A Lot of Potential

You're Right, I Love Her

I sat in the white hospital room for what seemed to be forever. I was getting bored, giving up on flipping through the ridiculous amount of television channels. So many, there was nothing on. I anticipated my father's arrival, a bit relieved, then again scared. I heard the door open on the other side of the room, making me snap my head up. "Daddy?" I shrieked, waiting for a response.

"No, it's just me." Alex said, looking tired as hell.

"Babe, you need to sleep."

"No, I'm fine." he objected, rubbing his eyes.

"Alex, please?" I whispered, really wanting him to sleep. He needed it desperately.

"No, no. I'm fine. Are you hungry?" he asked on cue when my stomach growled. He laughed, and stood up. "How do I always know these things?" he smiled, kissing my forehead.

"I'm not sure if I can."

"You should be able to. I'll go check with the nurse." he breathed in my face, leaving the sent of wintergreen mint behind. "I'll be right back."

"Okay." I said, watching him leave again. I looked outside the window to see dark clouds in the sky. I believed it was supposed to snow today. I heard the door open again, thinking it was just Alex. "Was it supposed to snow today, Alex?" I turned my head, seeing it wasn't him. Dr. Bennett, who was my doctor last night and my doctor when I scratched my knee up. "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were Alex."

"It's fine. How are you feeling Miss Maddox?" he cleared his throat, looking at me sincerely with ocean blue eyes.

"I feel okay, just hungry." I shrugged, looking back outside the window.

"I can get you some food of you'd like."

"No, no. Alex went to get me some. That is if I can eat." I nervously laughed, feeling a bit awkward in the room by myself with him.

"Well, if you need anything, let us know." he smiled warmly, running his hand up and down my leg. I froze in shock, wishing I wasn't in the state I was in. He turned around and left the room, two minutes before Alex came back.

He brought me back some eggs and bacon, knowing my taste a little too well. "Here, love." he smiled, setting the tray on the table that stretched across my bed.

"Thanks." I smiled back, picking up the fork. I stuck a bit of egg in my mouth and began to chew. Once I swallowed, I looked at him. He sat in the chair, looking off into space. "Alex, do you want a bite?"

"Nah." he shook his head, keeping his glare in the same place.

"Please?" I tried to laugh, feeling a little pain in my side.

"I guess."

I stabbed a piece of egg on the fork, sticking it close to his mouth. I pulled it off of the fork with his teeth, chewing quickly. "Ew hospital food." he laughed.

"It tastes fine to me."

"Probably because you're hungry."

"That's probably correct." I said, taking another bite.

"Your dad will be here soon." he said with a glassy stare.

"Okay."

"Yep."

"Babe, what's on your mind?" I blurted out, realizing his gloomy attitude.

"Everything." he shrugged.

"What's everything come down to?"

"Last night. I'm still in shock, love."

"Shock?" I asked. I was confused, I didn't know what he meant.

"Just how perfect it was, then you fell to the ground hurt. Then I find out a few hours later that you were pregnant with my baby. A piece of me, dead." he shook his head for a moment, then his eyes getting wide. I followed his gaze to see Ella standing in view. She kept quiet, looking at her feet.

"Ella, please don't say anything." I whispered. She nodded in response and smiled.

"I'm gonna go." he said, his voice breaking. He shot up from the chair and was out of the room in a second. The confusion returned. Why did he run out like that?

"Haley, how are you feeling?" she asked, pushing my hair out of my face.

"I'm okay I guess. Where's my dad?"

"He's in the lobby getting you a Sprite." she smiled, taking a seat in Alex's chair. "You know, it's really lonely living in that big house without you and Bella." she sighed, rubbing her temples. "I'd really love it if you both came home."

"I sometimes wanna go home. But I'm still afraid." my tone turned into a whisper.

"Honey, everything is back to normal I swear. Where have you been staying?"

"I've been with Alex. The whole time I've been gone, the situation there wasn't better." I frowned, rethinking the day he told me his brother died.

"I know sweetheart." she squeezed my hand. "How was his parents dealing with you being there?"

"They didn't really mind. They were gone to London half of my visit. Alex took me there for about four days I think and we came home."

"Is it pretty there?"

"Gorgeous. I liked it." I smiled.

"And what I heard Alex say when I walked in.. is it true?" she whispered cautiously, watching the door for my father.

"Yeah." I sighed. "I had appendicitis and the poison killed it."

"I'm so sorry."

"It's fine. I think Alex is a little upset over it."

"I can tell." she said, looking at the door. "Hi Rob."

He walked into view. He looked different. I couldn't place my finger on it. He looked at me, and sat the Sprite in front of me. "What's Alex upset over?" he asked, making me freeze up. Lie. I told myself, trying to force it from my lips.

