Status: Incomplete...

Save Me

19

"Lacie, what happened?" the boy inquired urgently. His eyes glowing in the faint light in her room. She was breathing heavily, looking about her room. She gathered her wits.

"N-nothing," she said breathlessly, beginning to sit up.

"Lacie, I know something's wrong," the boy said, sitting down next to her. His weight made her fall toward him. She caught herself on his shoulder. He was warm, she nestled closer.

"You're warm," she muttered sleepily, her eyelids drooping closed. She felt a hand on her back, rubbing it, soothingly. She drifted, sleeping for the second time that night.

***

There was a buzzing noise. What was it? She grated one eye open, noticing her alarm clock. She smacked it, making that stupid noise stop. She went to crawl out of bed, but felt arms around her. Jacob?

She turned over in the boys grasp, but it wasn't Jacob. It was Jayden. He must have been the one that comforted her last night. She poked him in the cheek whispering, "Jayden."

"Hm," he moaned.

"Time to get up," she rose her voice a little. His eyes opened slowly. He smiled at her.

"Okay," he drew his arms back and Lacie left for the shower.

***

"Kids, please have some breakfast before you leave!" sang Nicole as they moved toward the door.

"No thanks Mom," the boys walked out the door, but Lacie hesitated. She walked to Nicole taking a piece of bacon off of her plate.

"Thanks, Mom," Lacie said softly. Nicole smiled at her.

"You're welcome, Lacie," she said softly, ushering her out of the door.

"What took you so long, Lacie?" Landon asked at the end of the driveway.

"I got some bacon," she informed, still chewing around her piece of bacon.

"You and your meat. You know by your size, I would think you're a vegetarian," laughed Landon.

"Ew. I don't know how anyone can do that," Lacie shook her head. The boys laughed at her. She didn't know what was so funny.

***

School consisted of boring lessons and taunts from Macy's friends. Lacie had one of the boys or Ebony with her at all times but there was nothing she or they could do about the taunts. Lacie tried to retract into her sweatshirt but to no avail. The words still hit her, like broken glass. Ebony had had enough. She turned on the most recent attacker.

“You know what, Ella?” Ebony turned on her, glaring daggers at the girl, “who the hell do you think you are?”

“I think I’m Ella Nelson,” she flipped her hair, smiling confidently at Ebony. She was fuming, “and I’m making this world better, keeping sluts in their place.”

That set Ebony off, she advanced on her, fast, Ella actually looked scared. Ebony was whispering harshly in her face, “do you have any idea what she’s been through?” Ebony’s teeth were clenched tight, the muscle in her temple flaring, “shut the hell up. Put yourself in Lacie’s shoes for once,” and with that, she spun on her heel, scooped up Lacie by the arm, and pulled her to Spanish where Jacob was waiting. He smiled at her, but his smile was quickly discarded for a worried look.

“I’ll see you next period,” Ebony’s voice was still hard from the scene in the hallway.

“See you,” Lacie said softly, watching Ebony’s retreating body.

“Lacie what’s wrong?” Jacob asked immediately after Ebony was out of earshot. Lacie stared at Jacob, tears in her eyes. If she were to tell Jacob, he’d run out right then and start something, “Lacie?”

“E-Ella,” she whispered. Jacob leaned closer, as she felt someone behind her. Jacob’s expression tightened, but he kept his eyes on Lacie, “Ella was making fun of me.”

Before Jacob could react, someone was flying out of the room. Lacie didn’t catch who it was; Jacob was moving for the door too. She latched onto his arm, stopping his movements. He turned on her, his gaze torn, his jaw locked. He was mad, his face gradually getting redder.

“Please, don’t,” she whispered, shaking her head. He didn’t attempt to pull away, but she could see he didn’t like what was happening. She pleaded him with her eyes. He gave in, moving in front of her. He placed his hands on her shoulders.

“I promised you, I’d protect you,” his gaze was piercing, nearly through her. Her breath hitched in her throat, she nodded, moving her eyes to the ground.

“I know,” she whispered just as the bell rung. Jacob squeezed her shoulders, sitting in his seat, Lacie followed suit, sitting softly in her seat. Kale walked in, passed her desk without so much as a glance at her. Lacie didn’t expect it. His month was nowhere near over. Kale stopped at her desk, on the other side, her left side. Lacie didn’t acknowledge him and Jacob was eerily silent behind her.

“Lacie,” he said softly. Lacie looked up at him, “I heard what happened with Ella. I talked to her, she said—”

"Felipe," Mrs. Kaman was waddling up the small isle between the rows of desks.

"Yes, Señora?" he turned instantly, straightening his spine.

"Get to your seat, aquí," she shooed him down the isle. Kale quickly obliged, scurrying to his seat on the other side of the room. He never did finish his sentence.

Jacob

Jacob saw Kale leave the room after Lacie told him about Ella. He witnessed Kale's return, and his pathetic attempt to smooth things over.

Mrs. Kaman came at just the right time. She cut off Kale's sentence, shooing him down the isle. Kale ran like the little pussy he was. Jacob smirked to himself.

***

Spanish class flew by, for Jacob fell asleep again. He couldn't help it, Mrs. Kaman was just so boring. Lacie woke him up.

"Jacob," she whispered, poking his arm. He started, gasping for air. Lacie jumped back.

"I'm sorry," Jacob mumbled, rubbing his eyes. He blinked a couple times, the room blurry and spinning.

