Skipping Heartbeats

Don't Let Me Go Alone.

Monday was hectic. Going into their senior year, the group knew this was the year to make everything count. The twins joined as many electives as they could. They wanted to become art majors. Morgan set up her speech class so she could start preparing for becoming a teacher. Johnnie settled for math and basics while Abigail chose to take more AP classes in hopes of college money saved.

“We have no classes together,” Abigail complained to Morgan.

“We have lunch together,” she volunteered.

“There is only one lunch!” Abigail laughed.

“We have every class together!” the twins chimed happily.

“Not a surprise,” Johnnie muttered while looking over his schedule. “What’s yours look like, Anthony?”

The group peered over his shoulder and read. “We have math together,” Abigail stated.

“You have Elective Art with us,” Nicholas claimed.

“Biology 101, dude yes!” Johnnie cheered high-fiving Anthony.

“We have basic speech together,” Morgan mumbled shyly.

“Only four classes?” he questioned them.

“Yeah, our school believes that fewer classes achieve more. They are longer so that we have more terms,” Morgan explained quietly.

“How long are classes?”

“About two hours,” Abigail groaned.

“Well, at least I have something with each of you,” Anthony replied cheekily.

The group laughed. Over their heads, the bell rang, telling them to head to class. “Well, do you want me to show you where our class is?” Morgan asked meekly.

Anthony nodded and followed her out of the cafeteria. “See ya!” Abigail laughed walking out the door to her AP Literature class. The twins followed in pursue of their music class and Johnnie strolled to his basic math class that he would probably sleep through.

Image

After they struggled through their first classes, the twins met up with Anthony and took him to the art room with them. As he entered the room, a shriek followed by laughs pierced his ears. Introductions over with, he learned that the girl who ruined his hearing momentarily was named Jessica Beckles. He also learned she was the Queen Bee around this school.

He only knew that because she verbally threatened the other new student who happened to be a girl. Sighing, he exited the room when the bell rang and was swept away by Johnnie to their Biology class.

With a syllabus in their hands, they were free to do whatever with their time until class ended. “So, any girls catch your eye?” Johnnie pried.

Thinking about his answer he spoke seriously, “Well, I met Jessica Beckles this morning. She is quite a looker.”

Johnnie’s mouth mimicked a fish for a few moments before he sputtered out, “What about Abby though!”

Anthony laughed, “I was kidding.” He paused. “What about Abigail?”

“I thought you and her had a thing goin’ on!”

Anthony pressed his lips together and turned away abruptly. He thought that as well.

Image

He could feel Abigail stirring on him and he opened his eyes meeting hers. She stared at him for a few moments before jumping off of him and tripping over Nicholas and Alexander, who grunted and cursed at her. Johnnie rolled over and stared at Abigail who was having a mini-heart attack.

Excusing herself from the room, the guys looked over to where Anthony was laying. Hurt flashed across his face before he pushed his face into the couch and groaned. And so the awkward morning began.


Image

Anthony was late. Abigail hadn’t shown up like the others had to show him the way to their math class together. She also hadn’t shown up at lunch with the rest of her friends. He opened the door to the class and stepped in hitting everyone’s stares. Glancing around the room, he noticed Abigail wasn’t there.

He took a seat in the front, where the only open desks were. That girl Jessica was in the back chatting away with some other girl who he couldn’t remember. The teacher took control of the class and called out roll marking a few students absent and muttering about them starting out horribly.

After assigning the class homework on the first day, he practically ordered the class to start it then. A hush blessed the room in seconds and Anthony pulled out some paper and a pencil. Right before he was going to start, the classroom door opened harshly and Abigail entered.

She was flustered and from what he could see, angry. She handed the teacher a note and took the seat next to Anthony. Jessica cackled in the back when she saw Abigail. At least until Abigail turned around and nearly sent her to a premature death with her glare.

“What happened?” Anthony whispered.

Turning her head to him, her gaze softened, “Nothing you need to worry about.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Second Go