A Lot of Potential

I Promise

"Dad?" I called throughout the large house.

"I'm in here." he said, sitting in a rocking chair in the living room. "What do you need baby doll?"

"I need to talk to you." I sighed, sitting in the chair across from him. I finally decided to tell him about Alex after a week and a half. I just hope this goes well.

"About? You're not pregnant are you?!" he smiled and raised his eyebrows. "Just kidding."

I inhaled deeply and pursed my lips. "No Dad, pregnancy is not the case."

"I know, I trust you not to be stupid with some boy. Now spit it out." I gulped at his first sentence. I was with some boy, but I wasn't messing around with him. Yet. Did those two statements even equal each other?

"Worry about that, Dad." Bella said, walking into the room.

"Shut up and go away, Bella." I hissed.

"Whoa, calm down. What? Haley are you trying to tell me you have a boyfriend?"

"Yes," I say, sighing in relief. "I'm saying I have a boyfriend now, yes."

"And he's not even worth dating." she sarcastically laughed.

"Bella shut the fuck up! You don't even know him on a personal level! Why do you have to judge him all the damn time?!" I snapped, shaking my head angrily.

"Hal, watch your language. Bella go away and let me talk to your sister alone, okay?"

"Just tell her she can't date him and do us all a favor." she said, getting up and walking out of the room.

"Wow, okay." I snorted. "Anyways Dad, I have a boyfriend. He's not bad as she says."

"What's his name?" he calmly asked.

"Alex."

"Alex? What's his last name?"

"Alexander Gaskarth." I answered quickly.

"Oh, well. Okay then." he shrugged. "I wanna meet the kid."

"Seriously?" I dropped my jaw in shock.

"Seriously. I'll bring over Ella, you bring over Alex, and Cat will probably show up with your sister as always, and we can have a nice dinner together." he nodded. I pursed my lips and thought about it for a moment. I would be meeting my dad's new girlfriend, he would be meeting my new boyfriend.. Sounded great. But adding Cat and Bella to the equation made it worse.

"Okay Dad." I nodded. "When?"

"Tomorrow night." he laughed. "Oh, and I need to ask you another question."

"Shoot."

"Where's Jenna been lately? I haven't seen her over in a month or so."

I bit my lip before answering. "Jenna and I are no longer friends."

"Why?" he asked, making my sigh.

"Because Dad, she's a slut and doesn't care about my feelings. She's selfish."

"What makes her like that then?"

"She is! Wouldn't you be upset if your best friend slept with someone you liked dearly and had feelings for? And them totally not give a damn about it?" I bit my lip, trying to hold back tears.

"I suppose so." he frowned, knowing he hurt my feelings. "Go call Alex and set everything up for tomorrow. Anything certain you want to eat?"

"Mmm." I said, considering food options. "Make that legit pasta." I giggled.

"Pasta it is! Now go call him." he said, gesturing his hands toward the stairs. I got up and quietly walked up the stairs. I heard Cat and Bella in her room with the door shut, so that was good news for me. I wouldn't be bothered.

I sat on my bed and grabbed my phone, pressing in Alex's number. I took a deep breath before hitting the send button. The phone rang and rang before I was greeted by his too-familiar cute laugh.

"What's up babe?" he asked. I could still hear a smile in his voice. I heard Jack's loud obnoxious voice in the background, shouting my name. "Jack shut the fuck up for a second."

"Are you over at Jack's?" I giggled.

"Yup, you should totally come over." he mischievously said. I began considering hanging out with them and just asking Alex the question in person.

"Hmm, I dunno. What's in it for me?" I laughed, picturing his grinning face in my mind.

"You get to be with the best boyfriend in the whole wide world, and you get to make fun of Jack."

"Well, okay. I gotta ask you something so I guess i'll do it when I get there."

"Okay, hurry. I'll wait at the door for you." he said quietly.

"Aw you're such a gentleman!" Jack said mockingly.

"Jack, fuck you. This is why you can't get a girlfriend."

"Bitch please! All the bitches want my dick!"

"What dick?" Alex said, and started to laugh.

"Oh my God. Bye." I laughed. "I'll be there in a minute."

"Bye baby." he said, hanging up.

