Status: hopefully active!

Get Better With Time

Chapter 9

“Muggles are so interesting,” Chloe said, giggling at people walking by us. Most looked too busy to notice us talking about them. Giggling along with her, I mocked a woman standing and talking on her cell phone. We all laughed and continued walking. We walked into a store and began to dig through the clothes. I rolled my eyes when I heard a muggle woman arguing with someone over the phone.

“They’re so petty. I just don’t understand,” I mumbled. Zaila nodded.

“An argument is only good if it’s face to face.” I nodded.

“Those are my favorite with Draco.”

“How else do you two argue? It’s not like we have those things,” Chloe said distastefully. I shrugged.

“In our Fourth year, he wrote me a very angry note telling me that I was wrong.”

“Did you write back?” I shrugged as I held a shirt against my chest, trying to decide if I liked it.

“If I remember correctly, I called him a dingbat, and then told him that he should have been in Gryffindor.”

“That was harsh,” Zaila said sarcastically.

“Give me a break! I was a Fourth year! It’s not like I was that smart!”

“Bull. I’m almost positive that you’re the only Slytherin who doesn’t pay the geniuses to write essays for you.” I rolled my eyes.

“I prefer it that way too.”

“Back to you and Draco! Do you think you’ll argue all the time?” I shrugged.

“Most likely. He’s a pigheaded idiot that I have to love. Whether or not we’re going to fight every day of our lives doesn’t really matter.” I turned around and continued digging through the racks of clothes. There was an awkward silence as the girls tried to think of what to say.

“I’m sorry Kalen,” Chloe said, looking down.

“We should be more sympathetic to your situation,” Zaila said, her blue eyes seeming to get darker.

“Especially since we’ll probably be in the same one soon enough.” I shrugged.

“It’s whatever. I’m not that worried about my situation. Draco is one of the best men my parents could have chosen for me. I’m lucky, even though there is an obvious personality mismatch.” I took a deep breath and held up an aqua colored dress.

“That’s cute! Do we have yet another formal dinner tonight?” I shrugged.

“I’ve completely given up on ever having an informal dinner until school starts, and even then I’ll probably dress up just out of habit,” I said groaning. Both girls giggled.

“Well, I think you should get it,” Chloe said, smiling.

“Material therapy is always the best,” Zaila said as she went through a different rack. I looked over at the massive pile of jeans and other clothing that I had swung over my arm.

“Yes, I guess this is material therapy.” I smirked and dug in my pocket. My father was, in the muggle world, a respectable man, so we were decently wealthy in that world as well.

“Can you believe that school is coming so soon? It doesn’t even feel this late in the summer.”

“I know. School’s going to be so different this year,” Zaila mumbled, pulling out a deep blue lace dress with white around the neck.

“You should get it. There’s a pair of shoes over there that would look perfect,” I said, looking over my shoulder.

“Do you ladies need any help,” One of the workers asked. I raised one eyebrow and shook my head.

“No, we’re fine.” She nodded and walked away.

“You could almost smell her disdain for us,” Chloe mumbled. “I’m not finding a dress here. I’ll just dig something out of your closet, Kal.” I shrugged.

“Whatever. Do we need anything else?”

“Honestly, we didn’t need any of this.” I giggled and carried everything over to the counter. I handed over the little piece of plastic once all the clothes were rung up and then gathered up all the bags to wait for the girls outside. I took a deep breath of the dirty London air.

“That woman gave me a weird vibe,” Chloe said as she exited the store.

“It’s almost like she heard us talking,” Zaila said, her blue eyes narrowing.

“Let’s hope not,” I said coldly, walking towards Diagon Alley so that I could get back home and get ready for this ridiculous dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
And finally another chapter! You can thank my friend in Australia for wanting to skype at 4 o'clock this morning:) Yay! I love y'all! Thank you for keeping up with this! Let me know how you feel by commenting, subscribing, or recommending and make sure you read my other stories:) They could always use some lovin'! Love y'all!

<3
Andrea