Status: hopefully active!

Get Better With Time

Chapter 7

The next day was wonderfully uneventful. Draco and his family, along with all of the rejected suitors, had gone back to their manors. Draco, however, would be back later that night for a dinner. I knew the first dinner after the announcement was going to be hell. We would be expected to put on a façade that had to fool our closest friends and family, which was a whole lot more difficult than the entire pureblood society. However, I couldn’t help but feel grateful that both of my parents were blundering idiots who had no idea of my true feelings, no matter what they assumed they knew. I slipped into a gold, sequin covered dress. I made a face in the mirror and waved my wand to style my hair in soft curls. I slipped on my black heeled booties and some simple black jewelry. I winked at my reflection and exited my room. The girls had left earlier that day, but I knew they would be meeting me at some point tonight. I took a deep breath and knocked on Draco’s door.

“Are you ready for dinner?” There was an almost awkward pause before he answered.

“Yes, I’m coming.” The door swung open abruptly.

“You look handsome,” I mumbled. He smirked.

“And you look very beautiful. It seems we complement each other wonderfully.” I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t get too far ahead of yourself. Let’s just get this over with.” And down to dinner we went. I greeted the girls with hugs and kisses on each cheek. Unfortunately, our greetings were cut short when I was called to sit by my fiancé. I sat down lightly on the edge of the chair awaiting the Dark Lord to speak before I began to eat.

“Tonight, we are privately honoring the joining of two families through the children. This will not be a night to be forgotten children.” With that, he sank in his chair and the house elves began bringing out our plates. I smiled and carried on comfortable conversation with my future mother-in-law, who was much brighter than I had ever caught on to. I looked down the table at Chloe who looked absolutely miserable talking to Gage. I sent her a small smile, trying to pick her spirits up. She smiled back before pointing over at Zaila who, strangely enough, seemed to be having a fairly decent time talking to Zabini.

“You know, some people aren’t just chosen based on looks,” Narcissa said to me. I looked at her sharply.

“I’m sorry?”

“I know you think that my son was chosen for you based on the amount of power you two seem to have, but that’s not the reason at all.”

“What was the reason then Mrs. Malfoy,” I asked, giving her a shrewd look. Draco leaned in closer, waiting to hear the answer before.

“Call me Narcissa, dear. Anyway, we’ve seen you two argue, but we know that there’s at least a possibility of something for the both of you. We just want you to be happy.” I scoffed and sent a half glare towards Draco.

“Call us fools, sweetheart, but we do know what we’re doing. This has been a long time coming actually.” My jaw dropped. My own mother agreed with them. I took a deep breath before standing up and looking at the Dark Lord.

“May I be excused, my Lord. I’m afraid I’m not feeling well.” He nodded and waved his hand, shooing me away. I stepped away from the table, pushed in my chair and then promptly left the room. My heels clacking against the stone floors was the only thing I could hear. They weren’t giving me any time to think this through, to rationalize what was truly going to happen to my life. That’s all I wanted. I didn’t even give a damn that I was to be married to a pompous ass; I just wanted time to think. And I didn’t think that it was too much to ask for.
♠ ♠ ♠
finally a new chapter!!!! I've been so wrapped up in school and writing my other things that i forgot all about this. i'm so sorry!!!! I still love you i promise! let me know what cha think:)
<3
Andrea