Sequel: City Lights
Status: Active

I Am the Ocean, I Am the Sea

Freedom

"You can't just go off and forget everyone here!" Juliet’s mother yelled threateningly.

Juliet ignored her mother and continued walking purposely to her bedroom. Twenty-one years she had had to live with an alcoholic for a mother. Twenty-one years she had had to take care of her mother. The woman who was supposed to care for her. And for twenty-one years, mental abuse was the thanks she had gotten. Juliet had had more than enough.

"Get back here Juliet Lynn Taylor! Don't you walk away from me when I'm talking to you!" Kim yelled after taking a long swig from the bottle of Jack Daniel’s in her hand.

"I've had it up to here with your drinking!” Juliet turned and screamed back at her mother, raising her hand high over her head for emphasis. “I’m done caring for you! Helping you, and getting nothing in return. Somehow, I’ve managed to keep myself together for twenty-one years, but I’m done. I’m out of here.”

Kim let out a howl that was a mixture of pain and rage and swung her arm forward, releasing the bottle of Jack which soared through the air and smashed into the way inches from Juliet’s head.

Juliet stared in wonder at her mother and Kim stared back, horrified at what she had done. Over those twenty-one years, she might have been mean, But she had never done anything to harm her daughter. Juliet’s eyes began to tear and she ran into her room, locking the door behind her.

"I'm sorry sweetie. You know mommy loves you. Please open the door?” Kim’s voice was low, with a slight shakiness to it.

Hearing the calmness in Kim's voice made Juliet want to forgive her. She slowly got up and made her way to the door but stopped, still uncertain of what to expect.

"Open the damn door, you fucking slut!" Kim snarled out through the door.

A loud banging began on the opposite side of the door. Juliet stood stunned for a moment, then steeled her nerves and began gathering up her clothes and belongings.

~~~

After an hour of packing her things, Juliet found a picture of her family. When they were still a family. Before her father had died. Before her mother had met her “dad replacement”, Dylan. Before all the drinking and the fighting. As she looked at it, Juliet realized this was her most prized possession. A picture of happiness. She stuffed the picture in her bag and made her way to the door.

It had been quiet for the past half hour. Kim was probably passed out downstairs on the couch. The door opened but made noise; Juliet stopped.

'Where are you doing to go Juliet?' she thought to herself.

Juliet shook her head and walked out of her room. Just as she thought, Kim was passed out on the couch. She was holding a bottle of vodka and the place
reeked of alcohol, but it didn't really bother her. She was used to the smell.

"I'll always love you mom. No matter what." Juliet whispered as she walked out the door.

She was finally free from her mother’s abusive ways.

The sun was shining and birds were chirping. She was going to miss Toronto. It was always going to be her home, but it was finally time to move on and be free.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this is the start to my new story. I really hope you like the beginning of it. I'd like some feedback, doesn't matter if it's good or bad. I'd just really like to know how I'm doing so far. Thank you.
(So this chapter has be rewritten and I would really like to thank GhostChicken for editing. You rock!)