Status: Incomplete...

Save Me

16

It was Landon.

"We're going to miss you sis!" Landon exclaimed into her back. The sound reverberated through her.

"Landon," Lacie whined. She heard and felt Landon chuckle. He slowly drew his arms from around her, allowing Lacie to continue on forward, to plop down in the open spot next to Jacob.

****************************

Cameron, Landon and Jayden had already gotten off by the time the bus came to a rolling stop in front of a three story house. Jacob stood up.

"Well this is our stop," he smirked at her. Lacie's eyes grew wide and innocent. She nodded, scrambling to her feet. She fell backwards a little. Jacob steadied her.

"Whoa," he chuckled, "easy does it, Lacie."

"Sorry," Lacie mumbled, walking hurriedly to the door of the bus. She knew Jacob was following her, he had too.

Her foot hit the ground with a light thud and the crinkling of the early winter grass. Had it gotten colder? She hiked up her coat collar, her breath visible. It had gotten colder.

"Did it get colder?" Jacob asked. She looked at him. He had, since he'd gotten off the bus, hiked his coat collar up, zipped his jacket, and threw on his hat.

"That's what I thought. How long were we on the bus?" she asked.

"About twenty minutes," Jacob spoke, a light mist seeping from his parted lips.

"That's not long," she spoke, her voice just above whisper.

"It's winter," shrugged Jacob.

"True," she nodded.

"Right this way," Jacob smirked, walking in front of her, leading the way. He opened the door for her. She walked inside, standing off to the side, to let Jacob in and show her the way.

"Remember this place?" Jacob asked excitedly.

"Yeah," Lacie nodded.

"Well you know the way," he let her go first. She walked up the stairs that were located in front of her. She veered off to the right then immediately off to the left.

"Your room changed," she said, looking around.

"Yeah," he chuckled, "I wasn't allowed to keep the dinosaur room. You know, have a reputation to keep up."

"I see," she nodded.

"You hungry?" Jacob asked. His eyes were innocent and inviting.

"Not really," she shrugged.

"When was the last time you ate? You didn't eat lunch," Jacob said.

"Uhm... Since... Last... Night?" she said, hesitantly.

"Last night?" he said a bit incredulously. She nodded shyly, looking at her lap.

"Why don't you eat?" he asked.

"I, uh, don't like to eat all that much," she whispered. Without a word, Jacob climbed to his feet, and left the room. Lacie was confused. Where had he gone?

Minutes later, Jacob reappeared in the doorway with a hot, meatball sandwich.

"I made you a sammich," Jacob smirked at her. Lacie didn't say anything, she was staring longingly at the sandwich, "here," he handed her the plate.

She took it, picking up the sandwich. It smelled delectable. She bit into it. The meatball burst with juice and flavor. She closed her eyes, savoring it.

"Good, huh?" Jacob smiled.

"Mhm," she said, chewing.

"You need to eat," Jacob said softly.

"I know..." her bottom lip quivered, her eyesight grew blurry. She put the sandwich back on the plate. Her shoulders started to shake.

"Lacie," Jacob said, "I didn't mean to-"

But he didn't finish his sentence. He moved off his seat to sit next to Lacie. He wrapped his arms around her. Buried his face in her hair.

"Lacie," he whispered, "I'm sorry."

Those two words sent her over the edge. She turned towards Jacob, she wrapped her arms around his waste, smooshing her face into his chest. She completely broke down.

****************************

Jacob

"Lacie," he whispered, "I'm sorry."

Lacie stiffened. A sob broke through her lips. She turned toward him, hugging him back. She completely broke down. Jacob's heart skipped a couple hundred beats.

Jacob combed his fingers through her hair, "I'm here for you," Jacob said. He rubbed her back while she let go of years of sorrow.

****************************

Hours later, Lacie just unloaded on things that happened after he had abandoned her. His heart sank. How could he have done that?

Slowly he reached for her face. At the first movement toward her, she flinched. He kept going. He laid his hand softly on her cheek, wiping away her tears.

His second hand came up to the other side of her face. He brought her in close, laying his forehead on her's.

"Lacie, look at me," Jacob breathed. Slowly, Lacie looked up at him, her eyes red, puffy and shiny, "Lacie, I know I can never take back what I did in elementary. But I am so sorry, Lacie. And I will promise- I promise, nothing will ever happen to you ever again. I'll look out for you. I'm here for you."

"T-thanks..." Lacie said looking deep into Jacob's eyes. Jacob felt his heart stutter, his smooth breathing faltered, "Jacob?"

"I-I'm fine," Jacob pulled away. He couldn't be near her for too long, he'd explode. But he had to stay. He didn't move, just put some distance between their faces.

Lacie's hand raised to his forehead, "you're not running a fever, do you feel alright?"

"Yeah, I feel fine," Jacob flashed a toothy grin at her. Whenever he smiles, her eyes grow wide and alive, like a real human girl is in there somewhere.

****************************
Lacie

"So, the family you're with now, they're treating you well?" Jacob asked. Once he started the question, his eyes took on a protective glare. With Jacob, Lacie felt safe.

"Yeah, they're great. The twins take care of me when I have nightmares," Lacie told.

"Take care of you how?" he asked.

"Well," Lacie blushed.

"'Well', what?" Jacob asked.

"Well Landon and Jayden take me to their room and let me sleep there with them..." Lacie trailed off.

"Oh," Jacob nodded, "I'm glad they help. Just a couple years ago they were each others only friends. They were closed off to the world and everyone around them."

"Wow really?" Lacie asked, "but they're so outgoing."

"I know," Jacob nodded. Lacie was actually interested. Out of all they were talking about, this is the one subject Jacob had her undivided attention. She was always so eager to learn about someone's past. To find out what they went through as a child. To see if anyone else was like her.