I scampered over to my closet, pulling on a pair of grey sweats over my shorts. I pulled on my Ugg boots and threw my hair up into a messy bun. I pulled down the sleeves of my long-sleeved shirt and walked out the door. I ran down the stairs to the living room where my dad still sat, watching television.

"Dad?"

"Hmm?" he hummed, looking up from the TV.

"I'm gonna go hang out with my friend and Alex. I'm gonna also talk to him about the dinner tomorrow."

"Don't stay out too late."

"Okay Dad. Bye." I said, turning on my heel. I opened the front door and stepped out, letting the cold October air blow into my face. I walked down the driveway and ran across the street to Jack's house. I knocked on the door quickly and threw my arms around my chest, attempting to protect myself from the cold. Before I knew it, Alex's warm face was greeting me and letting me inside.

"Where the hell is your shirt?" I laughed, giving him a funny look.

"Don't ask." he smiled, kissing my forehead. He pulled me into his arms and gave me a big bear hug. His warmth radiated out and into my cold skin.

"You're warm." I giggled, latching my arms around his waist.

"Well, men do carry more heat in their muscles."

"What muscles?" I shook my head, slapping his bare stomach.

"These ones." he laughed and flexed his arms.

"Oh yeah," I snorted. "nice guns."

"Thanks," he smirked. "but on serious note, why didn't you bring your jacket?"

"Because I didn't know it was that damn cold outside." I shivered, looking up into his brown orbs.

"Well fuck. Here," he said, pulling a red hoodie off of the coat rack. "take my jacket." he wrapped it over my shoulders and placed a light kiss on my lips.

"Ugh you guys make me sick." Jack sighed, walking out of the kitchen.

"Fuck you man. We'll just go." he spat, grabbing his shirt off the floor. He pulled it back over his muscular body and escorted me out the door.

"Alex," I whined. "it's cold. Where are we going to go?"

"The neighborhood park. I'll keep you warm baby." he said, connecting our hands. We walked down the street a little ways to where a old park was located. He led me to a bench and sat down. He pulled me onto his lap where I curled up into his warm chest.

"God damn you for being so warm." I said, kissing his jaw.

"I can't help it, and I'm glad it comes to your liking." he winked. "So what did you need to ask me?"

"Oh yeah! Shit, I almost forgot." I sighed, looking up at him. "I finally told my dad about us dating."

"How'd that go? Does he want to kill me now?"

"No, no. He wants to meet you."

"Why didn't we go no-"

"Alex, baby, will you let me finish?" I said, cutting him off. He nodded, waiting for me to continue. "He wants you to come over for dinner tomorrow night. He says he'll bring his new girlfriend to meet us too."

"Okay, so I need to be present for all this?" he smiled.

"Yes. You have to sit at a dinner table with me, my father, his girlfriend, Bella, and Cat. Sounds fun huh?"

"Totally." he narrowed his eyes. "Dammit, this is going to be so awkward."

"Everything will be fine."

"Sitting with your father, and your sister who hates me. Then the girl that wants me to pop- fuck, never mind that." he smiled and shook his head.

I slapped his jaw playfully. "God you're such a perv!"

"I can't help it!" he said in defense. "It's not my fault I got trapped in the shower during that awkward conversation."

"I know. God!" I laughed.

"Would you?"

"Would I what?"

"Would you let me?" he grinned, nuzzling his face into my neck.

"Ugh!" I shook my head and laughed. "Maybe if you play your cards right and you're not a perverted asshole like you're being right now!"

"Damn baby," he whispered and kissed me. "Your fierceness turns me on." he laughed and kissed me again.

"Alex, quit." I smile, burying my cold face into his shirt.

"I'm just kidding baby."

"I know." I said, looking at the street lights that lit up the block.

"I should probably get you home before you get frostbit or fucking hypothermia."

"I don't want to." I shivered.

"Too bad. You'll see me tomorrow." he smiled into a kiss on my forehead.

"But you're warm, I don't want you to leave." I said, tightening my grip around his neck.

"Don't choke me! If you're up tomorrow night, i'll sneak into your room for a cuddling session."

"I'm okay with that." I smiled, kissing him.

"Alright, now lets get you home." he said, standing up and pulling me up along with him. He held me close to his side as he walked me back to my front door, kissing me on the lips.

"Here take your jacket back." I said, trying to take it off.

"No, keep it."

"I don't want you to go!" I whined, running my head forcefully into his chest.

