A Lot of Potential

Complicated Affliction

I told Kara that I would go with her shopping for a dress to wear to her cousin's wedding. She decided to take me out of Baltimore to another state.. Virginia. To a store I've never even heard of. Alex encouraged me to go, but told me to be back by midnight because I was staying with him while my dad and Ella were gone for something important that I wasn't allowed to know about. Bella was out partying like usual, and Alex's parents were gone doing whatever they do on the weekends, so I decided what the hell.

The time was pushing 1:40 AM as we were about forty-five minutes from Baltimore. Alex was pretty pissed off when he texted me around 12:10, asking me where I was. I could tell he was very upset with me due to his stupid short text messages. I sighed, ignoring his last text and looking at the dark road ahead of us.

"What's wrong?" Kara asked, keeping her eyes glued to the road.

"Alex is being a fucking.. eh." I rolled my eyes.

"Because it's late?"

"Yup. He's probably tired.."

"Most likely. Rian is like that when he's tired." she laughed, steering towards the right. "But he should loosen up! Spring break is next week!"

"Thank god! I really don't want time to move so fast now." I sighed, thinking about the boys leaving us.

"I know, I'm going to miss the guys after they graduate."

"Especially Alex there to entertain me and tutor me." I sighed and frowned.

"It'll just be you and I next year won't it? Kaylyn graduates too, right?" she asked as a loud pop came from her tire. "Fuck!" she cursed, slowing her car down. She pulled off the edge of the road and parked, getting out quickly to observe her blown tire. "Fuck, fuck, fuck! What do we do?"

"What are our options?" I asked, walking around the side of her car to see the damaged tire.

"We either wait for someone to come down the road and flag them down for help, or we call my parents or Rian." she said, pulling out her phone from her pocket. "Lets try my parents first and if they don't answer, we'll try Rian." I nodded, staying quiet as she tried to make a phone call. "Dammit, my parents aren't answering." she sighed, now trying Rian's number. I could hear it ringing and going straight to voice mail. "Fuck my life!"

"I'll call Alex?" I took a deep breath as I said his name. She nodded and got down on her knees, examining her tire. I walked off the side of the road, pulling up Alex's name in my contacts. I bit my lip and held the phone to my ear as it rang.

"Haley, where the hell are you?" he said sharply, taking a deep breath.

"Right now, I'm at the side of a highway. We had a fucking blow out." I angrily said back, looking to see a car pulling over on the side of the road. "We don't know what the hell to do with this problem. We tried calling her parents and got no answer."

"God dammit." he sighed. "Where exactly are you?"

"We're on the highway towards Greenbelt."

"Damn, that's a far ass drive. Who's Kara talking to?"

"Someone stopped to help us. I don't know the car." I said, looking over my shoulder at Kara and two men standing there.

"Okay, I'm on my way. I'll be there as soon as I can be." he said quickly. "I love you, baby. Please for god's sake, be safe."

"I will be, I promise. I love you too, you be safe. Don't rush yourself."

"I can't make you any promises knowing the girl I'm engaged to is out on the side of a highway with no help." he laughed, giving me a little comfort. "Bye, love."

"Bye." I said, hitting the end button on my blackberry. I stuck it back into my jacket pocket and stomped back up to the roadway. "Kara, Alex is coming." I say, looking up to see two familiar faces I honestly didn't want to see. Lucas and his older brother, Parker, were down on their hands and knees looking at the flat. Alex was going to be pissed off when he got here..

"Hi Haley." Parker looked up, seeing who I was. "It's been forever since I've seen you!"

"Yeah, it's good to see you too!" I said, being a total fake. God please just kill me..

"You're looking good! Hell, it's been forever since I've seen you. It's gotta be about two years now? How have you been doing?"

I had to admit, I liked Parker. He was a good guy and everything, but the only thing that set him back now in my book is that he's Lucas' brother. "I'm good." I nodded, looking into his eyes. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket as I received a call. "Hold on, let me take this." I said, pulling my phone out of my pocket and walked down the opposite direction of them. "Babe, you shouldn't be driving and on the phone."

