Beneath the Northern Lights

Beneath the Northern Lights

The show ended and Lauri took in the cheers and applause. It felt amazing to be at home performing a new song. The band members left one by one off the stage. Lauri was left still waving and looking over his audience. Aki came around the corner and needed a drink horrible but paused when he saw Ali. He smiled and ran up and hugged her.



“Lauri might stop breathing when he sees you.” Aki looked into her eyes. 



“Maybe you should go warn him.” Ali suggested before hugging Pauli and Eero and congratulating them on an amazing concert. Aki ran back through the stage and waited till Lauri finally walked off. 



“Lauri, there is someone here who needs to see you.” Aki said seriously before guiding his friend behind stage. Lauri was confused and walked quickly. It was probably press of some sort. He walked and saw Pauli and Eero huddling around. Then he saw a well dressed dark haired man. Lauri stared at him. Finally the tall man nodded and smiled as confirming that he was who Lauri thought he was. Lauri pushed through Pauli and Eero and smiled seeing his friend. Ali launched into his arms and held on tightly as he spun her around. He set her down and took her shoulders. As they reunited, Adam slipped away to go find Sauli again.



“Ali!!!! I thought you were busy?! Did you hear all of that?” Ali smiled and nodded. 



“I heard everything, Lauri. No one has ever done anything like that for me. Not Zacky or anyone. Thank you.” Ali hugged him tightly. “I was busy. I couldn’t come be with you at your concert because Adam and Sauli had already invited me to it.” Lauri blushed at her words and then rubbed the back of his neck.



“Did you like the song?”



“I loved it. It had me in tears. I don’t know why you wrote ‘only for tonight’ though.” Ali stated looking up at him. Lauri smiled and took her hand and walked her back to the dressing room. He smiled and sat down on the couch to talk to her.



“Because eventually, you will get on that plane and I won’t be able to love you like I do now.” Lauri looked at her and hoped she understood. She looked down and nodded showing she understood. He brought her chin up. “You look very pretty tonight. I’m glad you came. It means as much to me that you came, as the song does to you. I thought I had really fucked up.”



“Thank you. Adam and Sauli painted me up.” She paused and looked into his green eyes and smiled. “No, you haven’t fucked up anything. I was worried as to why you didn't invite me yourself, but it doesn’t matter anymore.” Ali smiled and moved closer to him and hugged him one more time. He was sweaty and his hair was all out of place, but it didn’t matter to her. This is what she needed. It is what they both needed. She waited for him as he got cleaned up. When he was finally presentable, he and Ali left the venue. Ali stood back as he signed some autographs before they continued on to his car. Ali had already texted Adam and Sauli told them she was with Lauri for the rest of the night. Once in the car Ali looked over at Lauri. “I haven’t packed anything for tomorrow. I should be heading back, plus, I’m sure you are worn out. You need your rest.” Lauri thought about it and looked over at her. He didn’t want to part with her quite yet.



“I will get my rest, but right now, stranger, take me home....” Lauri stated and laughed softly as he buckled up. Lauri drove back to Ali’s hotel and got out of the car and handed his keys over to the Valet only after pulling a duffel bag from his car. Lauri walked her up to her room and entered it. He watched as Ali kicked her heels off and sighed in happiness. She looked around and then back at Lauri.



“This is the second time that Nicole hasn’t been here when I get back.” Ali looked down and then at her bed. “Is that a little weird?”



“This is also the second time in a row that I’ve come over to your room very late at night with you....is that a little weird??” Lauri laughed and then opened his bag. “Since she’s not here may I take a shower? I feel disgusting.” He laughed. 



“You might smell like a girl...unless you brought soap.” Ali laughed reaching for her make up remover. 



“I came prepared. I always have a bag packed just in case I have an after party or a certain skater’s sister’s room that I might travel to.” Lauri smiled disappearing into the bathroom. Ali changed quickly and got ready for bed. She then decided to go see her brother before she called it a night. She walked across the hall and didn’t bother with knocking. She walked in to see Ryan and Nicole making out on his bed. She froze and covered her eyes.