"Ow! Baby I don't wanna go either but it's getting late. I still haven't done my homework."

"Ugh. Night Alex." I say, pushing the door open.

"Night baby, i'll see you in the morn-" he said, but I cut him off by slamming the door shut in his face. I immediately began to feel bad.

I stomped up to my room and pulled my phone out. I dialed his number and waited for him to answer. I fretted that I upset him, and I needed to apologize. Relief came when he answered.

"Yeah babe?" he said, not a single sign of anger in his tone.

"Alex, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to slam the door in your face and-"

"It's alright." he cut me off. "I promise you tomorrow night. I gotta go, I'm driving." he laughed.

"Okay," I sighed in relief. "bye Alex."

"Bye."

I hung up and pulled my boots off. I still wore his over sized red hoodie and wasn't planning on taking it off soon. I laid in my bed, taking in his sweet scent left behind in the hoodie. I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

********

I sat in the kitchen, watching my father prepare dinner. I've been fretting it all day long, but luckily on the bright side, it was Friday. I awaited my dad's girlfriend, Ella, to arrive. The doorbell rang loudly with excitement.

"Haley, could you get that please?" my father asked, draining the water from the noodles.

"Yes." I say, pacing myself to the door. I opened it to see a woman with blonde curls and blue eyes. She wore a black dress and red pumps. Nothing comparable to my black cardigan dress and tights with a pair of matching flats. I admit, my dad did a good job.

"Hello," she politely said. "are you Haley or Bella?" she asked, wrapping me up into a hug.

"I'm Haley." I smiled at her.

"Wow, Rob was right when he said you were gorgeous!" she pulled away, eyeing me up and down.

"Thank you." I smiled. "My father is in the kitchen. May I take your coat?"

"Sure." she said, handing me her large black coat. I placed it on the coat hooks and led her to the kitchen where my dad was. "Hello honey!" she said, giving him a small peck on the cheek.

"Ella, I see you met Haley." he smiled and nodded towards my direction.

"Yes, she's very lovely! You did a good job. Where's Bella?"

"She's upstairs. Haley, would you go get them please?"

"Yes sir." I said, pushing myself up the stairway. I knocked lightly on her bedroom door.

"What?" her aggravated voice called out.

"Ella is downstairs and she'd like to meet you."

"Eh, i'll be down in a minute."

"Okay." I quickly said and turned around. I made me way down the first flight of stairs that led to the front door. I looked out the window to see Alex slowly walking up. I yanked the door open and attacked him with a giant hug.

"Well someone's happy to see me." he laughed. I pulled back, examining his clothing. Making sure every detail was fine. He wore a black and white baseball shirt with black skinny jeans with a black coat with fur on the hood, and his usual black converses. His hair fell perfectly on his face like usual and he smelled strong of axe body spray. I ran my hand down his chest, straightening out his shirt. "It's okay, mommy already did this." he said, grinning stupidly.

"You're a nerd." I say, sticking my tongue out at him. "Ready to go in?"

"I've been ready, baby." he said, running his hands through my hair. He bent down and kissed me before grabbing my hand. I led him inside the house and took his coat from him, placing it delicately with the rest on the coat rack. Still hand in hand, we walked into the kitchen. Bella and Cat sat in bar chairs at the counter as my father and Ella stood together in a hug-like manor.

"Dad, this is Alex." I piped up so he could hear me. He pulled away from Ella and threw his hand out to Alex.

"Alexander, nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Maddox." he said, charmingly smiling and shaking his hand.

"So you're my daughter's first boyfriend?" my father asked, making me blush. I never told Alex he was my first boyfriend. Not to mention the first boy that's ever kissed me.

"First? You didn't tell me this Haley." he said, smiling down widely at me. "And yes sir, I am."

"Shut up Alex," I giggled.

"Well Alexander, did you bring your appetite? I made pasta." my dad asked, ignoring my comment.

"Yes sir, I sure did." he laughed slightly.

"Good. Let the girls get their plates first, then we will get ours."

"I'll get Haley's." he casually said. "Go sit down babe, I got it."

I studied my father's face before going to take a seat at the dining room table. He nodded with satisfaction as Alex waited for the other three girls to grab their plates. He made mine first and slowly brought it over to me, setting it delicately in front of me. He glared at Bella and kissed my forehead, before turning back to the kitchen area to make his. He allowed my father to go first, being a total gentleman. My dad made his plate and sat down next to Ella and gave me a light smile. Alex soon joined in, setting in between my father and I.