"I'll manage. You said Greenbelt right?"

"Yes." I sighed, looking over my shoulder. "Promise me not to be pissed off when you get here."

"What? Why?" he asked instinctively.

"Your favorite person is here."

He was silent for a moment, then I heard him mumbling something. "Joy."

"He's with his older brother Parker, he's a nice guy so don't be a dick to him." I quietly said, making sure no one heard me. Kara stood at the back of her car, peering my direction.

"I'm getting close." he said, taking in a deep breath.

"Alex! I told you to slow down and not rush here."

"Baby, I told you I couldn't make you any promises. I see two cars on the side of the road, could that possibly be you guys?"

"Most likely since I'm considering the fact that I see the headlights to your Range Rover, then yes, that is us." I said, walking quickly past Kara and the boys. I hung up on him, watching him pull to the side of the road. He quickly bolted out and shut the door, meeting me halfway.

"Are you okay?" he asked, wrapping a arm around my waist.

I snorted, shaking my head. "Nope, I just totally got hit by three cars."

"Quit."

"You asked a obvious question.." I rolled my eyes. "Be nice."

"I'll honestly try." he mumbled as we got closer to the car. "What the hell did you drive over, Kara?" he laughed, giving her hell.

"Nothing that I'm aware of! I was just driving and it popped." she sighed.

"How bad is the flat? Is it completely off the rim?" he asked Parker, who was messing with the tire.

"Yup, it's down to the rim all right."

"Shit." he said, rolling his eyes. "Way to go Kara."

"Alex, shut the fuck up. I'm not in the mood for your shit!" she hissed, turning her back to us.

I elbowed him in the side, giving him a death glare. "Alex, that wasn't funny."

"Damn baby, I'm sorry!"

"Shut up and help Parker fix the tire so we can go home." I commanded, ignoring Lucas' existence. Alex rolled his eyes as he crawled under her car, trying to get her spare tire. He slid it out, setting it on it's side by the blown side.

"Shit, I need a jack." he said, sprinting towards his car. He came back with a wrench and jack in his hands.

"I'll be in the car." I heard Lucas mumble before he turned and walked to his brother's silver Honda.

I watched Alex smirk and laugh quietly to himself as he slid the jack into place, amplifying Kara's CR-V off the ground. He unscrewed the lugs to her tire, handing them to me to hold. I watched him and Parker pull the damaged tire from the car. They rolled it to the edge of the highway where the shoulder ended, setting it on it's side.

Alex walked over to the spare, picking it up and putting it into place. He grabbed the lugs out of my hands, screwing them back into place. "Well this should be good." he said, making a round on the lugs again to make sure they were tight. He brought the car down to all fours, pick the jack up and taking it back to his car. He returned a second later, shaking Parker's hand. "Thanks man."

"No problem bro. I apologize if my brother seems to be a dick." Parker said, turning halfway around to look at his brother sitting in the car. "Wait a minute, aren't you Alex Gaskarth?"

Alex gave him a confused look. A smile spread across his face as he looked down. "Parker Fields. It's been forever man."

"Indeed it has!"

"You two know each other?" I asked, giving them both a weird look.

"Yeah! I met Parker when I was a freshman. Him, Jack and I used to hang out." Alex laughed, looking up at the stars above us.

"Damn, how is Jack?" Parker laughed along.

"The asshole is doing good I suppose. The little bitch has a girlfriend to keep him busy."

"The insults between you guys never end, do they?"

"Not until the day I die." Alex smiled, flashing me a smile. Kara scratched her head awkwardly, walking towards the driver's side of her car.

"I'm gonna go home now." she bit her lip, getting inside her car.

"Kara, do you want me to follow you?"

"No Alex, it's cool. I'm almost home anyway." she shrugged. "Thanks for coming with me Haley."

"No problem. Call me if you need anything, okay?" I answered, watching her nod in response. She started the car and sped off down the road leaving Alex, Parker and I there in silence.

"So.." Parker said, breaking the silence. "Haley what happened between you and Lucas? Y'all used to be best friends, now you're not talking."

I heard Alex laugh and shake his head. "He's not supposed to be around Haley anymore."