“When Bam gets back...or something... I ummm.. Wow, this is awkward. I will just text him...” Ali turned and shut the door and then blinked a few times trying to understand what she had just witnessed. She went back to her room and grabbed her phone texting her brother: ‘ Night Bam. I had an awesome night. I wish I knew where you were. Lauri wrote a song about our friendship and sang it at his concert tonight. I know I told you I was going with Sauli and Adam, and i was with them but we went to the concert. I wish you would have been there. I might not see you till Monday when Lauri and I get back. Until then I love you.’ Ali read the message again before hitting send. She then put her phone down and plugged it in before getting under the covers. Lauri came out about 20 minutes later. his hair was damp and he was wearing jeans and a black tank top. At the sound of the door opening, Ali opened her eyes and smiled. He turned off all the lights and then smiled as he sat on the edge of the bed and then leaned back against the headboard his legs stretched out next to Ali. His one hand stroked the top of her head. She cuddled into his side and smiled lightly as she relaxed. 


“Are you going to spend the night?” She asked closing her eyes. He bit his lip and wasn’t sure how to respond. 



“I don’t think so. I don’t think it would be appropriate.” he replied and then looked down at her. The soft glow of the city lights lighting up the side of her face. He wanted to so badly, but the last thing he needed was to help her cheat. He would never forgive himself if they broke up because of him. Ali looked up at him and the gripped his shirt.



“Please, Lauri. I...want you to stay. I don’t want to be alone. More importantly, I don’t want to be without you.” Ali looked up at him and then smiled as she settled down laying her head in his lap. He looked down and brushed over her head and rubbed her shoulder gently. Lauri wasn’t sure what to do. His heart broke as she confessed that she wanted to be with him. He wanted nothing more than for her to want him.



“I will stay until you fall asleep. Then I promise to be here first thing when you wake up. He slid down the head board more to get comfortable. His shoulder and head still propped up by the headboard. Ali shifted and moved her head farther up on his chest. She felt so calm and relaxed. 



“I will take it.” she laughed. “Good night, Lauri. See you tomorrow morning. Thank you for making me smile” She drifted off to sleep not even 10 minutes afterward. The problem was that Lauri did too. It was 9am before Lauri realized what had happened. They were in the same position as the night before. She was under the covers with her head resting on his chest. He was above the overs with his hand around her shoulders. He smiled and stroke her cheek gently. 



“Peura! Wake up.” He smiled and shook her gently. “We overslept!” Ali sat up and noticed it was morning. She looked at Lauri and laughed. Ali jumped up and then smiled as she hurried to get pack. She remembered to pack warmly. She got dressed herself not really caring if Lauri was watching or not. Soon in under 15 minutes she was ready to go. She looked over at Lauri who was busy confirming reservations. Once she was ready, Lauri motioned for her to follow him. He picked up her bag and his own and threw them over his shoulder as he continued speaking in his native tongue to the hotel receptionist. He paid for his valet parking, loaded the back of his car with their duffel bags and the two headed off to Lauri’s house. Once he was off the phone, Ali looked over at him.



“So are we good to go tonight? When will you tell me what is going to be happening?” Lauri bit his lip in excitement and fixed his hair as he drove. 



“Everything is perfect, I’m going to take you to my place so I can get packed and then we will be on our way. I will tell you what is so special about this place, tonight. I promise.” Lauri smirked. Ali eyed him curiously but didn’t say anything more. ‘Ah, here we are!” Lauri pulled into a nice sized home. It was far to big for one person. Ali hated imagining him being alone in their. She got out and looked at Lauri.

“You live here? Does anyone live with you?”



“Nikita did...but you know how that ended.” Lauri shrugged. He walked up to the door and unlocked it. Inside the three story home was a glorious sight. It wasn’t posh, but it was simple and beautiful. “Make yourself at home, I will be right back, unless you want to come upstairs with me.” Lauri offered. He ran up there himself not wasting time. Ali looked around the house and slowly followed him upstairs. She was amazed by it all. There were platinum and silver records hanging from the walls. Pictures of Lauri and other celebrities lined the hall. She stopped and even found a picture of Bam, Ville, Lauri and a couple of other people from the time Bam came over to work on compiling his CD. She finally realized she had lost Lauri. She walked into a room and saw him packing quickly. 



“So this is where Lauri lives. Why did you always come over to my small hotel room when you could be sleeping in this place!?” Ali asked taking a seat on his bed. He looked at her and smiled.



