Skipping Heartbeats

And When the Going Gets Rough.

Abigail hadn’t planned on showing up at work the next day. It had been her day off until some stupid cheerleader, Rachel, decided that she had a contagious cold. Maybe she would have believed that she was actually sick if she hadn’t seen her smacking on her boyfriend by the side of the road.

Anger soared through her as she parked her old Chevy truck and shut off the engine. Stomping inside the employee’s only sign, she walked straight to her manager. “I work six days a week every week and I cannot accept this!” she loudly declared.

“What is it now, Abby?” he boss grumbled.

“Rachel isn’t sick! She is parked on Jefferson street smacking on Tony!”

“How do I know you’re not lying? I can’t believe one employee over another,” he mumbled.

“Why don’t you call her mother and find out?”

And he did that. Now, Abigail wasn’t a tattletale but having to give up her one day a week she had freedom really angered her. And maybe it was also that Rachel just irritated her to no end.

Abigail had just gotten on her apron when her boss came hobbling back in from the phone, “Well, we need another employee. Who wants to get the flyers ready?”

Groaning, the entire staff glared at Abigail. “What, you all hated her too. She wasn’t even a good worker.”

They all nodded and Tiny Tim, who was actually really tall, offered to hang them up. “Hey Tim, do you mind if I have one of those?”

Tim gave one to Abigail who stuffed it into her apron before heading out into the dining area. Starting at tables one through five, she handed out menu’s and flirted cautiously earning a few more dollars in tips than she deserved. Abigail loved this job.

Bringing coffee back to the table with the Johnson’s, who were the cutest old couple, she was hugged from behind. Pouring the coffee into their cups, she smiled. “Johnnie, what do I owe this pleasure?”

The old couple laughed and told Johnnie to behave while they went back to their breakfast and coffee. Walking back to the front, she slapped Johnnie’s arm, “I’m working, control yourself.”

“Oh come one, Bobby doesn’t care if I torment you. Plus I brought Anthony with me. He hasn’t experienced some delicious food,” he said claiming a booth.

Turning towards the front doors, Abigail saw him staring at the abundance of flyers for lost pets to hiring ads. “Anthony! Come and choose your food,” Johnnie hollered while shaking a menu in the air.

Abigail shook her head, but grabbed her notepad. “I presume you want your usual?” she asked Johnnie, while watching Anthony trudge his way to the table.

“Of course,” Johnnie beamed. “Is Morgan working?”

Sighing loudly, she turned to Anthony, “Do you know what you want?”

Shaking his head, he looked over the menu, “Maybe a pancake? I’m not very hungry.”

His voice gave her slight chills, but she shrugged them off. “You had to clean out the stalls didn’t you?”

He nodded.

Laughing, she took the order back to the cooks. Glancing at the clock, she pulled off her apron and hung it up. Pulling the flyer from the pocket, she clocked out and headed back to the tables. “You off?” Johnnie asked.

“Yeah, I was here at four! Can you believe that? Stupid Rachel didn’t show and then I had to cover! She deserved to get fired.”

“Fired? Ha, wow. You must’ve gone off on Bobby to make him fire her,” Johnnie nudged her arm.

“I did. I was sick of picking up her slack. Do either of you want a job?” Both of them shook their heads.

Becky handed over their dishes a second later, while giving Abigail water. “Thanks Becks.”

Becky smiled and headed back to the other tables, helping the customers. “Well, kids, I have to head out. I promised dad that I would take Chuckles on a walk before noon.”

“Like that dog would survive a walk with you. Poor dog,” Johnnie pretended to cry.

“Shut up, just because I’m not a lazy bum like you doesn’t mean I kill dogs,” Abigail protested.

“Nope, just abuse them.”

“I’ll have you know he enjoys gasping for air,” Abigail claimed while leaving the restaurant laughing.

“She abuses dogs?” Anthony questioned.
♠ ♠ ♠
On the Brightside