"Why not?"

"Well, he says he's in love with her right after he tells her she's not a easy fuck." he rolled his eyes.

"Oh damn." Parker said with wide eyes.

"And I may have punched him in the face at the school winter bonfire."

"You did what?" he erupted in laughter. "That was you who popped him in the mouth? What the hell did he do?"

"I don't take it well when a boy kisses my fiance to piss me off." Alex smiled, wrapping a arm around me and pulled my closer to him.

"You and Haley?"

"Yup." he nodded, smiling even wider.

"What ever happened to that chick, Lisa?" he asked, shaking his head.

"Man, she cheated on me. She's out of the picture now."

"I disliked her so much."

"Same here. Well I ought to get Haley and I home. It's gettin' kinda late." he said, pulling me back towards the car. "It was really good to see you dude!"

"You, Jack, and I need to get together one day!" Parker waved, walking towards his car.

"Totally." Alex nodded. "See ya bro." he said, walking me to the passenger side. He pulled the door up and helped me in, waiting for Parker and Lucas to leave. "My god."

"What?" I laughed, buckling my seat belt.

"He's weird."

"Huh?"

"Parker, he's a fucking fruit I swear." he laughed. "Well lets go home." he said, shutting the door and walking to his side and got in. He turned his car on and put it in drive, turning back towards home.

"I'm tired." I yawned, leaning my head against the window. "I wasn't planning on going so far away."

"Where the hell did you guys go anyway?"

"Virginia!" I sighed, rolling my eyes. "To a store I never even heard of."

"Did she get her dress?" he laughed, grabbing my hand.

"Yeah, surprisingly. I do admit, they had a bunch of cute dresses."

"You two get to go shopping for prom dresses soon." he grinned at me, making me slap his arm.

"Do I have to go?" I gave him the puppy dog face. "I told you I can't dance."

"I know babe, but you're still going."

"Why?"

"Because I said so. Everyone's going and so are you." he said, keeping his eyes on the road.

"Ugh." I groaned, closing my eyes.

I felt my tiredness take over with my head leaning against the semi-cold window and my hand wrapped up in his. I was asleep for what seemed to be ten minutes but was actually thirty when I realized we were in his driveway. He got out and got me out of the car, cradling me in his arms. I felt his bed under my body after a minute and my shoes and jeans coming off my body. He crawled into bed with me, pulling the covers over us. I snugged into his warm chest, keeping myself positioned there.

***

I woke up from having another nightmare. Still involving Alex's voice and the scary figure. It drove me insane waking up almost every night crying. Luckily I had Alex here to comfort me like majority of the nights it happens. He had both arms wrapped around me, rocking me back and forth to attempt to get me to stop crying.

"Baby, baby, baby. Please, quit crying." he pleaded, rubbing his hand up and down my back.

"Alex, I fucking hate this!" I screamed, throwing my hands down on my legs.

"What do you mean?"

"It's the same fucking thing! Every single time!" I sobbed, covering my hands with my face.

"Why haven't you said anything?" he asked, flipping on the light to look at me.

"Because, I felt like if I let it go, it'll stop."

"If it keeps occurring, you must be stressed baby." he calmly said, pushing my hair out of my face. "Is anything bothering you?"

"You have no idea." I sighed, laying my head against his chest. "I've been really crazy feeling since that night my dad said he was getting remarried to Ella and she was pregnant. Like what the hell? She's pushed him to get his life back on track and everything, but damn! I can't remember the last time I actually did something with my father."

"Have you told him how you felt?"

"No." I answered quietly. "Alex, it's not that easy for me to do so."

"Oh." he said, scratching the back of his head. "Anything else?"

I froze before I could process anything else. The first thing that popped in my mind was going first, I knew it. "D-December, when I found out that I was pregnant."

His eyes widened before he pulled me into a hug, running his hand up and down my back. "Haley, I'm sorry. I'm still upset about it too, but we have to get past it."

"I know, but it's just there in my conscience."

"We'll get past it eventually babe, it just takes time."

"How much though?" I sighed, taking in a deep breath.

