Feather

d r e s s .

I spun around in front of the mirror and actually looked at myself for the first time in a long time. The dress I was wearing didn't have even a hint of white on it. Not even the tag in the back tucked away under the color. And I had never felt better about myself in my life. The dress was pink, a color that I was familiar with. The neckline was a deep v neck framing my average B and a half-sized breasts. Yellow and green thread created flowers and burst around my waist and along the straps of the dress. The hem was done up like falling flowers that were yellow and red.

Connor came up behind me and rested his hands on my shoulder, his face next to mine. "And this is why you should take me shopping instead of your mother." Laughter rang out from both of us. I knew that he was right even as I giddily spun around once again.

"Think if I put a white-"

Cutting me off with a hand over my mouth, Connor frowned. "Don't even say it," he admonished. "You look great just like this and I refuse to let you toss something white over it. Your parents could do to see you sans white for once." The thought had me feeling a little queasy. It was great to wear, but buying this was another matter entirely.

Looking over my shoulder at Connor, I tried to force a smile. He sighed and stepped back, stuffing his hands into his pocket. "Alright, alright," he seemed to give in without really wanting to and it was all I had in me to not beg his forgiveness. "Go on, I saw another dress around here that had plenty of white that should make your parents happy."

Connor wondered off muttering darkly as I turned back to the mirror. I wanted this dress. I wanted it almost as much as I wanted that tattoo that I had found online. But even if I bought this dress, I'd never be able to wear it around my parents so what was the point? It would just have to look great on some other girl who would wear it and adore it the way that I never could.