"Alex is upset that his birthday was yesterday and he ended up spending it in the ER." I laughed quietly.

"How are you feeling baby girl?" he asked, pulling me into a light hug, trying not to hurt me. I stiffened, a little bit scared, but I hugged back.

"Okay I guess. Just exhausted."

"Rest up, you'll get to go home in a few days."

"Yeah, that'll be the best part. Comfort." I laughed, moving around in the rock solid bed.

"I'll leave you two alone." Ella said, getting up from the chair. "I'll go check into my doctor's appointment early, Rob." she smiled, walking out of the room.

"Ella had a doctor's appointment for the baby today?" I asked, trying to keep things from getting bad.

"Yes. We're supposed to find out what she's having." he grinned, thinking about his new unborn child. "I'm glad I'm getting to be a father again. I enjoyed raising you and Bella, and now that you're both going to be gone soon, this gives me another occupation."

"By this summer, Dad."

"I know. I miss having you and her in the house." he sighed. "Haley, I'm sorry for everything that I did. Getting drunk, yelling at you, physically abusing you.. I'm sorry baby doll. I just can't live knowing both of my children hate me."

"Dad, I don't hate you. I'm just upset with you, okay? Why did you drink in the first place? That's the first time of my seventeen years did I ever see you pick up a bottle." I spoke carefully, taking a deep breath.

"I had a lot of problems on my hands at the time. Ella set me straight the moment I was sober and you never came back. Nor did Bella." he shook his head. "I hope you can forgive me for all I've done Haley. I love you darling and I don't ever want to hurt you again."

"Like what?" I questioned, ignoring the last part of his statement.

"Bella left. Ella being pregnant, going back to school, having a new house. Memories of your mother coming to haunt me."

"Oh." I quietly said. "I forgive you, Daddy."

His eyes screamed with happiness. He reached down and hugged me tightly, trying not to hurt me. "Where's Alex? I need to apologize to him too."

"I'm not sure. He ran out on me when Ella got here. I think it's over our babe-" I caught myself, realizing who I was talking to. He raised his eyebrows, forming his next question in his brain.

"Your what?" he asked calmly.

"Nothing."

"Tell me now Haley Noel." he sternly said. I looked up at him, who's face was hard as a rock.

"No. There's nothing to tell." I shrugged, looking up at the television.

"Apparently there is or you wouldn't of said anything and then stopped."

I considered telling him. I was scared. Scared on my part, telling him and pissing Alex off, or scared on his part, my dad freaking out on him. "I can't."

"Why not?" he crossed his arms, still looking at me with a strong glare.

"It's too hard."

"How?"

"Because, something close to us faded." I faintly said, biting my trembling lip.

"Haley, I don't understand. Just tell me what it is." he said, becoming frustrated.

"Dad," I started. "don't be mad."

"Why would I be mad?"

"Because I was pregnant." I choked, watching him turn pale.

"Is this why you're in here? You had a miscarriage?" he asked with a panicked tone.

"No, no. My appendix busted on me. The poison in it hurt the fetus. I didn't even know I was until this morning."

"So that's what Alex is upset about? You should be happy that it happened and not be raising a kid in high school."

I got angry. My muscles tensed as I listened to his words. I shook my head, rubbing my upper stomach. "We would have been great parents at our age." I harshly said, looking back up at him.

"Haley, you guys are still young. You're just a junior in high school. You don't need a kid."

"I've been on birth control for the last year and it failed. Accidents happen." I said, ignoring him.

"Does these things called condoms still exist?" he spat back, getting more angry.

"Yup. I'd like for you to leave." I simply stated, taking a deep breath.

"Haley, I'm sorry."

"No Dad, save it. Go."

"Can I ask you one more question? When you leave the hospital, will you please come home?" he asking pleadingly.

"Why? So you can keep me there forever and not let me see Alex? I think not."

"No, so I know you're okay."

"Well it would be kind of hard when you're at school and Ella's working. I'm not going to have the best of times with getting up. I just had surgery for Christ's sake." I shook my head and bit my lip.

"What about Alex? Wouldn't he need to be in school?" he asked.

"We just have three days this week. Then we're out for winter break." I shrugged. "If all else fails, I can go to school. I need to one day to take my finals."

"I want you home." he sternly said, walking towards the door.

"No." I said, but he was gone.

I didn't want to go home. Not without my sister being there with me. I felt utterly sick in a matter of seconds. I felt like I was going to get violently sick all over the place. I felt fear run through my veins, knowing I was alone. I couldn't breathe. I was suffocating. I hit the little red button on the side of the bed, awaiting a nurse to come to my aid.

