Skipping Heartbeats

The Playful Conversation Starts.

The flight to Seattle, Washington was long. He took an overnight flight; it’d be easier he bargained. Anthony was going there to finish high school before he would return to Australia to become one of his parent’s successors. His mother was successful hotel owner of Hotel of Love. You could imagine what goes on there.

His father was a farmer, or was. He moved from the states to Australia after he met his mother. He didn’t work in the fields anymore but he still owned Jensen’s Orchards which sold its produce to major companies everywhere.

Neither really sounded appealing, but this was an experience to learn how to deal with things he didn’t know. The airport was crowded and he could smell the small scent of his body odor sinking in. Hopefully, a shower was in the near future.

Walking down the ramp, he was greeted by a huge sign with his name, Anthony Beamont, scrawled across it in sloppy handwriting. He glanced at the small girl holding it, she had to be around six or seven. Her brown hair was pinned up in ponytails that reached past her shoulders and almost to the floor. She had a flower temporay tattoo on her right cheek that cracked as she smiled brightly when he stepped in front of her.

“Are you Antoni?” she asked stuttering over her words.

Grinning at her he nodded, “I am.”

She stared at him before tugging on the lady behind hers dress. The woman leaned down as the child whispered into her ear. Whatever the child said sprung deep laughter from the woman as she patted the girl on the head, “Hello Anthony, I’m Mary. This is my husband Jim and our daughter Susie. Welcome to Seattle!” she sang.

After hands were shook, and a piggy back was arranged, the four made their way to the car. Anthony helped buckle Susie into her seat as she talked about all of her things at home. She mentioned a dog and horse but he was sure they were stuffed animals.

“Is this the first time you have come to America?” Jim asked him as he pulled his buckle over his shoulder.

Grinning he nodded, “Yes, my mother said it would be a good experience.”

They all agreed and the driving began. Easing into conversation, he felt completely comfortable with this family.

Image

“Come on Johnnie! You can’t be serious!” Abigail shouted as he doused her with the water from the hose.

“You shouldn’t say things like that then!” he snapped.

She had accidently let it slip in front of their friend Morgan that he had a little crush. It ended with her leaving with a bright red adorning her cheeks and a date promised for Saturday. “At least you can move forward now!” she argued.

“I wanted to tell her myself,” he sputtered.

“When? When you are fifty? Besides she totally is crushing on you too! She wouldn’t have said yes otherwise,” she stated before being drenched in more water.

Screaming in laughter, she ran around the house and grabbed the other hose. “I would have told her soon,” he paused. “She likes me?”

A stream of water hit him full in the face, making him fall over and gasp for air through the freezing water. “Abby! Stop!” he shouted aware of the kicking of rocks and dirt from the driveway.

She laughed, pushing her blonde hair back out of her face. Waving at the car, she saw Susie open the door as soon as the car came to a rest and she bounded towards her. “Abby! Guess what? He’s here! Come meet Antoni!” she shouted pulled on Abigail’s wet arms. “You come to, Johnnie!”

Abigail helped Johnnie up and walked towards the vehicle where a very tall man got out. He had dark brown hair that was cut short and spiked softly on top. She watched he glance around the yard, where dogs were in the huge field herding sheep with some of the helpers on horses. When he turned towards her she felt her smile disappear.

He stared at her the same, neither talking while Susie and Johnnie argued about whose room to show him first and who he would like better. Time returned to Anthony first, luckily, since Susie was pulling on his arm. “Antoni! This is Abby! She and Johnnie are best of friends.”

He put his hand out, “Hello,” he said smoothly through his heavy accent. “I’m Anthony Beamont.”

Abigail smiled brightly and took his hand, “I’m Abigail Lawrence.”

They shook hands for a few more seconds then turned to Johnnie who gave Abigail a look that said we’ll talk later. after Johnnie was introduced, they made their way to the house where his luggage had already been delivered by mail. It had cost less to mail it then bring it on the plane with him.

Abigail smiled up at Anthony, “Hope you like it here in little America!”

Shaking his head at her childishness, he replied, “I do as well. My future depends on it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enchanted