Uncharted

I Could Almost See the Rest of My Life

Finally, seventh year is here. And I’m stuck at the Slytherin table. It’s my table, but I’m tired of seeing kids get sorted. We all get it. You’re nervous. Shut up and just let the hat do what it needs to. Honest to God, no one except for the second years, and maybe some third years are staring at you. The rest of us just want to eat and then catch up with our friends before we’re herded into our rooms. My best friend, Sage, is in Ravenclaw. She’s my neighbor back home, but she was out traveling the Mediterranean and parts of Africa with her family for most of the summer, so I didn’t really get to see her much. I guess I can’t be too antsy about it; I’m sitting with my House friends, so I’m not miserable, I just really want to see Sage.

“Hey,” Lilly whispered to me.

I turned my head slightly to the left to look at her. “Yeah?”

She grinned, “That little blonde boy is staring at you again.”

I sighed and rolled my eyes, “That’s fantastic. Have I ever talked to him? Ever?”

Lilly shrugged. “You kicked him out of the silver, velvet armchair a couple of times last year.”

I softly groaned and rubbed my forehead with my right hand, resting my elbow on the top of the table.

Lilly chuckled.

I slowly fluttered my eyes open to show a not amused state. “How am I supposed to get rid of this kid?”

Lilly whispered so softly that I almost didn’t hear her. “The Weasley twins are testing their very first listener. Wanna try it out?”

I shrugged, “What is it?”

She leaned back a few inches and took something out of her skirt pocket. She carefully opened her hand into a slight cup; a semi-transparent ear was in her hand. I flinched and showed my disgust on my face. I wrinkled my nose and asked her, “What in the world is that?”

“It looks gross, but we hold this end,” She grabbed what looked like a large, round noodle end, “and toss this end,” she shook the ear part, “over there so we can listen in.”

“Sure,” I nodded then tagged on, “But you have to touch that thing.”

She nodded and held the basically invisible noodle end up near our shoulders while using her wand to levitate the ear end under the table and between the blonde boy and a few Quidditch players.

Flint was laughing while the blonde one said, “C’mon, the tryouts aren’t for another month. And only captain has a guaranteed spot.”

Flint smirked back and forth to his buddies. “Why do you want to be on so badly, Malfoy?”

The blonde boy, “Malfoy,” nodded in my direction. “She’s on the team, isn’t she? I need to get to know her before she leaves this pathetic institution forever.”

Flint bursted with laughter; Lilly and I flinched from the pain while his roar of amusement calmed down into a chuckle and then a statement. “How old are you, eleven?”

The blonde one smirked angrily, “Twelve, as a mater of fact.” He then spat out, “Soon to be thirteen.”

Flint laughed again, “And you think you have a chance with Amena? She’s in her—”

“Yeah, yeah, seventeen.” The blonde rolled his yes and added, “I don’t care. I’m going to try anyway.”

Flint sighed and then grinned, “Alright, go for her, I don’t care. But you’re not going to be on the team—”

He squeaked out in desperation again, “You haven’t even seen me play yet!”

“Our brooms are slow enough already, you’d only slow us down.”

“I’ll buy you a brand new broom!” He squeaked with desperation, “The whole team!”

Flint suddenly took him seriously, “Everyone? Brand new brooms?”

The blonde boy nodded frantically, “The uh…Nimbus’s…”

Flint rolled his eyes, “You want to be on the team, but you don’t even know the name of the new brooms?”

He glared at Flint.

“They’re Nimbus 2001’s. Get everyone a new Nimbus 2001 and you can be on the team.”

I waved the noodle end away from me and looked at Lilly. She coiled it back up and shoved it in her pocket. I shook my head and then sighed, “This is how Flint picks players? No wonder the other three teams hate playing us.”

Lilly nodded, “He’s slowly sucked the fun out of Quidditch for me.”

I nodded in agreement, “Yeah, but I still love flying.”

Lilly agreed with me.

I shrugged and looked back at the new kids being sorted after saying, “A new broom would be nice anyway. It’s hard to be Seeker if you’re flying slowly.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?