This Four Leaf Clover's All But Useless Now

003

White clouds fluff about in the sky above Alex as he manages to push himself out of the house, they would normally make him smile, but today he just doesn't feel like it.

He needs to get away from this for an hour or so, it is so much stress, it's just too much.

Without thinking he unlocks the car, which results in him just sitting there for a few minutes, head in his hands.

He thinks about the guilt he'll be left with if Jack dies and the last thing he said to him was for him to get out of his house. 
Alex and Jack have been friends since they were little kids. They grew up together, went to school together, but it is only recently that they got so close and Alex realises now that he's been missing out on this friendship for too long, because honestly, Jack is the best thing that had ever happened to him.

He sighs, pushing the key into the ignition and starting the engine. He doesn't even know where he's going. But he needs to get away.

-

He ends up outside St. Maries', he didn't even plan to go there.

He opens the car door, steeping out into the car park and realizes Jack is only a five minute walk from where he is now. But due to the suddenness of Alex coming to visit he doesn't know whether or not the hospital will allow him to see the younger man.

-

'Hi there, may I help you?' the receptionist asks with a warm smile. 
Alex blinks and nods, 'I'm here to see Jack Barakat.' 
He was waiting for her to say no, that Jack was resting and couldn't be disrupted. 
The girl taps away on her computer, turns back to Alex and smiles, 'Room 31, hon'' 
'Thanks.'