________________________________________
Alex's POV:

"Bro, I don't know what to do." I sighed, slamming my forehead into the table Jack and I sat at.

"What do you mean?" he asked, really confused. I still hadn't told him about Haley's problems and why she was here. He just knew she was sick.

"Dude, she was pregnant.." I choked on my words, looking back up at him.

"Alex, what the fuck happened last night?"

"We were upstairs in that house, fixing to go to extremes. Everything was so perfect, like nothing existed. Just her and me." I looked back down at the table, then my shaking hand. "Then in a matter of seconds, she was grabbing her side and crying out in pain. I took action and called a ambulance."

"When the ambulance showed, everybody in the place thought it was the cops. Everyone bailed the fuck out. I tried calling you I don't know how many times, and you never answered. I was worried sick about you guys. Then you called me this morning, telling me she's in the hospital. What else was wrong with her bro?"

"Her appendix ruptured and-" I paused, not ready to let the words come out of my mouth.

"And?"

"She was pregnant." I whispered, wiping a tear out of my eye.

"What?" he asked in shock. "Was it yours?"

"Dude, what the fuck? Yes, it was mine."

"Alex, I'm so sorry bro."

"We didn't even know until last night. She was only about three weeks and, and, and.." I stuttered, trying to hold back tears. "I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it does. A piece of me, dead. Like what the fuck am I supposed to do? Pretend everything is okay?"

"The best thing you can do is be strong for her. If you really love her, there's always room in the future to try it again." he said softly. Jack could be pretty serious when he wanted, but usually it was the same attitude. He was right this time.

"You're right. I love her. I need to be strong for her. Thanks bro."

"I don't want to cut you off but I gotta get going. I have a lot of shit to do today. Happy late birthday and remember to stay strong." he stood up. I stood up with him, pulling him into a hug.

"Thanks dude. I'm gonna go back up and be with her." I tried to smile.

"You should really get you some sleep. You look like the living dead." he laughed. "Later."

"Thanks asshole. Bye." I laughed for the first time in a while. I jogged towards the elevator, hitting the up button. Once it opened, I hoped in, hitting the three quickly. The silver doors opened, revealing the third floor. I turned down the now-familiar hallway and walked quickly to the room.

I pushed open the door to hear a loud sob coming from her. I ran to the other side of the room where I could see what was going on. She had her hands covering her crying face and her hair pulled up. "What's wrong?" I asked the nurse, who was padding Haley's neck with a wash cloth.

"She got sick and she's dehydrated. I have to plug her back into the IV. Can you help me hold her still?" she asked, prying her hands away from her face. I nodded and sat on the edge of her bed, touching her face soothingly and grabbed her hand. She opened her eyes and looked at me, her eyes screaming for help.

"Baby, be still. She's gonna make you feel better, I promise." I whispered, watching her nod. She took a deep breath as the nurse stuck the needle through her arm, biting her lip and squeezing my hand. "It's all over now."

"I know." she sniffled. "Thank you." she said to the nurse as she walked out of the room.

I sighed, letting go of her hand and standing up. Retreating to the chair that I sat in the whole time we've been here. "How was the talk with your dad?" I asked her, trying to sidetrack her from me leaving her side.

"It was okay." she shrugged. "How much trouble do you think we'd get in if I scooted over and let you in the bed?" she smiled lightly, sliding carefully to the right side of the bed. She padded the space next to her, making me automatically get up.

"Maybe not too much." I smiled back, easing into the space. I threw my arm around her shoulder, letting her rest her head on my chest. "I love you." I whispered, bending my head down, kissing her pale lips.

"I love you too. I can't believe you just kissed me after I threw up."

"I don't give a shit." I smiled, kissing her again. "Doesn't bother me one bit."

"Good." she said, grabbing a fistful of my shirt and running her lips into mine. Her body was weak, but yet she was way stronger than I was at the moment. I let her kiss me until she ran out of breath. She laid her head back on my chest, snuggling close to me.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better. Just my stomach hurts a little and I'm cold and exhausted." she said, looking up at me with her gorgeous brown eyes.

"I'll warm you up." I smirked, running my lips into her forehead. "Also get you some sleep baby. You need it."

She nodded, closing her eyes and pulled the annoying blue colored blankets over her and me. I rested my head on hers, closing my tired eyes. I heard soft snores coming from her, knowing it was okay to fall asleep myself. I snapped my head up slowly, kissing her forehead, then laid it back on hers. I shut my eyes, falling asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aw the last part was cute. :D
I honestly love writing this. I enjoy everyone of y'all's comments and support I get off of this.
I will shape it up and get it back into a better position in the next chapter or two. Bare with me.
Comment & Subscribe. c: