that if I hear him I’ll give in and forget about this but I don’t want to. I want to stay pissed at him so maybe he’ll tell me what’s going on.

I rip my hand away and slide open my balcony door. Kai is on my balcony but it’s too late. I’ve already slid the door shut and locked it, closing my curtains as well. Damn him. I feel like a girl acting like this. I am going to kick his ass once I find out what he’s hiding. I bet it’s something stupid too, the fucker.

Knowing that Kai will most likely try to come over, I lock my bedroom door too. As expected, I hear him knocking on it only seconds later. My mother is shouting, telling me to open the door and let Kai in but I ignore the woman. Turning on my computer, I log into WoW and concentrate on leveling my hunter. Fuck Kai. If he wants to keep secrets from me and act like a little bitch then so be it. I’m not putting up with him.

After Kai finally gives up, I grab my phone and dial Mindy’s number. The girl answers in no time but she sounds very annoyed. “What now, Shiloh?”

“Kai pisses me off.”

“I know, you tell me everyday.” There’s the sound of a TV in the background. I’m assuming I interrupted her watching one of her TV drama shows that she’s obsessed with. Women. “What’d he do this time?”

“He said he can’t come to the cabin this weekend. We have never missed going to the cabin every weekend during the winter! For him to say no…something is obviously up.” I growl but not because of Kai, because the damn healer didn’t heal me and now I’m dead and I have to run all the way back to my corpse. Ugh! I hate idiots.

“Well yeah…he’s dating an older woman!” Mindy says that like she somehow knows it. Rolling my eyes, I sigh and run around Undercity after finishing the dungeon.

“And you know this, how?”

“I don’t know for sure but it’s the best explanation we got. Maybe you should try asking his parents?” I don’t think I have ever realized how useful Mindy could be until now. That is probably the best idea I’ve ever heard of. Kai obviously won’t tell me anything but if something’s up then his parents will most likely know. If I ask them…I just know they’ll tell me!

“Mindy…did I ever mention how strong my love is for you? Because damn girl, I love you.”

“Yeah, whatever just stop calling me to complain about Kai already. I feel like your marriage counselor or something,” Mindy sighs but I can hear the smile in her voice. Thanking her, I hang up and decide that I will ask Kai’s parents about him sometime this weekend. The boy is obviously busy since he won’t come up to the cabin with me, which means he probably won’t be home so I should be able to ask his parents while he isn’t around. Sometimes I amaze myself with how much of a genius I am!

Saturday morning I wake up early and get dressed. I inform my parents that I’ll be up at the cabin later on today, I needed to finish something before I went. They both kiss me goodbye before leaving with Shania. Once gone, I go to my room and out onto my balcony. Leaning over the railing, I check to see if Kai is still home but since his curtains are shut, I really don’t know. Sighing, I walk back through the apartment and over to Kai’s.

I bite my lip before knocking.

“Oh Shiloh, weren’t you going up to the mountains this weekend?” Mrs. McFallen asks when she answers the door, immediately stepping aside to allow me entrance. I kick off my shoes when entering and smile kindly at her.

“Yeah, but I wanted to stop over for a sec,” I reply, trying to make friendly conversation before asking what I really wanted to know. Who knows, maybe Kai’s parents won’t tell me what’s up. If they don’t I just don’t know what I’ll do.

Mrs. McFallen smiles but that smile soon turns into a frown when she says, “I’m sorry but Kai isn’t home. He went out with Garrett this morning.”

“Oh?” Something inside me flickers with anger. Never before have I been this pissed. Part of me wants to lash out on Kai’s mother because she knows Garrett, she has seen him and obviously spoke with him. Why the hell is Kai hiding it from me? “Yeah, he told me he couldn’t come up to the cabin this weekend…he wouldn’t tell me why though so I was just curious. He’s kind of been avoiding me lately.” I throw on a cute pout in hopes that Mrs. McFallen will spit out whatever she knows. And it works too.

“Has he really?” she hollers, stomping her heel angrily into the carpet in her living room. She seems just as angry as I am knowing that Kai has been keeping secrets from me, his best friend. Mrs. McFallen has always liked me. She used to tell me all the time that I feel like a real son to her. “That boy, sometimes he really makes me mad!”

“You’re telling me,” I laugh, trying to hide the anger eating away at my gut.

“He’s been hanging out with one of my co-workers son, Garrett a lot lately. He told me that you were going out with them as well. Has he been lying?”

I don’t mean to get Kai in trouble but I nod anyways. Something inside me is incredibly happy at knowing that Kai is going to get a good scolding. The jerk deserves it. Apparently I haven’t been the only one he has been lying to. That only pisses me off more. When I get a hold of him, he is dead.

Mrs. McFallen sighs angrily and sits on the couch with both arms over her chest. “Garrett is a very nice kid. I don’t see why Kai wouldn’t want you to meet him. Garrett even helped him pick out a college to look into.”

“College?” I stiffen at the word. Not only is Kai hanging out with someone I know nothing about but now I’ve found out that he has already decided on what college he wants to go to!? He didn’t even ask me about it. Kai always asks for my help when it comes to any decision, especially one so big.

“He hasn’t told you that either?” Mrs. McFallen seems to be just as shocked as I am. When she sees the hurt expression I’m wearing, she stands and heads over to me. Pulling me into her chest, she holds me just like my mother would and suddenly I don’t feel mad. I’m not angry. I’m hurt. I feel betrayed. It may not be that big of a deal to some people but to me it is. Kai and I have always come in a set for as long as I can remember. We told each other everything, I’ve said this before. We ask each other for help when it comes to such big decisions. For him to pick out a college and not tell me, it hurts. It feels like I’ve lost his trust but I have no idea why. Have I done something wrong?

Did I say something that made him mad? I can’t remember anything that could have possibly caused this. Sure, I’ve made him cry a few times and there were times where we fought but we always made up. I always made sure to apologize, although my pride always told me not to. I still did it because Kai is my best friend and he may not know it but…he…mmm…I can’t believe I’m saying this but…he means the world to me. I can’t imagine a time without him. We promised each other we’d be friends forever…is Kai breaking that promise?

“Where…where does he plan to go?” I manage to ask while rapidly blinking my eyes. They suddenly feel very moist and I curse myself for being so emotional. This isn’t a big deal! I’m fine!

Mrs. McFallen hesitates and I don’t blame her because what she says just makes me feel worse. “West Virginia University.”

“That…that’s in a whole different state! It’s like a 12 hour drive!” I don’t mean to yell but the words just come out louder than I meant them to. My voice quivered as I said that and I make a mental note to shove a pole up Kai’s ass later for making me act this way. It’s all his damn fault!

“I’m sorry hun…if you want I’ll tell him to talk to you about it.”

“No, it’s fine. I’ll kick his ass and make him talk to me,” I growl and stomp over to the front door. Mrs. McFallen apologizes once more before I leave. I try to send her a smile but it comes out as more of a grimace and I sigh. Stupid Kai…what are you thinking?
♠ ♠ ♠
So you've all learned a bit about the mystery that is Kai
Any new idea's anyone? Why is he keeping it a secret? Hmmm...

Comment&Subscribe?