We sat in silence for a while, the only sounds was the sound of silverware raking bites off of the plate. Alex kept his posture the whole time.

"So Alex, have you always been in Baltimore?" my dad asked, trying to make conversation.

"No, actually. I was born in Essex, England, and I moved here with my parents and brother when I was six."

"Oh, what's it like over there?"

"It's pretty. Really pretty, beautiful scenery. Just amazing." he shrugged.

"So I've heard. What do you do? Do you have a job or any type of passion?"

"I'm in a band."

"Really? What's your position?"

"I'm the lead singer and lead guitar and we're called All Time Low." he grinned.

"Oh you're a singer? You should hear your dear Haley sing."

"No, no." I said, shaking my head. "Maybe some other time, but not now."

"I didn't know you could sing Hails." Alex said, finishing his last bite.

"Eh, I'm not that great." I shrugged, picking up our plates. I shot my dad a glance as I walked away and put our dishes away.

"So Ella, I love your shoes." I say, sitting back down. Alex smirked at me, making me smile back. I hit him in the ribs playfully.

"Ow." he laughed.

"That didn't hurt. That was a love tap you little baby." I joked, grabbing his hand.

"Thank you Haley." Ella said, knocking me out of my gaze from Alex's perfect face. "I really love your dress. It looks fantastic on you!"

"Thank you." I smiled.

"I agree," Alex spoke. "it makes you look beautiful." he commented, making me blush. I saw my dad laughing across the table. I knew he had taken a liking to Alex.

"Oh please. Excuse me why I go get sick." Bella hissed, standing up and walking out of the room. Cat stood up in silence and went after her.

A sigh of frustration escaped my lips. I stared at the table cloth, trying to keep my composure and not cry in front of my dad, Alex, and Ella.

"I don't get what the hell her problem is." my dad shook his head angrily. "She's been acting different for the past couple months. She won't tell me anything and I can't figure it out."

"Excuse me." I said, standing up gracefully and filed out of the dining area. I ran up the stairs and shut the door of my bedroom. I sat on my bed and let the tears escape my eyes. I heard a slight knock at the door, but before I could answer he let himself in.

He wrapped his arms around me and held me while I cried into his shirt. He rocked me back and forth and shushed me, trying his absolute best to console me. I was thankful I had Alex in the end of all things.

"Baby, it's alright." he said, rubbing his hands up and down my back.

"No it's not! She does it on purpose." I sobbed, leaning my head into his neck.

"Haley?" my dad called from the door. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied. "Why?"

"You have a visitor here."

"Who?"

"Go find out." he said, walking away.

"Come with me please." I begged. He nodded and stood up, wiping away the remaining tears from my cheeks.

"Here, put this on." he said, handing me his red hoodie that was tossed in the chair by my mirror. He helped me into his jacket and walked me to the front door where he pulled on his coat. We walked outside to see a unfamiliar silver car parked in our driveway.

"What the he-" I choked when I saw Jenna jump from the driver's side in tears.

"Haley!" she screamed, pulling me into a hug. I tried flinching away but became unsuccessful due to her grip.

"Jenna? What are you doing here? Why are you crying?" I asked, patting her shoulder with my left hand.

"I don't know what else to do."

"About what?"

"Haley, I'm pregnant with Lucas' baby." she shook.

"What?" I said, raising my eyebrows. Alex tightened his grip around my waist and pulled me closer to him.

"I'm pregnant, God dammit!" she cried hysterically. "I don't know what to do. You're the only person I can tell without getting a lecture."

I sighed angrily, having the right nerve to tell her to get the fuck over herself and to go home. "Tell him. Just tell him the truth and everything will be fine."

"I can't."

"Do I need to do it for you? I'd be more than fucking happy to have Alex drive me over there to tell him myself." I snapped, making her cry more. "Just fucking tell him Jenna!"

"Fine. Will you come with me?"

"No, you got yourself into this mess, you're on your own."

"Haley please, I'm sor-"

"Sorry doesn't cut it anymore Jenna. I think I've made it pretty clear that I don't want anything to do with you anymore." I cut her off, shaking my head angrily. "Alex, baby, are you ready to go inside?" I said, making my voice calmly as I could and looking up at him. He nodded in response and walked me to the front door.

