Magic's How-To

How to Sneak Out

He pressed his forehead against the cool glass and took a deep breath. He wasn't going to kill anyone today. Killing was a bad thing. He kept telling himself that even as his guardian continually shoved the thoughts into his head. He wanted to strangle the girl sometimes but he had heard that that was frowned upon. He had always found it highly ironic that not only were he and his twin brother two of the only Necro Half-breeds to ever venture onto the grounds of the Academy for an education, but they were also the perfect example of the confusion that the Half-breeds seemed to cause for everyone. After all, they had the same blood, but only one of them had a guardian angel. Many had asked why one would and not both. Others had gone further and asked why at all. For all he cared they could have her. For some reason, he had gotten stuck with a guardian angel who was convinced that he not only had a soul but that she could save it. If it weren't for the fact that his brother found her amusing, her probably would have tested out what killing her would do.

Hendrik Zorn took a deep breath, but refused to open his eyes. Instead he focused on the things around him. He knew that if he could do that than he wouldn't have to worry about what he was feeling inside. He could control it. It wasn't the easiest thing, but it was something that he was well-versed in. Ever since he had been a child, he had had to learn how to control his temper. He could remember the times that they hadn't. He generally regretted those days, but he couldn't say that that was always the truth. There were days when...well...there were days when he would like to allow that kind of thing to happen all over again. After all, it was what some people deserved, even if his stupid guardian didn't seem to think so. Get out of my head Beatris, his thoughts were a menacing growl that the girl simply shrugged off. She had patience that went beyond that of a saint. Then again, it seemed at times as if her patience would drive a saint insane.

Hendrik pushed away from the window and turned, taking the two steps needed to cross the room and jerk open the door. "Distract her!" The words sounded like a curt order to Clay who arched an amused eyebrow in question, but in all actuality they were a plea his brother well knew. He didn't wait for an answer though as he stuck his head back in the room and slammed the door shut. He could feel Beatris withdraw from his mind and let out a sigh of relief. He needed a distraction too, but he knew that he wasn't going to find it here. Moving back to the chilled over window, Hendrik waved a hand and watched as the ice holding the window close began to melt and slip away. A satisfied smirk tilted his lips. Sometimes it was very good to be a magic user...even if most everyone you knew seemed to hate your guts. Oh well, there was an up and a down to everything and in this case, he would take those gladly.

He reached over and turned on Metallica, allowing the music to fill the room and swell before he even considered shoving open the window. He stilled his body and senses for a moment. Reaching out, he found them both unchanged. He could only hope he wasn't losing his touch and was reading their patterns right. If he wasn't, they deserved to catch him. Slipping first one leg out the window and onto the brittle snow and then the other, he eased himself out of the window and out onto the roof. He murmured under his breath and allowed a spell to close the window for him. It was just another benefit of being what he was. Two magics. Of course when you could never look anyone in the eyes without a barrier, it was just as much of a curse as it was a blessing. Hendrik shook his head to dispel the thought as he began to move cross the roof.

Ice pulled at his balance trying to bring him off his feet, but he pushed through taking each slip and slid in stride. He froze on the second roof from his window, both feet planted firmly on the slanted surface. He could smell something in the air. The scent of magic washed over him and caused a soft growl to slip from his lips. It wasn't familiar magic. Of that he was absolutely certain. That fact along made him feel like a cat rubbed the wrong way. He jumped to the side and felt an energy spell rush pass him, slamming into the roof where he had been moments before. He came down and realized his mistake too later.

He had landed on a sheet of ice.

His chin hit the roofing titles with a sickening crack, slamming his jaw close. His body slid almost bonelessly off the roof and onto a pile of snow below. A groan left his lips as he allowed his head to loll to the side. Another mistakes as the bruised appendage began to ache and throb in retaliation. "One down," the words drifted to his ear only to be discarded. It was too much to think about now. He would worry about it when his head started aching.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright this is a new co-write between myself and the lovely Miss StupidChariotsOnFire. We will explain the magic as we go so if you're confused don't worry!