‹ Prequel: Stranded

Rescued.

Sick of Sleeping Alone

After getting the air mattresses set up, I looked at Matt and Alex. One mattress was in the living room portion of our house, while the other was in my room. I looked back at my mattress resting in my room, my blanket spread neatly over it, and back at Alex. Shyly, I clasped my hands behind my back.

"I'm not sharing a bed with Alex, he drools." Matt interrupted what I was about to say, saving me the trouble of having to ask Alex if he would share a bed with me.

"I could sleep on the ground since we don't have another mattress." Alex awkwardly suggested, noticing my cherry red cheeks as Matt left, dragging his Mickey Fleece blanket behind him.

I shook my head, biting my lip, "if it's okay with you...we could...share..?" I got out, kicking the ground.

"Yeah, I'd be okay with it." I could hear Alex's barely contained laughter and I wanted to ask him what was so funny, but I refrained as I let out a large yawn. "Let's get to sleep, then." Alex suggested, following me over to the bed. I was in a pair of red sweatpants and a black ASL club t-shirt, Alex in a pair of basketball shorts and a white v-neck. I was nervous, I haven't ever slept in the same bed with a boy before. Makahla had told me I snored before, but not loudly, just a notch above normal breathing volume. And I know I move around a lot.

"Sorry In advance if I kick you, Al." I apologized, making a face.

"Sorry if I drool on you." he laughed.

We settled together, and suddenly, with us so close, I wasn't tired. It was as if an electrical current ran through our bodies. I haven't ever felt like this before, I turned on my side, looking at Alex, who looked wide awake as well.

"Lex?" I whispered, "can I ask you something?"

"Anything." He answered, turning to his side as well so we were facing each other.

"Well...you know my opinion on love...so what's yours?"

Alex bit his lip in thought, looking passed my head to the wall, "I've said I love you before, and you know enough of my lyrics to know that I believe in it. And, I think..." he paused, looking at me, "I think that it does last, you know, for everyone. It's just...sometimes we lose sight of it, we forget ourselves and yearn for something different. In the end, I think, there comes a point when you think, 'I messed up, I should have stayed.'" He said. I nodded, mulling it over.

"Then...what about you?" I asked, "Do you ever think that about...about Lisa?" I met his eyes, slightly ashamed for bringing it up.

Alex sighed, turning on his back to stare at the ceiling, "Honestly, no. Because...because I just feel like you...you're the one I'm supposed to be with. I mean, I love Lisa a lot, I won't lie and say I don't anymore, but... My love for you is..."

He didn't continue, not for a while, I was beginning to think he wasn't going to when he spoke again, "I fall fast, Sara, and I fall hard, it's one of my flaws. With you, though, it was like, suddenly, my whole world was you. I love you like I haven't loved anyone else before. Lisa, I couldn't see myself with her for another couple years into the future. I really thought I would wind up alone in the end because I wasn't good enough for anyone else-"

"Al, you're-" I wanted to tell him that wasn't true, that he was a great guy, but he continued as if I hadn't spoken.

"But...you came. And you turned my world around, truly. The way you treat me, as if I'm one of the most precious things you've ever laid eyes on, you changed my opinion of myself. And you made me see the good in me. And...and I began to be able to imagine myself with you. For all of my life, not just for the time being." he ranted. I was touched, truly, but it did nothing to change my opinion of love.

"Al..."

"I know you don't believe love lasts, Sara, but all I'm asking is a little faith. In me."

"Alex, I...I want to promise you that I will, but...I don't know what will happen, Al, and...really I hate not knowing. I'm used to this happy little bubble where everything is comfortable for me and I don't have to worry because it's the same routine over and over. But, I met you. And you changed so much of my life. And you're so unpredictable, Alex, I-"

He cut me off from my rant with a kiss, soft and sweet. I kissed back, my lips moving against his at his slow pace. I could feel his eyelashes brush against my cheek, wondering if mine did the same to him. I pulled myself closer to him, tilting my head back to deepen the kiss momentarily. Then he pulled back.

"Don't worry, Sarbear. You don't need to plan it out, just take it one day at a time."

"I'm used to plans, Lex."

"But, you see, you can't plan love. And maybe that's why people think they don't feel it anymore."

I was speechless, I didn't expect Alex to say something like this. Ever. I laid my head against his chest, listening to his slightly abnormal heartbeat, mine was the same. Was it from our kiss? Our talk? The fact that we were together like this? I wrapped my hands around Alex's waist, yawning slightly. "I don't expect you to love me right away, SarBear, or change your mind, but I'll wait. In order for love to be timeless, it needs a little time." He ran his fingers through my hair slowly, catching on a few wind-blown tangles. I nodded, thinking I may already be so in love with him.

“That was cheesy.” I couldn't help but mention, my voice muffled slightly by his chest.