I watched as she got in her car and pulled out and left. I hugged Alex tightly and stood on my tippy toes to kiss him. "Go say goodbye to my dad, get in your car and leave. I'll tell them I'm going up to sleep and they'll leave me alone. Then you can come back." I grinned.

"Okay, I will do." he smirked and planted a deep, passionate kiss on my lips. "Come on."

I grabbed his hand and led him back into the kitchen where my dad was. Him and Ella casually stood around, waiting for someone to come down and talk.

"Dad, Alex is going to leave." I assured him.

"Well, it was nice meeting you Alex. I hope to see more of you around." he smiled widely at my boyfriend.

"Most likely sir," Alex laughed. "thank you for the lovely dinner. It was amazing."

"Thanks. Well have a safe drive home son."

"Will do, thank you again." he nodded at my dad, as we turned and walked back to the front door.

"Remember what I said." I whispered. "Night babe." I said, raising my tone.

"Night baby!" he retorted, kissing me on the lips. "Muah!"

"You're a retard."

"I know. Bye." he laughed, walking out the door. I walked back into the kitchen where they still stood.

"He's cute." Ella winked at me.

"OMG I know!" my dad mocked, laughing.

"OMG shut up!" I said, joining them in their laughs.

"Haley, I approve of him." he nodded. "I really think he's a keeper. I like the way he treats you. I don't get what your sister has against him, but I see no evil."

"Really Dad?" I grinned, pulling him into a hug.

"Yes baby doll."

"Thank you so much."

"No problem. I like the kid. He has potential."

I giggled and fake yawned. "I'm gonna go upstairs and get some sleep."

"Alright, night baby girl."

"It was really nice meeting you, Haley." she laughed, and pulled me into a motherly hug.

"You too. Thank you for coming over and putting up with us." I giggled with her. "Well, goodnight!"

I ran up the stairs to see Alex already chilling outside the window. I left it locked on accident, but didn't bother to unlock it for him. I pulled the curtains shut and pulled off my dress. I pulled on my pajama pants and tank top, ripping open the curtains and unlocking the window. He climbed inside my room and made his way to his normal spot on my bed. I turned the light off and made sure the window and door was locked.

I curled up next to his warm body and kissed his lips and jaw over and over. I could feel him grinning in the kisses.

"Someone really wants me tonight." he laughed quietly.

"I just want your warmth."

"Is that all you want me for?"

"Maybe." I giggled. "You're a great kisser too."

"Oh am I now?"

"Yes. Then you have a amazing personality. And you always smell good."

"Back to the amazing kisser thing." he said, shoving his lips to mine. I kissed him back automatically, rubbing my hands up and down his chest. I pulled away and leaned my head against his side.

"Quit charming me." I shook my head.

"I don't wanna. I wanna kiss you again, and again, and again." he poked my nose and smiled.

"My lips are waiting." I giggled, and before I knew it he was on top of me, kissing me with a lot of passion. I wrapped my legs around his waist and kept our distance close. In a blink of a eye, I was straddling him.

"Haley this is getting too exciting." he whispered in my ear. I kept going though, kissing his jaw, sucking on his neck, and making him slightly moan. "Haley stop."

I quickly stopped what I was doing and got off of him. I was just rejected. Tears quickly poured out of my eyes as I stood there in the dark. I felt his arm around me, pulling me back to bed.

"Haley, look. I know you were getting into it and all, but I think it's for the best we take it slow. I know you're not ready, and I want your or our first time to be special. I don't think you want your dad and sister hearing ridiculous moaning coming from your room."

"This was special." I sighed.

"But the time we do jump to the point will be more special. I promise." he said, rubbing his hand in circular motions on my back.

"Really?"

"Really. I promise you it'll be so much better. Now lay down and get some sleep." I nodded my head in response and closed my eyes. I curled up next to him and listened to his quiet snores, finally drifting off myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
http://xnothingtolosex.tumblr.com/post/7037709136
^^ That's Alex and his outfit for the dinner part of the story. It's legit. Hahah.
Sorry it's been about a day. I've been busy. I've worked a hard 10 hours on this, so I hope you do please enjoy it.
Comment, Subscribe, Ideas?