Status: Just random things, the story has yet to be written

Stuff of a Nameless Story

Prologue

0.- Prologue
Hollow. If only one word had to be used to describe the dark train station with rain being poured all over its floor, that one would do the fit in perfectly. People wandered around it, waiting for the transport to stop so they could reach their desired destination. As the water drops touched the floor, the sound of the approaching train was heard. It suddenly stopped, making a sharp sound as its wheels were rubbed on the surface of the rails. Then, the doors were opened, and from there came no more than a dozen people, all hooded, except for one. That person was a dark-haired teenager, with brown eyes and some acne. He was wearing what looked like a school uniform, with gray trousers and a white shirt with a red icon right next to his left armpit.

As he walked towards the exit of the station, the sound of a quick 'damn it' stopped him. He looked to where the sound had came from and saw a girl whose books and pencils were scattered all over the floor. As the girl started picking them up, the boy approached her, trying to help, but she stopped him without even looking up, muttering in Spanish 'No gracias, no necesito ayuda… déjame.'

The guy smiled. 'Maybe not 'ayuda', but I'm guessing you do need 'help'.''

The girl looked up to him, and the guy was then able to examine her features. She was red-haired, and had green eyes. Her face was elongated, reminding that of a horse. She seemed surprised. ''How do you know.. my accent isn't that…''

''No, it wasn't your accent'' the guy cut her. ''It was the fact that I heard you cursing in English right when you dropped the books.

Her face denoted embarrassment. ''Sorry, I… I don't usually curse. It's just… my life has…’’

''You shouldn't talk about that to me.'' He responded.

''Yeah, sorry… I barely know you, and…’’

''No, I didn't mean for you not to trust me.'' He clarified. ''You see, you're not the only going through hard stuff right now. I am too. And I guess two people with depressions shouldn't talk about them to each other.’’

The girl put her backpack on her back again, looking at him with strangement. ''How did you know I am going through a depression?’’

The guy smiled. At that moment, she could notice that his dark brown eyes, though full of life now, had pain in them. But that pain… didn't seem to be taking over his look. It was more as if… it was a part of it, like a nose was a part of someone's face. ''If told you I knew that from seeing 'the darkness in your eyes', I'd be lying.'' He started. ''But no, I've guessed it from the fact that you actually threw your backpack into the floor, which is what I used to do with pens not too long ago. Also, you started talking to me once I started speaking English. I'm guessing you do not like Spain so much…’’

''I…'' She gulped, ''I hate it.’’

''That makes two of us.'' The guy said.

Right after that, a quick silence was made, only to be broken by the guy once again. ''What's your name?’’

''Erin.'' She responded. ''Yours?’’

''Oh, so you're American?'' He smiled once again. Too many times for a depressed guy, she thought. ''My name is David. Not with the American pronunciation, of course, since, unlike you, I'm Spanish. You know, pronounced Duh-Bid.’’

''You're a weird guy.'' The girl said.

''Weird is a synonym for special.'' He responded. ''But that's not the point.’’

The girl sighed. ''This conversation has no point anyways.’’

''Oh yes, it does.'' David said. ''I think I'm going through the same problem than you do, even though I have a different way to approach it…’’

''I thought we weren't supposed to talk about our problems to each other, since that would aggravate the situation.'' She answered.

''Such a sharp girl.'' David complimented her. ''But, I can do something better than ask you about your problems, since I think I know them. I know probably most of your dreams have been crushed, and you don't know what you can do anymore since you know that there's a much better life whenever you used to live beforehand, and trust me, I know how that feels like.'' He paused, but Erin was muted, so David decided to continue. ''So, instead of asking you who you are… I have a much better question to make you. Who did you use to be?’’

Erin's green eyes glittered with tears. Her voice now came much softer as she spoke, ''I… well, used to be a cheerleader. I used to choose my own classes, used to have friends that didn't… drink or smoke, and… ugh. Even gymnastics here are… competitive. I feel like…'' Her voice became so soft it was inaudible, and David put a hand on her mouth to shut her.

''You know…'' he said in a very melancholic voice. ''I'm catholic. I used to wonder why, and then the answer became obvious to me: 'Because you know God exists, duh!'' He paused. ''But now I have much of a stronger reason. It keeps me alive. It gives a meaning to my life. And, from what you've told me, you have the same problem as I do. You need to know your life also has a meaning. After all, if it didn't, what's the use of keep on living your life if you know this one sucks compared to the one you could have if you hadn't moved here to Spain? If someone tries to make me believe there is no such thing as God, then they're doing the same thing as if they were trying to stab me with a knife.’’

Erin wiped out some tears on her face. ''I… don't get it…’’

David smiled. ''I guess I should tell you my story so you will. But mine will be way more detailed… do you think you have the time for it?’’

As David asked that question, the girl did something completely unexpected. She smiled. ''It's Friday. And I don't wanna go home. I have all the time in the world.''

''Well then, let me start. You see…