“Well, yeah, but...you like it.” I didn't give him any indication that he was right, but, really, he was. I liked the way he was cheesy and cliched, even if I didn't like it in movies and all that. With Alex, everything was different. He hummed a melody softly, one I wasn't familiar with, and moved his fingers up and down my arm, I closed my eyes and sunk further into the comfortable foundation that was Alex.

Within a few moments, I was asleep.

And when I woke up, Alex's warmth still encased me and I snuggled closer, “Are you finally awake?” Alex asked, his fingers moving softly through my hair.

“No.” I mumbled, burying my face more into his chest and tightened my grip on his shirt. “I'm still sleeping.”

“Stop being a smarty pants, doll, and come on, I'll make breakfast.”

“Mmmm, I'd rather not have my new home burned to the ground, thanks.” I replied, wrapping my arms around him to keep him there. Alex's laughter rumbled through his chest and he kissed my head as he wrapped his arms around me.

“I guess we're in no rush to get up right now.” He reasoned, making me smile slightly, “But, you know, eventually, Jack or Makahla, probably both, will burst in here with some ridiculous new scheme.”

“Yeah, I know. But, until then, let me just cuddle you, my teddy bear.” I sighed, “You're so warm.” I squeezed him tighter.

“I don't get how you're always so cold.”

“I don't know, I think maybe it has something to do with my heart being an ice fortress.” I shrugged, hiding a smile.

Alex, however, laughed out loud, “Yeah, right.” He said sarcastically, “You are the most coldhearted person ever.”

“Yup, like an evil witch.” I played along, finally removing my face from Alex's chest and beholding his glorious bed head. “Your hair is always so fun in the morning.” I snickered.

“Not everyone can look like a princess when they wake up.” Alex stuck his tongue out at me.

I shrugged, “It's a gift.”

“Ugh, come on, I'm hungry.”

“Okay, but I'm making breakfast.”

“We don't have any food here, silly, we'll just go get muffins.”

“We?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Mmhmm.” Alex hummed, lacing his fingers through mine and leading me downstairs.

“Hmm, I don't remember agreeing on this.” I tapped my chin, and pretended to think. Alex stopped me in the middle of the stairway, backing me against the wall.

“I think we're at the 'we' point, don't you?” He asked.

I smiled mischievously, “Mmmm, I don't think so.” I shook my head.

“Really? You don't think so?” Alex asked, not catching onto my teasing.

“Nope.” I popped my 'P', shaking my head as I wrapped my arms around his neck. Finally, realization clicked in his head.

He kissed my cheek softly, “What about now?”

“Still not a 'we'.” I shook my head.

“Now?” He kissed me full on the lips, and when I shook my head again, he pulled my flush against him and kissed me deeply. My heart skipped a few beats and my breath hitched in my throat even before he kissed me. And, when he did, I felt like I was losing my mind. “How about now?” He breathed out, looking deeply into my eyes.

“Yeah.” I nodded, trying to regain my senses, “Yeah, I think we're a 'we' now.” I honestly wondered if I did the sames things to him as he did to me. No one had ever affected me as much with a simple touch as Alex did. He was like a fire, rising my simmering blood to an intense boil.

“Good.” He pecked my lips once more, and continued with me down the stairs and into the kitchen where raised voices laughed rambunctiously. We entered finding our idea wasn't as original as we thought and helped ourselves to some muffins and chocolate milk.

“So!” Makahla clapped her hands together, “I think we should go to the beach today. Like, right now.”

“We have to at least get everything from the truck into the house before we go play, Makahla.” I informed her, “The truck needs to be back by six tonight.”

Makahla and Jack both huffed out in disappointment, “Fine, we'll move everything into the house and then we're going to the beach.”

“But-” I began to protest.

“No if, ands, or buts about it.” Jack put his finger to my lips, I pulled back disgusted. I had no idea what he's done with his hands, and knowing Jack, it wasn't something I wanted on my lips.

Alex handed my a cup of chocolate milk and smiled, “I think we're going to the beach later, SarBear.” He chuckled.

“Fine, but we have to go get more sunblock before we do, I used the rest of it up on my arms for the drive here. I didn't have much left.”

“But, you need color, you're so pasty.” Jack poked my pale arm.

“If I don't put on sunblock, after five minutes, I'm as red as a cooked lobster! Not to mention, I happen to like my paper skin, thanks.” I stated proudly and stuck my tongue out at him.

“Yeah, whatever, vamp.” Jack stuck his tongue out at me as well. I pulled a face at him and began to eat my poppyseed muffin with Alex beside me, his hair still a complete mess.
♠ ♠ ♠
Have you checked out Don't Panic, yet?
It's amazing, if I do say so myself.
And I do.

It's also the first CD that I've bought by an English singing band in a while.
Nothing will ever take ATL away from me. Not even my love for Korean men. ^-^