Why don't we run away?

Un

“Get back here!” He yelled. His booming voice filled the hallway, and I shuddered behind the closed door to our bedroom. I felt the door frame rattle under my thin frame. I swiftly locked the door, and moved silently to the closet which virtually held no protection. I huddled in a tiny spot, which was dimly lit, and prayed for the best. I heard the cracking of wood, and his thunderous foot steps filled the room. It was eerily quiet, and I just wanted this all to be over already.

I whimpered quietly, trying not to make my presence be known. “Oh, Ashna...Where’s my pretty bride?” He said mockingly. I heard the malice behind those words, and I cringed in fear. He always got like this when I did not do something right. Either the rice was a bit undercooked, or there was a crease in his pants. I apparently could not do anything right. I heard his foot steps creep along the floor boards.

The closet doors creaked open, and I saw a flooding of light poor in. I pulled my feet in farther, just hoping I had not been spotted. His meaty paws scoured through the clothing, disheveling it in every direction. I could feel my lungs stop working, as I sucked in one final breath. I could sense he was getting closer and closer to me, as he continued to rummage the closet we shared. He was so close, I could feel the heat radiating off his body.

I felt the jerk of the clothes that hid me, and I closed my eyes in fear. My arm was grabbed roughly, as I was jerked forward to stand. I opened both eyes wide. A smirk of evil rested on his face, and I just sensed the punishment coming. His grip on me tightened as he dragged me into the bedroom. “This is that last time you will do this to me, you ungrateful twit.” He spat in my face. I remained silence, defying him would just make everything so much worse.

“I give you this great home,” He motioned to the mansion we currently resided in, “and you can’t even be a good house wife?” He let go my arm, which fell limply next to my frame. I turned my head sideways, afraid to meet his gaze. I felt his fingers grasp my chin, and yank my face to look at him. “You look at me while I speak to you.” He let go giving me a spiteful glare, before I felt the sting of a slap against my cheek. The tears were welling up in my eyes, but I willed myself not to cry.

It would show weakness.

I felt another slap, this time it was harder than the other. My body scooted backward, and he took the opportunity to shove me down against the tile floors. I gasped out of pain, and let my fingers grip at the floors. He looked down at me menacingly, and I felt the contact of his foot against my side. I cried out, letting my body take the torture. It was no different then what happened everyday. He delivered another blow, and I could feel the searing pain spreading through my body.

I let myself sprawl out over the floor, giving into defeat. I was too weak to do any sort of damage to him. “You better do things right next time!” He snarled. I could feel his body still coming into contact with mine. Each hit was getting harder and harder. I let my arms wrap securely around my head trying to protect what was there. The first hit against my head was harder then any of the other ones, and I yelped out in agony. I let my eyes flutter close, “Sayed, stop please...” I whimpered out. He just chuckled. I heard his foot steps coming closer to my body.

“You ungrateful piece of shit.” He muttered before, I heard him walk away. The sound of ragged breathing was the only thing telling me I was alive to see another day. Today had been fairly good compared to others. I waited till the front door shut before I sat up slowly. I groaned inwardly at the pain that blossomed when I sat up. I lifted my dress, to inspect any damage that had been done. The skin all over my stomach was discolored, and I just hoped the bruises wouldn’t hurt so bad later.

I ran my fingers through my raven hair, and gripped the bed frame to steady myself standing up. The low rumble of the car engine erupted, and I sighed knowing that he was leaving somewhere. I picked myself up, and shuffled forward. I made it far enough to the vanity, and rested my body on it. It hurt to walk, and I knew this was going to be a problem later. I gazed outside the window. The sun was high in the sky, and I knew it must’ve been about noon.

My mother was coming for tea later, and she always questioned the bruises but never believed my answers. I shut the cracked door to our room, and well as I could and made my way downstairs to clean up the mess from this morning. The broken plate laid untouched scattered all over the floor. The remnants of the food that was on it, just smeared on the floor. I grabbed the broom, and swept carefully trying to make as little movement in my mid-section. The piece of glass skittered along the floor.

I heard a knock on the door, and panicked quickly about my mother seeing this grandeur of a mess. I picked up and dumped the remains outside the back door. Another knock emanated through the house, and I hurried up. I worried about keeping my mother out so long, I knew she would tell Sayed about it later. “Coming!” I yelled, my shrill voice projecting through the empty house. I opened the door ajar, but not to see my mother. I cocked my head to the side, a smile forming on my once saddened face.

Seeing him always made my day a little brighter.