Status: Abonează-te şi în comentariu va rog! ( comment and subscribe please!)

Frumos Dezordine (Beautiful Disarray)

Disarray

“Give me a second!” I called as a knock came on my door. I pulled my hair up and grabbed my cup of coffee that was sitting on the edge of my counter. It was only 8:15.

“Why are you so early?” I asked, opening the door. Demani froze. “How’d you know it was me? Doesn’t Demetri’s mom usually bring you breakfast?” I sighed, going back into my living room so that I could find my purse.

“No, normally I make my own or go without. I was going to make a breakfast burrito, but I can go without if you need to go.” He shook his head.

“No, I didn’t realize it was really that early. Go ahead and eat. In fact, could you make me one, as well?” I shrugged, going to the kitchen. He fell gracefully into my kitchen chair. I rolled my eyes, going to get a skillet.

“What?”

“You. Always the one for showing off you’re a model, right?” I glanced back to see him grinning, but it didn’t reach his eyes. “ Of course. And by the way, I like what you’re wearing today.” I glanced down at the black slacks and the black wife beater I had on.

“ I’m not done getting dressed, actually.”

“ you should leave it like it is. Really.” He said when I began to scowl. I shook my head, turning back to the counter. “ No. Because one, it doesn’t leave much to the imagination, which probably why you like it. And two, because it rides up too damn easily. Like this.” I said as I pulled it down. All I’d done was reach for the eggs in the fridge.

“ And that’s another reason I like it.” He said, a husky tone to his voice. I shot him a look. “ Down boy. Paws off.” He laughed unexpectedly. “ Why is it you deny me? Any other girl wouldn’t have.’’

“There is a reason I’m not every other girl.” He sighed, but let it go.

For now, anyway.

“These are delicious!” he exclaimed, surprise written across his face. I grinned. “ Was it the peppers that made you think it wouldn’t be?”

“ no, it was when you smeared cream cheese onto the taco shell. But this is damn good.” I grinned wider. “ Thanks.” We ate in silence at my kitchen table for a few minutes.

“So where did you learn to cook?”

“My house, actually. My mom was never one for cooking, and my dad was always ordering fast food. I decided I didn’t like that, so I started cooking.”

“Very diplomatic.” I gave him a weird look. “What?” He waved a hand in the air. “ Nothing, an inside joke between me and Demetri. Don’t worry about it.” I decided to let it go as I finished my burrito.

“ I’m going to finish getting dressed if you wouldn’t mind staying in here.” I said. He shrugged. “ Go ahead.” I turned and went down the hallway, slipping into my room. I let out a long breath, tired. I hadn’t slept well last night. I have insomnia. I never sleep well. 5 hours is the maximum sleep I’ve gotten in a day for the past 9 years, probably more. I went to my bed, which had a knitted shirt that stopped mid thigh and had short sleeves and a belt on it. I pulled the shirt on, and then tightened the belt. I hadn’t had time to run to the store lately, and usually went sparing with my food, but Demani had showed up too early, and I’d just automatically offered. I pulled my hair down because it was still wet and ran a brush through it so the tangled mess fell around my face a moment before it was swept up into a very literal sense of a messy bun.

“ I liked it better down.” I glanced up in the mirror to see Demani leaning against my doorframe.

“ I didn’t.”

“So?” I rolled my eyes. “ That means I win. Get over it. Are you ready?” he studied me a moment. I knew that the blue of the sweater made my eyes seem to have a strange hue to them, whatever color they where. That was why I wore it, actually. To unnerve him. So far it hadn’t worked, because he met my eyes directly, making my eyes widen. His darkened slightly.

“ I’m going to warn you now.” He said softly, that husky tone suddenly back in his voice. I gave him a questioning look. “ I can be very… antisocial at work. If I get frustrated, more than likely it will be aimed at you, because you will be at hand at all times. But that does not mean I am angry with you, just means I need to vent. So if I get snappy or start yelling, or if I tell you something and I sound pissed, please realize that it isn’t your fault.” By the end of his speech he was talking normal again. I nodded, smiling. “ of course. I don’t blame you. I’ve watched my brother beat the crap out of his desk because he was angry. Why should someone else in the business do any different at times?” he grinned, but again it didn’t reach his eyes. “ thank you for understanding. And here’s a question. Why do your eyes have to be that seductive blue again?” I laughed, almost saying ‘just like yours?’ but not daring to. “ It’s really and truly not my choice. It just depends on what mood I’m in. if I’m happy, or amused, they’re blue. If I’m surrounded by friends, or family, or just people that I love, or I’m thinking of them, then they’re green. And like Demetri said last night, brown means and I quote ‘She’s slightly annoyed, but not enough to be mad.’” He frowned. “ you do that quoting stuff a lot don’t you.”

“Yup. So are we ready to go?” he gave me a long look that made me want to squirm. “ Sure.” He finally said, going to leave.

“ So, as you can see, the assistant before you kind of left it a mess. “ he said as I sat behind the desk. I gave him a funny look. “ Are you kidding? I should have this stuff figured out in no time. The calendar is in order, except for what you wrote in yourself, and-“

“How do you know it was me?”

“ The handwriting. Its very, arrogantly male.” I said, smirking up at him. He glared, but let it go. “ Fine. I’ll give you a list of people you need to contact, weather to set an appointment or to verify that they still want one. Got it?” I shrugged. “ Fine.” His hand brushed the base of my neck suddenly, making me look up, surprised, to find his face inches from mine. He slid his thumb along my jaw, and I pulled back. He chuckled softly. “ You’re so soft, dragă.” He said, his breath hitting my cheek. I frowned. “What-“

“ I’m from Romania. dragă, means sweetheart.” I frowned farther, and he chuckled again. “ So naïve, Disarray. Get your work done, then come find me, please.” He stood and walked away. I shook my head, but began working on getting the paperwork done so I could clean off my desk.