"It's okay," she whispered, raising her voice, "but we have to get to Biology."

"Oh right," Jacob grated to his feet, grabbing his book bag.

Lacie led him out of the room and surprisingly the hallways were quiet. No taunts came from anywhere. Although some people stared. Jacob didn't care, he slung his arm over Lacie's shoulders and laughed.

"What's so funny?" Lacie looked up at him with beautiful sea blue eyes. He smiled down at her. She basked in it for a while before he answered.

"Oh, nothing," he sang, squeezing her shoulders. She crashed into his side. She squeaked, but didn't protest. He wished she would have wrapped her arms round his waist like his old girlfriend. But...they weren't dating. What was he thinking?

He rubbed his forehead with the heel of his free hand. What was he doing?! He took a deep breath, Lacie keeping up easily, even for her odd position. He noticed that she had a death grip on his shirt. Two handfuls of his baggy t-shirt. He smiled.

"Jake!" Nick yelled—loudly he might add— from down the hallway, "ready for the game on Friday?!"

"Yeah I am!" he answered just as loudly, clapping hands with him when they closed in. He stopped in front of them, leaning down to Lacie's level.

"And who is this?" he asked softly, lowering his voice by a wide margin. Jacob straightened her out, leaning over her shoulder. Nick smiled, straightening to his full height before Jacob said anything.

"This is Lacie," Jacob smirked, Lacie was still, too still. He felt her shivering slightly. He looked at her face. She was staring at Nick like he was a bear.

"Hey, you okay?" Nick inquired, his voice betraying the worry he was feeling. That's what Jacob liked about Nick. He was one of those guys that didn't judge, and treated every girl—tall, small, fat, skinny, scared, proud, you name it—equally and as if they could break at any moment. He truly cared.

Lacie didn't answer. Jacob whispered, "relax Lacie, it's just Nick. He's a friend, he won't hurt you. Remember my promise? I won't let anyone hurt you."

At his words he felt her relax. She shook her head, breathing softly. She looked up at Nick with her big beautiful eyes, "I'm Lacie."

Nick smiled down at her, "nice to meet you Lacie, I'm Nick," he laughed. Lacie looked up at Jacob as if she were asking what do I do now? Jacob smiled down at her. He slung his arm over her shoulders again.

"We gotta go, see you, Nick," Jacob waved as he pulled Lacie along.

"See you, Jake! Bye Lacie!" Jacob didn't answer, but he felt Lacie turn under his arm. He watched her from the corner of his eye. She waved at him. So innocent, he smirked, turning to the front once again.

***

They arrived with a few seconds to spare. Jacob felt Lacie release a breath of relief. She must really not like to be late.

"Jake! What took you so long!" yelled Landon from the other side of the room. Jacob smirked thinking quickly on what to say.

Lacie

Lacie's mind was racing. It started when Jacob slung his arm over her shoulder. What did it look like to other people? Would they start rumors about her? She knew Macy would.

When that Nick kid caught up with them, she started to tremble slightly. She didn't want to talk to this stranger. She didn't know him and he looked like he would hurt her. She didn't hear anything but this:

"Relax Lacie, it's just Nick. He's a friend, he won't hurt you. Remember my promise? I won't let anyone hurt you," Jacob's words relaxed her by a wide margin. She stopped trembling, looked up at Nick and introduced herself.

"I'm Lacie," she blinked

Nick smiled down at her, "nice to meet you Lacie, I'm Nick," he laughed. Lacie realized he had a pretty laugh. Weird to think, but she liked his laugh. She looked up at Jacob, thinking she would be able to hear his laugh too. He never did laugh.

"We gotta go, see you, Nick," Jacob waved as he pulled Lacie along. She followed easily, fixing her bag on her shoulder.

"See you, Jake! Bye Lacie!" Jacob didn't answer, but Lacie turned under his arm. She did catch Jacob's eye, as she waved at Nick. She was just being polite.

***

They arrived with a few seconds to spare. Lacie released a breath of relief. She really didn't like to be late. She was on all of her teacher's good sides, she didn't want to sink down the deep dark abyss of lateness.

"Jake! What took you so long!" yelled Landon from the other side of the room. Lacie noticed Jacob smirk, could nearly see the gears turning, coming up with a witty comeback. They strode passed Macy's desk in the front. She was shooting death glares at Lacie. She supposed it was because Jacob had it arm around her shoulders. Lacie quickly removed it, she didn't want more crap from "the posse."

"Your mom," Jacob shrugged. Lacie knew that saying was over used, but no one used it anymore, she guessed it was making a comeback. Landon sneered at him.

"You're gross man," he chuckled, crossing his arms at the same time Jayden did. They both smiled at Lacie.

"Hey there, Chika," Ebony said before the twins. She hugged Lacie around the neck. Slowly Lacie returned it, she was still getting used to "girly affection."

"Hi," Lacie said over Ebony's shoulder. Ebony pulled away and smiled tightly at her.

"How are you?" Lacie read into the underlying meaning in that. She was really asking "Did Jacob protect you from harm? Lacie answered truthfully.

"I'm good," she nodded her head, "no trouble at all."

"That's great. I'm glad."
♠ ♠ ♠
Where is this story going, you may ask? I have no idea, still making up the ending. We'll see when we get there, huh, my faithful readers?<3 Leave me some guiseee!