“You aren’t here for starters. No one is here. Lastly, if I slept here I would have to make my own bed and I’m too lazy for that.” Lauri laughed. In a matter of moments Lauri was packed. He looked at her and then checked his watch. “So, how about we skip the breakfast date and get on the road. I’m so eager to show you this place. We can pick up a smoothie on the way. I know an excellent, quick place.” Ali nodded. The two loaded up Lauri’s car and headed out on the road. They stopped and got some morning smoothies and head North. They had a perfect opportunity to learn more about each other and chat. Ali sipped her smoothie and looked out the window. 

“So I know we are both in a good mood, but I just was curious as to if you had heard from Zacky lately. “ Ali sat guilty and shook her head.



“To be honest I haven’t tried to get a hold of him since that day I heard Gena, his ex, in the background.” Ali looked down and then shrugged. “Bam wants me to be more independent anyway. So maybe his words are sinking in. I don’t know. I actually haven’t thought about him much. I guess I have you to thank for that.” 



“Now, understand me when I say, I don’t want to lead you from Zacky. I’m just trying to get you to enjoy Finland.” He looked over at her briefly. Ali nodded.



“I never said you were to blame, Lauri. I know you would never ever try and do that. You are just trying to be a good friend and look out for me. I know you better than that. You aren’t evil and cynical like that. You are just teaching me that I can enjoy myself and not have to think about Zacky 24/7. Who knows, maybe I don’t even think enough about him anymore.” Ali smiled and looked out the window. Lauri’s hands grew cold as he thought about her comments. If she ever found out about Bam’s plan she would never speak to him again. He nodded.



“That is exactly what I’ve been trying to do.” Lauri nodded and then quickly switched to another topic to distract her. Ali slept part of the way and they both spent hours singing to the radio. Ali watched as the warm Helsinki temperatures faded away the farther north they went. It was the shortest 8 hour drive that Lauri had ever made. It was all about the company in his opinion. About 6pm they pulled in. Lauri rolled down his window and spoke Finnish to the guard who allowed them to continue. Everywhere Ali looked there was at least a foot of snow. She looked at Lauri and smiled,

“You promised me you weren’t taking me ice fishing.” Lauri laughed. 

“I don’t lie, Peura. We aren’t hear for fishing at all” He smiled and drove carefully parking outside of a small building.



“There is nothing here but snow!!” Ali exclaimed.



“Good observation. We are above the Artic Circle. Permafrost is rampant. This place never thaws out. They also aren’t the biggest English speakers up here. So bear with me.” Lauri looked at her and then smiled. “Bundled up?” Ali pulled her hood up and buttoned her jacket before getting out of the car. Lauri pulled his beanie down and grabbed their bags and helped Ali inside of the small building.



“LAURI YLONEN!?! Ja Rasmus!? Tervetuloa ja Kakslauttanen! Miten voin auttaa sinua?!” The lady behind the counter was bouncing and inviting Lauri to the desk. Ali couldn’t help but smile. She didn’t understand a word, but she knew the girl’s day, maybe even year had been made. Ali looked at Lauri and watched him laugh. He approached the counter.


“Hei! Minun täytyy rekisteröityä. Minun pitäisi olla jäätä iglu minun nimissäni?” Lauri asked to check in and said the reservations should be under his name.

“Kyllä! Onko tämä sinulle ja tyttöystäväsi?” The woman responded asking if Ali was his girlfriend. This was the moment of truth. He looked back at Ali and smiled at her and then turned to face the woman and smiled lightly.

“Umm ... kyllä! Hän on kaunis eikö olekin? Olen hyvin onnekas. Tämä on meidän ensimmäinen matka yhdessä.” He stuttered but stated that Ali was his girlfriend and announced to the woman that this was their first trip together. He knew Ali would never hear it and the word would not spread that quickly. He smiled at how nice it sounded.

“Olen samaa mieltä. Tässä on avain. Lauri, sinun kelkka valmistuu noin kolmessa minuutissa. Loman. Jos tarvitset yhtään mitään ilmoita meille.” She handed over the key and announced that they would be taken to their igloo in about three minutes. Lauri nodded and thanked her before walking over to Ali and rubbing her back.