"Lacie?" Jacob asked.

"Hm? What is it?" Lacie asked. Her mouth was full with meatball sandwich.

"I- uh... Nevermind," Jacob stopped his sentence and looked to the floor. Lacie didn't answer. She was a little curious, but then she remembered what her curiosity got her the last time.

Lacie bit into her sandwich again. As the rest of her bite went down, she yawned.

"Are you tired?" asked Jacob softly.

"A little," she admitted. She knew what Jacob was going to do. Before he reached for her plate, she ate the rest of her food, handing over the plate willingly afterwards.

"You were hungry," he chuckled. He took the plate, "make yourself at home," he smiled at her.

After he left the room is when Lacie crawled into his bed, laying her head on her pillow. She sighed. Her eyelids were so heavy. She needed sleep.

"Lacie are you out yet?" Jacob asked. He sounded a million miles away.

"Not yet," she mumbled, sleepily.

"I'll sleep on the floor," he whispered in her ear.

"Mmm okay," she spoke.

****************************

it was her first day in her new home. The house was huge and beautiful. This family was rich. She was actually surprised they agreed to foster her. She was poor, lived in the orphanage, looked like crap.

"Lacie," the ritzy lady said. What was her name? Jessica, that's it.

"Yes?" she asked politely.

"I'll let Madelyn show the way," Jessica said.

"Alright," Lacie nodded, turning to Madelyn. She didn't seem to like her. The girl turned briskly and walked away. Quietly, Lacie followed after her.

Once upstairs and out of ear shot.

"Okay, listen," the girl glared at her. She had Lacie's full attention, "stay away from me and my family."

Lacie had no intention on getting close to anyone in this family. Lacie nodded.

"I'm serious," the girl advanced on her. She got all up in her face. Madelyn was at least a head taller than her and more toned. She was bigger than Lacie.

"And I am, too," Lacie answered. She looked this girl in the eyes, standing her ground. Madelyn glared at her, then pushed Lacie through a door. She shut it, locking it from the outside.

****************************

Hours later the lock on the door unlocked. Lacie looked up from her bed. She hasn't done anything. Hadn't even made a noise.

"Lacie," the father spoke. His name was... Charlie.

"Y-yes?" she stuttered, looking up to him. He was closing the door behind him. Her stomach twisted. She knew exactly why the decided to foster her.

This man looked older, this never crossed her mind.

"C'mere," the man demanded. He sounded intoxicated. He staggered over to her. He pushed her down. She fell back onto her bed.

He stripped her and himself, he forced himself onto her. She screamed.


"Lacie? Lacie!" Jacob was yelling. Lacie's eyes snapped open, her breathing harsh. Jacob was in her line of view. His face was concerned, "Lacie are you alright?"

"W-what time is it?" she asked silently, trying to regain her breathing.

"It's around two thirty," Jacob explained. He wiped the sweat from her face, she flinched, "What happened?"

"This man, my one foster father... Hit me and f-forced himself onto me," she whispered, tears escaping from her eyes.

"Lacie," Jacob breathed, he pulled her into his arms, rubbing her back. She sobbed herself back to sleep, in Jacob's arms.

****************************

Lacie woke up early the next morning. She found herself in Jacob's arms, the base of her neck was sweaty, but she didn't want to move. Jacob sighed contently in his sleep.

She looked at him with compassion, she cared for him. She snuggled closer into the safe warm circle of his arms. He stirred.

"Lacie, are you awake?" whispered Jacob. Lacie didn't answer, she just nodded, "are you hungry?"

Again, Lacie nodded. Jacob unwound himself from her. Under his eyes were dark circles, she did this to him. He left the room. Lacie rolled over onto her other side. She sighed. Why can't she be normal?

"Lacie, here," Jacob spoke, he handed her a plate full with breakfast goodies. She nibbled at it, not wanting to eat. She was too disgusted with herself, "Lacie?"

Lacie looked up at him, her eyes drooping some. She just needs to move a little, to wake up.

"Are you alright?" he asked. Lacie nodded, looking back to her plate, "Lacie I know something's not right."

"I know, it's just-" Lacie stopped, she didn't want those words to escape her tongue.

"What?" he asked softly. He leaned a little closer.

"I kept you up all night... Didn't I?" Lacie asked. Her voice wavered ever so slightly.

"Lacie-"

"No, I'm sorry. I knew this would happen..." Lacie spoke softly.

"Lacie, look at me," Jacob demanded softly. Lacie looked up from her plate. He continued, "you are my best friend. Whatever you do, I will love you and accept you for it. To be bluntly honest, yes, you kept me up most of the night. But I don't mind as long as you're okay."

"But, I'm not okay," Lacie shook her head, her face toward her lap. Her hands were fisted in her lap.

"What's the matter?" he asked, softly.

"I am haunted by my past, my mother's death, losing people I love, being betrayed. It's like I'm a target or something," Lacie gritted her teeth. She was angry. Not scared, afraid or terrified. She was pissed. What had she done to deserve this?

"Lacie, I can tell your pissed, my parents aren't home and we have no neighbors for miles. Scream Lacie. Get all of that anger out," Jacob spoke. Lacie did as she was told. She drew in a deep breath, drew it in until her lungs hurt, when she couldn't take anymore in.

Lacie screamed. For the first time in her life, Lacie screamed. It was high pitched, like a normal girl would scream. But her's was different. Her's was filled with anger and agony. Betrayal and loss. She was letting go of everything she had kept bottled up. Her scream dribbled out, along with all the emotions she has felt for years.

"Better?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I took so long. ^^" school.. Gotta love it -sarcasm- x3