A Lot of Potential

Funeral

A blonde girl with pale skin opened the door, smiling lightly at us. "Hello!" she piped with a thick British accent.

"Hey Paige." Alex nodded and smiled at her.

"Alex it's very nice to see you!" she laughed, hugging him.

"You too. This is Haley."

"Ello Haley! It's very nice to meet you." she said, shaking my hand.

"Hi," I smiled. "very nice to meet you too."

"Please come in out of the cold!" she hastily said, ushering us in under the warmth of the indoors. "My mother and father is in the kitchen."

"Okay." he nodded, pulling me by the hand to the kitchen.

"Alex!" a female with long brown hair and matching brown eyes as his called.

"Nes, doll it's good to see you." he said, bringing his older half-sister into a hug.

"It's good to see you too. How are you doing?"

"I'm coping." he half smiled, turning his gaze to me. "Nessa, this is Haley. My girlfriend."

"Hello Haley. It's very wonderful to meet you and oh very nice of you to come all the way to London for this sad occasion."

"It's no problem."

"Where's Lily and David?" Alex laughed.

"Lily escaped to the back porch. David is out doing something in the garden. Sommer will be here soon." she answered, walking to a screen door and glaring outside of it.

"It's raining?" he raised his eyebrows, shaking his head. "I swear my half-family is weird."

"Shut it Alexander." she laughed, pushing the door open. He followed her outside, pulling me along with him.

The porch was covered with a awning, keeping the rain out. I spotted Alex's mother sitting in a rocking chair with a small child in her lap. In a bench across from her sat a young looking woman with pale skin, blue eyes, and blonde hair. She looked into the garden where a tall, skinny man was, picking out tomatoes. "Good morning." she spoke, looking up at us, plastering a smile on her ageless face.

"Good morning Lily." he smiled back at her, leaning down and giving her a hug.

"It's good to see you son." she nodded. "Who's this pretty little thing?" she asked, turning her eyes to me.

"That's his girlfriend." Isobel spoke, rubbing the small child's back. "The girl I was talking about earlier. She's a pretty one ain't she?"

I shyly smiled at her, blushing lightly. "Yeah she is. What's your name dear?" she said happily.

"Haley." I quietly said, shy to say anymore.

"It's very nice to meet you Haley."

"Very nice to meet you too."

"Alex, your niece is wanting you." his mom laughed.

"Alex you didn't tell me you were a uncle." I smiled, staring into his eyes.

He smiled back and laughed. "Only the best." he laughed, picking up the small child from his mother's lap. "Babe, this is baby Carly."

"Hi sweetheart." I smiled at her, taking in her similar looks to her uncle.

"This is Sommer's baby. Lets go inside and play!" he laughed, pulling the door open. I followed him back inside, setting next to him in the living room floor. He laid her on the floor, tickling her stomach, making her laugh a lot.

"She's so cute."

"I know." he smiled, kissing me. "I love kids."

"I do too."

"One day babe, you and I should have one together." his smile turned into a grin. "Not now, but one day." he pointed and narrowed his eyes at me.

I smiled like a idiot. Thinking about having a family with Alex felt right. "One day."

The front door opened and slammed shut, making our eyes look away from each other. A girl who looked similar to Alex and Nessa stood at the doorway smiling at us. Alex stood up, leaving Carly and I in the floor. "Alexander! Little brother of mine, quit growing old on me." she said, pulling him into a large hug.

"Lovely to see you."

"Very indeed. Who's this?"

"That's my girlfriend Haley." he smiled.

"What happened to Lisa?" she asked, feeling a bit rueful afterwards.

"She cheated on me. I broke up with her." he shrugged.

"Oh. Well Haley it's nice to meet you, even though the circumstances are a little rough."

"Nice to meet you too." I nodded, staring at my feet.

"Where's my mum?" she asked, picking up Carly.

"On the back porch."

"Okay." she said, walking out of the room.

"You okay babe?" he asked, sitting back down next to me. "You look a little sick."

"I feel fine. Just tired." I shrugged.

"After the funeral you can sleep, I promise."

"What time is it?"

"General time or the funeral?"

"I don't care, just give me a time." I said, laying my head into his side.

"The funeral is at 2:30 and it's now 12:25." he murmured, kissing my jaw.

"Mmm. Alex, I'm starting not to feel good."

"Well I don't need you sick on me." he frowned. "What's wrong?"

