Status: hopefully active!

Get Better With Time

Chapter 11

“Kalen! Kalen, wake up!” I groaned and rolled over, attempting to escape my annoying friends.

“Kalen. We have to go into London today.”

“I don’t want to go,” I groaned.

“Oh get up you lazy bum! Narcissa’s already waiting downstairs!” I pouted while throwing the covers back.

“Fine. I’m up. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to pick out clothes.”

“Don’t forget your strapless bra and tan underwear.” I rolled my eyes.

“I know. I’ve been trying on dresses for most of my life dearie. Just like you.” Zaila giggled, rolling her eyes before slamming my bedroom door shut. I looked in the mirror and groaned, my hair was a mess. I tousled it lightly before walking into my closet to find any outfit. I slipped into an outfit that I knew was extremely inappropriate for shopping. However, as a future Malfoy and a current McGregor, I had an image to uphold. I looked down at my still bare ring finger. Maybe actually having a ring would make this feel more real, or maybe it would really set in once I’d purchased my dream gown. I shook myself out of my thoughts and slipped my tiny feet into a pair of pointed toe flats. I walked onto the landing and down the stairs. As per usual, all of us were dressed to the nines. For not being muggles, we definitely had a proper hold on their fashions. I smirked at both Chloe and Zaila before kissing Narcissa on both cheeks in greeting.

“I am so sorry for the wait! I just couldn’t decide what to wear!” Narcissa smiled softly and patted my cheek.

“I understand completely. However, seeing you without your makeup on makes me ever so jealous. I wish I was gorgeous as you.” I blushed and looked down.

“I’m sure you’re quite a beauty without your makeup. Now, how about we start our trip to London?” We all walked over to the fireplace, where we flooed to The Leaky Cauldron.

“Now, I’ve found several shops that carry vintage style dresses. I figured we’d start at the farthest and work our way back towards The Leaky Cauldron.” I nodded in agreement.

“That sounds the simplest to me. What do you girls think?” Chloe and Zaila nodded. I could already tell this was going to be a long day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Four stores in and I still hadn’t found any dresses that fit what I was honestly looking for. We’d taken a break for lunch and were discussing the situation at hand.

“This is awful! I wish I wasn’t so damn picky,” I muttered as I picked at my absolutely delicious salad.

“You have a right to be picky sweetie. This is your wedding,” Chloe said, trying to comfort me.

“Your only wedding at that. Being picky is kind of required,” Chloe assured.

“I promise you’ll all be this picky when it comes to your weddings. It happens. I know it took me three months to find my dress when Lucius and I got married.”

“We don’t have three months Narcissa,” I whined exasperatedly. She chuckled.

“I have a feeling you’re going to love the next store, Kalen dear.” We paid for lunch and made our way to the next store. As we entered, I felt my entire face light up. It was beautiful. The entire place was filled with vintage dresses as well as any accessories one might need for a vintage wedding. I turned and flashed a smile in Narcissa’s direction. A saleswoman made her way towards us.

“How can I help you today?”

“My name is Kalen. I need to find a wedding dress? And bridesmaid’s dresses as well, since we’re here.”

“Well, I think you came to the right place Kalen! What did you have in mind?”

“Well, obviously I want a vintage style. I would like to try both short and long dresses. I just want to see what’s going to look the best on me.”

“Alright, how about I pull some choices for you all to look at?” I nodded and allowed her to leave and do her job.

“Oh Narcissa you were right! This place is perfect! I can’t believe you found it!”

“I knew you would like it! You know I would really love to see you in a long dress, it seems slightly more traditional than the short.” I nodded.

“Of course, but I really want to see how I would look in the shorter dress you know? Just an experiment.” Narcissa just nodded as the saleswoman approached us again.

“Alright Kalen. If you’ll follow me to the dressing rooms, we’ll pick which dresses you want to try on for the group!” I smiled and followed her into the back of the store. As I was slipping into the first dress along with a pair of shoes that the woman had brought me, she attempted some small talk.

“So, who did you bring with you today?”

“My two closest friends and my future mother-in-law.”

“That’s lovely of you to include her! What about your own mother?” I thought for a moment, carefully choosing my words before I spoke to the muggle woman.

“She’s away on business. We’re getting down to the wire on the wedding so I decided to go without her.” She nodded and helped me zip up the dress. She handed me a pair of white gloves that stopped at my wrist and then opened the door for me to show my group.

I smiled as I walked into the main room.

“What do you think,” I asked, mainly looking at Narcissa. She smiled widely.

“Oh Kalen. You look beautiful,” She said, grinning and holding her hands together.

“I love it,” Zaila said, smiling.

“It’s so weird to see you in a dress that’s meant for your wedding!”

“I know, Chlo. I love it, but I’m not too sure it’s what I really want.”

“I kind of agree. This is honestly the most beautiful I’ve seen the dress look on anyone, but I don’t quite think it’s perfect for you. Tell me about your groom honey.”

“Draco and I met years ago. We’ve been family friends for a long time and I guess we just fell in love.”

“I may be a little biased, but they truly are a beautiful couple. Very traditional though.” The woman thought for a moment before grinning.

“I think I know exactly what you need to try on! Give me a moment.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally an update! I know I promised updates on a more regular basis but I got busy once I moved back to my parents! I promise that I haven't given up on this! I still love it to death and I hope you guys do too! Love ya'll!
<3
Andrea