“Dinner should be delivered in about an hour. We can unpack and then soon it will be time for me to tell you why we are here. Lauri paused and then turned back to the woman and called over his shoulder. “Yhdessä illallinen voimme olla pullon vodkaa ja viiniä tuonut meidän huoneeseen. Ehkä tuopin appelsiinimehua samoin?” The girl nodded and giggled. Lauri looked at Ali and smiled, “I like that you don’t speak Finnish. it makes the surprises even easier to plan.” Lauri laughed and then smiled as he saw a familiar sight trotting up. “look...” Lauri pulled Ali to the side as a grand reindeer pulling a sled and it’s driver came in front of the door. Ali smiled and covered her mouth. 



“We are riding in this?” Ali couldn’t believe it. She was excited but so in awe at the uniqueness of this hotel.



“Only till we get to our room. It’s the easiest way to go.” Lauri greeted the driver and loaded their bags on the back of the sled. Lauri then helped Ali into the sled. He got in afterwards and wrapped their laps with a blanket that was provided for them. “Where we are staying is across the bridge. We are going to the northern most area.” Lauri informed and wrapped an arm around her in attempt to keep her warm. He smiled and reached over to fix her scarf and pull it up around her nose. He smiled at how much like an eskimo she looked. He looked outside of the sled and watched as mounds of freshly fallen snow passed their moving sled. He squinted as the wind passed over his eyes. They passed dozens of lavish log cabins. He had stayed in them multiple times, but nothing beat what Ali was about to experience with him. Ali sat up a little as they crossed the bridge. The cabins disappeared and now through the reindeer’s antlers all Ali could see were small circular structures. They were no bigger than one room. She looked at lauri and furrowed her brow in confusion. The driver stopped in front of the one closest to the forest. Lauri slipped into his native tongue and thanked the driver. He got out and helped Ali before grabbing their bags. Ali passed Lauri and walked to the glass structure. It was a small igloo. She looked inside and only two beds and a very small bathroom were located in the igloo. She looked at Lauri and smiled. 

“What is this?” She asked quietly. He laughed and unlocked the door. Inside it was as warm as a summer day. It had down pillows and blankets on both of the double beds. The top was completely made of glass showing the snowy, cloudy sky. The walls were made of a hearty wood up until about 6 feet then it turned to glass. Ali looked at Lauri as she began to pull her scarf and coat off. Lauri smiled and set their bags down before sitting on the edge of one of the beds. 

“Kakslauttanen. Home of the glass igloos.” He put his arms out as to display them.



“I feel like a mouse in cage ready to be experimented on. Is this at all private?”



“Only a yeti is big enough to see into these igloos. Plus, it is below freezing out there, Ali. No one is going to be stalking in conditions like this.” Lauri smirked and then picked up his schedule. “They will bring us dinner in about 30 minutes. Then we will have an hour before the fun begins.” Ali whipped her head around to look at Lauri.



“Fun? In an hour it will be night time..... You didn’t bring me here to....” Lauri shook his head, 



“Peura, you will understand in time. We needed an escape. Nikita got the best of me the other night and I know you are struggling. We just needed to get away for a bit and enjoy ourselves. Only the necessities are here. It seems very primitive, I know, but hopefully, it will be one of your favorite places when you think back on Finland and your time here.” Lauri said sighing looking over at Ali who was still taking in the small place. She smiled and looked at him,



“I hope so too. I’m taking your word for it.” Ali smiled and then sat on the opposite bed. They chatted as they waited for dinners to be delivered. Once they were, Lauri stepped outside to collect them from the reindeer driven sled outside of their door. He smirked and set them down on a small counter before going back out and carrying in several beverages. Ali smiled and laughed as she walked over to Lauri to help him.

“Vodka? Seems like it’s going to be a very relaxing night.” She laughed and poured herself a screwdriver. Lauri went over and began to fidget with the radio finding some music to enjoy dinner too. She jumped around a bit as an American hit came on. She laughed and looked back at Lauri. “This is fun. I feel like I can do anything I wanted right now, even though I’m in a room smaller than Bam’s closet.” She laughed and sipped her drink before pulling up a chair next to Lauri and enjoying a classic Finnish meal. 



“I would give Bam 10 minutes before he went crazy in here. I don’t think this igloo would hold him, hence why I didn’t invite him.” Lauri laughed as he pulled off a piece of bread and directed it into his mouth. Ali tilted her head. 