"I can't tell you to be honest." he kissed my forehead. "Will you please try to sleep?"

"Will it go away?"

"Eventually, just think clear." he said, leaning back into the bed. I joined him, laying on my side and gripping on to him. He smiled, placing a small kiss on my lips.

"Can we leave the lamp on?" I asked, giggling a little.

"I suppose." he yawned. "Goodnight, love."

"Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you." I whispered, laying my head down on his chest.

"I love you too, baby." he kissed my forehead then laid back and closed his eyes. I was back asleep in a matter of minutes, thinking happy thoughts.

***

I woke up early, rolled up in the comforter and stuck on top of Alex. I didn't want to stir too much and wake him. But who am I kidding? I can't even move. I pushed myself up a little to get a glimpse of his sleeping face. "Alex." I whispered, placing a hand on his jaw. "Aleeeex."

He grumbled, pushing me off of him. "No." he groaned, rolling onto his side.

"Alex wake up."

"No." he complained again, throwing a pillow over his head. I grabbed a grip on the pillow and yanked it from his hold, beating him angrily with the pillow. "Okay, okay, I'm up!"

"It's too late now." I crossed my arms, pretending to be mad.

"Baby, I'm sorry!" he sat up, wrapping his arms around me. "I love you, please don't be mad."

"I'm not mad." I smiled, kissing his lips and jumping out of bed.

"Oh, you're good."

"I know. Get up and get dressed. I wanna go to my house."

"It's early though." he sighed, getting out of bed. He pulled his jeans and shoes on, looking through his closet for a clean shirt. I pulled on the jeans and shirt I was wearing last night, then pulling on my shoes. We finished dressing and hustled down the stairs, running through the door and down the street to my house. We walked in, taking a seat on the sofa and turning on the television set. "I'm so exhausted." he pouted, laying his head on my shoulder.

"I actually feel okay."

"That's good. How was your dreaming after you had the first one?"

"It was way better. I was with you the whole entire time and I felt safe." I shrugged, leaning my head into his.

"Think about that every night, okay?" he laughed, reaching up to kiss my cheek. The front door opened and shut, making my eyes zoom from the TV to my dad and Ella. She walked upstairs and my dad took a seat in the recliner. I hid my hand with the engagement ring on it under Alex's hand.

"Morning guys." he said, taking a sip of his coffee mug he had.

"Good morning, dad." I said back, examining his tired eyes and pale skin.

"Did Bella come home last night?"

"I don't think so. Why?"

"I don't know." he shrugged. "Did you talk to Alex about Vegas?" he asked, looking at us.

"Shit, no." I sighed, looking up at my confused fiance. "We're going to Vegas during spring break and I want you to come."

"I'm not sure if I can babe." he said, suddenly saddening my mood.

"Oh."

"That's too bad." my dad said from the chair. "I'm gonna go upstairs and get some sleep."

"Okay dad." I said, watching him get up and leave. "Why can't you?"

"Because we got asked to open for Fall Out Boy, but we're only opening a couple shows. We're just a filler until the real openers get there. They'll be finishing up their tour and jumping on into this one. Then we're back in Baltimore after a couple shows. No big deal."

"No big deal?" I sighed. "This could give you a chance to talk to my dad."

"I know. Unless we play these two shows and jump on a plane afterwards to Vegas. It'll be way quicker." he smiled, putting some logic into the situation. I liked his idea.

"That would be good. Then you can drive back with us."

"Yeah! That'll be perfect. Then you can't say I wasn't in Vegas with you." he laughed, kissing my neck.

"When exactly is the twins' birthday party thing?" I asked, changing the subject.

"It's that Saturday night at the end of spring break."

"We'll be back then to go." I smiled up at him, grabbing his hand.

"So that's settled then, after I do this two-day tour, I'll make my way to Vegas." he grinned, making my heart race.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, this is a shitty chapter but it'll be better next time. I may be laggy with my updates because school is starting Thursday and my mom seems to think she's going to whip me into shape and start making me go to bed at 11 every night.. And I'm going to be a sophomore in high school.. -_____- Well anyway, enough of my rant.
Comment & Subscribe