Skipping Heartbeats

I Let it Fall, My Heart

Abigail had come to the conclusion. It truly made sense; she had a crush on the transfer student. Maybe it was because it was a small town and a new face was exciting. Or maybe it was because he had that accent. She didn’t really know what did it but she did know that she had a crush on Anthony Beamont.

She watched him at lunch talk animatedly with Johnnie and the twins, about what she wasn’t sure. He seemed excited about something and occasionally she would see Johnnie and Morgan wink at her.

Raising an eyebrow at them, she focused her attention back on Anthony who was staring at her now. Feeling her face flush, she excused herself from the lunch table. She heard Anthony holler about seeing her later and her face flushed yet again.

Shaking her head, she walked towards the locker room. She had almost reached the locker room when Jessica with her two shadows Courtney and Sasha stepped out of it. They were laughing and instantly stopped when Abigail stared at them.

Courtney and Sasha shrugged and started walking off telling Jessica they’d be in the cafeteria. Neither looked away for a few moments, until Jessica looked to the ground, and then to the right. “Abby,” Abigail cut her off.

“You have no right to call me that,” she snapped.

“Look I’m sorry Abby, I didn’t mean for that to happen,” she stuttered.

Abigail’s face flushed again, but with anger this time. “You didn’t mean for it to happen? What happened to us?” Abigail lost color in her face before looking at the ground with sad eyes, “Why did you do it?” she whispered.

Jessica shuffled her feet, “I don’t know.”

Abigail’s head snapped up, her face confused with sadness and anger, “You don’t know?” she stepped forward and pointed a finger in Jessica’s face. “Well, when you figure out why you did it, why don’t you come tell me and maybe, just maybe, I could forgive you.”

She stepped around Jessica and opened the locker room door. Turing around to Jessica who still hadn’t moved she snapped, “And if it takes too long, I won’t.”

Image

When Abigail exited her math class with Anthony, she hadn’t expected to witness what she did. He said to stand by the locker for a few seconds while he talked to someone before they met up with Johnnie and the others. Normally, she would have been fine with that, if she hadn’t heard the conversation he had with Jessica.

He asked Jessica to the Homecoming dance.

Abigail felt her face flush with sadness and become red. Making eye contact with Jessica, she hoped she’d say no. for a moment, she thought she would. Then reality crashed down on her. Jessica’s friends agreed for her and like a puppet, Jessica did too.

Catching her breath, she caught Jessica’s saddened look before Abigail slipped away. Of course, Abigail thought bitterly, she’d agree to anything with those two friends of hers. Brushing tears out of her line of sight, Abigail practically ran to her car, forgetting that she was meeting her friends for a study session after school in the library.

Climbing in her vehicle, she started it up and drove to her house. Pulling in her driveway, she forced herself to stop crying when she saw her father’s truck in the driveway next to her. Grabbing her school bag, she rushed inside only stopping when her father called out to her.

“Abby? Ms Reid wants to know if you can work tonight.”

Abigail walked towards the kitchen and saw him on the phone, “Sure, no problem,” she mumbled.

Her father agreed to Ms. Reid then hung up and stared at Abigail for a few seconds. “I thought you had a study group today?”

“I decided not to go.”

He shrugged, but stared at her more before she escaped to her room to change for work. She was pulling on her jacket when her phone started ringing. Looking at the caller-ID, she pushed ignore and grabbed her shoes.

“Take Chuckles for a walk dad!”

Image

“She isn’t answering,” Johnnie whined.

The group stared at Anthony for a few seconds. “Why did she run off?” Morgan pressed.

He shrugged, “I don’t recall. I told her to wait while I talked to Jessica,” the group tensed when they heard her name. “And after I asked her to the dance, she was gone.”

No one spoke for a few minutes, making Anthony fidget, “What?”

“You asked Jessica to the dance?” Alexander mumbled in a disgusted tone.

Anthony sat up a little straighter, “Yeah, so?”

Morgan leaned forward over the table, “Did you think maybe that’s why Abby ran off?”

He stared at Morgan as if she was crazy, “Why would she care?”

Nicholas started mumbling curses and reasons that Anthony couldn’t keep up with before Alexander quieted his brother. “She probably went home,” Johnnie stated while grabbing his coat off his chair.

“Where are you going?” Morgan asked.

“To find Abby.”

The group started standing up and Johnnie waved his hands, “No need for all of us to go. You guys study, I know where to find her.”

They stared at him sadly before settling in their chairs and waving to him as he left. Johnnie hollered about having Morgan take Anthony to his house after they finished. As he approached his car, he noticed a presence standing awkwardly by it.

“Jessica,” he breathed.

“Johnnie, look,” she stopped when he raised his hands.

“I don’t want to hear it, Jess.”

“Johnnie!’ she shouted as he climbed into his car. “I didn’t want to but they agreed for me!”

“And what about the other thing? Did you mean to hurt Abigail like you did? Did you mean to betray her like that? Did you mean to put her on the spot and leave her to defend herself while you laughed like they did?”

Her face became saddened and she recoiled into herself.

“That’s what I thought,” and he drove off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Set Fire To the Rain
I will be gone until Sunday :(