Feather

d i n n e r .

My mother wasn't speaking to me.

She hadn't spoken a word to me since I had admitted my feelings about brown. She given me this look of shock and pain and confusion. Was she really surprised? Maybe I had been wrong this whole time. And if I was...what did that say? I couldn't take it back though. Not without apologizing. I didn't want to do that. I had told her what I believed even if I wasn't sure if I believed that now or not. None of it really seemed fair. Someone was wrong I knew, but why did it have to be me?

The room was silent as we sat around the dinner table, Connor sitting across from me and my brother Mason's girlfriend on my right. I had never really liked Katie Ashley, but like the dutiful daughter I had always thought that I was I had always worked hard to get along with her. And sometimes I could see that she even had a personality.

"So when are they starting football camp this year Mason?" Connor asked trying to break the silence. My brother mirrored my posture, slumped and poking at the crisp salad on his plate.

His answer was a shrug which got him a sharp look from our father. I could feel everyone but Katie tense. Connor caught my eye as I looked up and mouthed the word sorry. It wasn't his fault.

"I heard from Wichita State today," I spoke up trying to pull the attention away from Mason. Maybe if I mentioned the magic school, I could be forgiven and they would forget about what would be considered Mason's great blunder

The moment that my father turned his eyes on me, I knew I had made a mistake. I had bowed my head and hoped that he would let it pass. I wasn't used to my father being mad at me. He had never been mad at me before in my life. He had always loved and adored me. I was his little girl after all.

Or I had been.

"So what?" he snapped pointing his fork at me. "Have been been talking to him about this Kacey? It wasn't good enough that you had to upset your mother?" I couldn't help but flinch at that. And what made it worse was that my mother didn't say anything. She was still made at me. In her mind...I had broken her heart and I refused to fix it.

"I'm sorry that mom doesn't like brown," I said looking at my mother before turning my eyes to my brother. "If you don't want to play football, don't." My mother gasped as I turned to look at my father. "Connor is my real best friend, he always has been and he always will be." Pushing away from the table, I brushed my hair over my shoulder and finally looked at Connor. "Wanna have a sleepover at Ray's?"

The room was dead silent as the corner of Connor's mouth as he joined me in standing. "I thought you'd never ask doll."