"I feel nauseous."

"Survive the afternoon please."

"I'll try."

"Haley?" he said in a quiet whisper.

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you too." I whispered back, moving closer to his side. He grabbed my hand and began playing with my fingers. I laid my head on his shoulder, hoping to never move again.
______________________________________________________

After a hour of people coming and going it was time to get ready. Alex dressed in a black tux, his eyes and attitude growing sadder due to the time coming closer to his brother's burial. I put on my dress and a pair of black heels, throwing my coat on over it.

We got in a car and rode back to a London cemetery where guests slowly started to arrive. Alex pulled out a black umbrella, opening it up, and pulled me to his side. We walked carefully to the graveside with the rest of his family. The rain fell heavily around us, easily getting mixed up with the tears on some's faces. I kept my posture. I hated funerals. Even though I didn't know some, I always ended up crying.

I looked up at him, standing tally over me. His eyes glued to his brother's casket. Right on the dot, the funeral started at 2:30 exact. The preacher's monotone voice told stories of Tom's lifetime, dreams, wants, fears. I kept my hand interlocked with Alex's, rubbing small circles with my thumb into his for comforting support. He didn't cry, when I knew deep down he wanted to. He remained strong.

"Tom's brother, Alexander, has prepared a eulogy for us today. Please welcome him to do so." the preacher nodded in his direction.

He cleared his throat, looking at me dearly. He faced the crowd and started, "This for sure is a heartbreaking day. We've lost such a, a amazing person." he paused, taking a deep breath. "I know Tom has a special place in each and everyone of you's hearts. Personally, he has a huge part in mine. He was a big brother to me, he owned his role. Like a actor in a movie, he played the part well. I could confess anything to him. We could talk about anything without judgement or lecture. He was great with advice. Helping me out with the girls. He built me into the person I am today."

Everyone's eyes were fixed on him. Practically all crying. I felt a tear escape my eye, feeling fully understanding of their loss.

"He was a clown, always joking around. He could be very serious at the appropriate times. As a friend, he was the best. He was kind to all and very loyal. Yet, he could be very immature at times.. but who isn't?" he laughed lightly with all of the guests. "He was a nine year-old at heart. He left much unfinished business, stories yet to unfold and tales left to be retold. I vow myself to finish what he's started. Now lets remember the special moments he left us. And with that, I hope his memory continues to live over and in us."

Everybody began clapping. I threw my arms around him, pulling him close to me as he began to break down and cry. I rubbed my hands up and down his back, trying my best to console him. He wiped away his tears and kissed me softly. "I love you." I whispered in his ear, bringing his spirits up.

"I love you too. I just can't believe he's gone."

"I know. I'm sorry." I say, resting my cheek against his chest. He ran his fingers through my hair and kissed my forehead.

We watched the casket being lowered into the ground. Alex stiffened at the sight, holding himself together again. Before I knew it, the dirt covered the hole. We stood there for another ten minutes after everyone left. He shook his head angrily. "I wish they would of put a stop to his facade."

"What?" I asked, a bit confused.

"His drinking facade. He drunk himself to death Haley."

"Oh." I managed to choke out.

"Are you ready to leave?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

We walked to the car and got in the backseat, him speaking fluently to the taxi driver the instructions to his father's friend's house. We sat in silence, keeping ourselves still intertwined. I laid my head on his shoulder with my hand in his. He slumped over, laying his head on mine. We pulled into the driveway of a large modern-style home. There was woods all around it, making me curious. He pulled me out of the car and walked us around the sidewalk to the back of the house. There was a smaller apartment-like building behind it. He pushed the door open, letting us in. My first thought was the bedroom. I dragged him to the bed, kicking my shoes off. He did the same, laying down next to me on the king-sized bed.

"Nap time?" he smiled, kissing my lips.

"Yes please. I'm tired as fuck."

"I know you are."

"Goodnight I guess?" I giggled, kissing him again.

"Good-nap." he said, pushing my hair from my eyes. "You'll be back up soon."

"That is probably accurate."

"Sleep babe."

"Okay." I said, shutting my eyes. I curled up next him, heat radiating from his skin. I sucked in the warmth and drifted off into my nap.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, I hope you didn't cry too hard :'(
I don't have much to say here.. except it was sad. I started bawling while trying to write this.
Next chapter will have more zest to it. Don't give up on me now.
Comment & Subscribe.