Feather

n e w .

Connor and I had been almost best friends since we were five. My parents had told me long before than that I couldn't have a best friend that wasn't a girl. And so I had set my heart on something else that my parents had greatly approved of. When we were sixteen, he had become my boyfriend. But there was one thing that no one knew about Connor that I did. Driving the several blocks to the little mecca of stores that posed as our mall, I passed the park where Connor had admitted to me that he was gay. In a small town like Gabaldon, Kansas, that kind of thing would be a death sentence for his football career. And so neither of us had said a thing, instead dating each other so that no one would know the truth about him.

Pulling up to second of two non-local clothing stores in town, I stopped my truck and leaned back, racking a hand through my long brown hair. It was weird to think that in just two months I would be getting ready to move to Wichita for my first semester of college. It had been where my parents had gone, where I would go, and where my children were supposed to go after me. It was all planned out. I would get a degree in nursing and get married shortly after graduating. My husband and I would live in Wichita while I worked as a nurse for a few years and once I got pregnant we would move back to Gabaldon.

All planned. All perfect.

A knock came on my window and I turned to smile at Connor. Opening up the door, I threw my arms around my almost best friend. "Heya sexy," I greeted him with a laugh.

"Do I detect a shade of color not brown on those pretty nails," he teased grabbing my hand. He looked from my nails to my face and then back down again before surveying my shirt and jeans. "C'mon Kacey. We have some shopping to do. Have to have something to match those new nails." Even as my cheeks flushed, I knew that not only did Connor have a good idea, but that I had also been hoping the same thing for almost eight years. I was finally going to wear a shirt that wasn't white.

A part of me wondered what my parents would think and then I realized...I really didn't care.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright so I know that the chapters have been really short, but I think they will be for a while. I'm just kind of letting them come as they want. But don't worry, the plot will pick up soon!