“Why didn’t you invite the others? If this place is so cool wouldn’t they want to see it?” Lauri thought about it for a moment. He shrugged, 



“I guess I just wanted to focus on you.” He whispered. Ali finished chewing and then smiled looking down. Lauri felt like he had just confessed to his junior high crush that he liked them. He paused and then looked over at Ali and smiled. It hit him like a boulder to the head. He did like her. He wasn’t lying. Whether she would notice the truth in the statement or write it off, was beyond his control. He finished his dinner quickly as well did she. Things were more silent now, but they weren’t bad. Ali was flattered that Lauri had let that slip. She would never tell anyone, but she liked him more than she was ready to admit to herself in her own mind. Last night had proven to be more eye opening than anything else. As she finished her dinner she thought about how she felt.



“I...I want to say something before the screwdriver goes to my brain.” She whispered and looked at him, “Lauri, you mean a lot to me. Last night, when I thought you were going to leave, I....well I have never been so upset at the thought of someone leaving. I don’t know why I acted like that.” Ali looked down. Lauri smiled and shrugged before he responded. He wanted to be careful. To lead her on would be too much, it could ruin them if she ever discovered the plan, but to act like it didn’t mater to him that she didn’t want to be without him would be a very bold lie.



“Our time is limited. You will go back to West Chester...or Los Angeles and that will be it. You will move in with Zacky and won’t have time to come to Finland whenever you want. I think we both just know that we need to make every moment count.” Lauri said and looked at Ali before sipping his drink. He held the glass tight in his hands. “I suppose it’s harder to part with something when you know it’s not forever. See, with Bam and Nicole you didn’t think twice about leaving them today, because you will see them over and over again. They are very accessible. Whereas, one day I won’t be there to take you to the mall or to a sailboat contest whenever.” Ali looked up at him and thought about his words. They stung even more than she could imagine now that they were out in the open. She looked into the spiked orange juice in her hand and then sighed.

“Is it bad that I don’t miss Zacky? I don’t even care if I don’t talk to him till I get back.”



“Not even a little bit?” Ali looked up into the other’s eyes after he asked his question.



“Not at all.” Lauri paused and looked at her. The plan was working. He tried not to give away his excitement. He looked up at the glass ceiling as the sky began to darken. Lauri then turned his attention to her and her swallowed nervously.



“Do you even.....love him anymore?” Silence filled the room. Ali’s eyes were glued to her glass as she thought about it. She looked up with tears in her eyes. She shook her head and put her glass down before her trembling hands had a chance to drop it. 



“I don’t know, Lauri.” Lauri stared at her and blinked several times before looking at the door of the igloo. He took in her response and analyzed it a million different ways in his head. He had almost completely finished Bam’s plan. She was doubting Zacky. To not be certain of love, is to not be in love at all. He nodded and then reached out and touched her hand.



“That is ok...no one says you need to make a decision right here and right now. It would be better if you didn’t, actually.” Lauri repeated. “It’s going to be ok. I’m sorry if it’s my fault.” Lauri added now feeling bad for the poor girl. Her heart must have been a wreck and she had been hiding it for so long. 



“No, you’ve gotten me to think in ways about love that I hadn’t been before. The other day when you asked if Zacky is everything I want and I couldn’t respond with yes....that is when it hit me. I’ve been doubting my love ever since. I have you to thank.” Ali wiped her eyes and looked up and laughed lightly. “Bam might make a statue in your honor.” Ali laughed and so did Lauri. He had done it. He was guilt free. He didn’t lead her on, she made her own decisions. He just helped her make her own revelations. 



“Shhh, no talk about it anymore. Let’s just focus on the rest of our evening.” Lauri whispered. He set their plates outside for the delivery man to pick up in the sled again. Once everything was put away, Lauri changed into a tank top and pajama bottoms. Ali was in some shorts and a tank top. The music was still playing lightly and the night sky was almost completely settled in. Lauri turned off the lights and only a few candles lit the space around them. Ali settled into her bed and then Lauri into his. She looked over at Lauri and then turned on her side facing the other’s bed across the room.



“Are you going to tell me why we came here today?” Ali asked watching the candle light play off her new friend’s face. She knew it was to spend time with the other, but they could have done that in Helsinki. He was laying on his back when she asked the question. He smiled and just as if nature had heard her question Lauri smiled widely.



“Look up. You will have your answer.” Ali stared at him for a moment before rilling to her back. In that moment though she looked up and saw a wave of green take over the sky followed by a ripple of pink and purple. She sat up and stared deeper into the sky. The Aurora Borealis was in full effect. She smiled as her jaw dropped in amazement. She looked over at Lauri whose eyes were fully open taking in their colors and wonder. Ali bit her lip as she crawled out of bed. Lauri didn’t blink as the girl he had brought with him, slowly crawled into his own bed. He looked at her and moved over to make room for her. He smiled as they both laid there staring through the glass ceiling at nature’s light show. Ali laid on her side with her head resting on Lauri’s chest, tilted ever so slightly to look up at the sky. She was content as she felt Lauri secure his arm around her shoulder and held her close. Ali was so happy with this night. She put a hand on Lauri’s chest and rubbed it lightly before moving her head to look up at him. He shifted and looked down into her eyes.



“Thank you.” She whispered. Before he could respond her lips rested on his softly. He closed his eyes and his heart picked up pace. He reached over with his hand and held her jaw close not wanting her lips to leave yet. She continued to kiss him and shifted to deepen the kiss. Ali’s hand continued to rub his chest as their kisses deepened. They both knew this moment was wrong, but neither one of them were willing to pull away. Their tongues eventually found each other as their kiss became more passionate. Ali pulled back softly and let her forehead rest against Lauri’s. Her heart pounded and she couldn’t help but smile as she looked down at Lauri’s lips. She closed her eyes and listened as Lauri was short of breath as well. Before words could be spoken Lauri dove in for another deep kiss. This time he took control rolling her to her back and kissing her deeply. Her arms came up around either side of his neck and kissed him back with as much passion as she could. She whimpered as Lauri’s hand went to the base of her shirt and started to explore. She inhaled quickly and pulled back. She looked up at him and whispered. “Lauri, I may not know where my heart is, but I can’t go any farther...” Ali whispered. She frowned as Lauri pulled his hand back. He was all smiles though. He would never test her. He was truly caught in the moment, but the fact that she had boundaries made him respect her even more.



“I understand. You are wonderful woman...to be honest, I am growing more and more jealous of Zacky.” Lauri whispered. Ali looked up at him with wide eyes. She couldn’t believe what he had just said.


“Jealous?”



“Yes, Peura. He doesn’t know what he has. If he did, he wouldn’t be treating you like this.” Lauri whispered as he moved next to her. He smiled and carefully turned her over and smiled as he fit his body like a glover behind her drawing her back to his chest. He smiled as his lips rested at her ear. “To be able to be own the heart of a girl like you....so many guys would kill for a trust like that.” Ali smiled and rested back against him closing her eyes and wearing a smile as he left kisses on her shoulder.



“I wish you could take me away. So many times I’ve been let down. I think Zacky loves me, but then just falls through on something else. You’ve never let me down.”



“...and I never will. I love you.” Ali’s eyes shot open and her heart skipped a beat. She turned in his arms and pulled him into a deep kiss wanting to never let it break.
♠ ♠ ♠
The chapter that explain's the name. Best Chapter of any book!!

STILL STANDING- The Rasmus
I wish you here tonight with me to see the northern lights
I wish you were here tonight with me
I wish I could have you by my side tonight when the sky is burning
I wish I could have you by my side

Cause I've been down and I've been crawling
Won't back down no more

Can't you stop the lies, falling from the skies
Down on me, I'm still standing
Can't you roll the dice, I might be surprised
Conscience clear, I'm still standing here

burns like a thousand stars, though you are light years away
burns like a thousand stars or more

you're up there, you're always with me
smiling down on me

can't you stop the lies, falling from the skies
down on me, I'm still standing
can't you roll the dice, I might be surprised
conscience clear, I'm still standing here

It's something sacred, something so beautiful
something quiet to ease my mind
when the pressure's taking me over and over

cause I've been down and I've been crawling
pushed around and always falling
you're up there, you're always with me
smiling down on me

can't you stop the lies, falling from the skies
down on me, I'm still standing
can't you roll the dice, I might be surprised
conscience clear, I'm still standing here
can't you stop the lies, falling from the skies
down on me, I'm still standing here
can't you roll the dice, I might be surprised
conscience clear, I'm still standing here