‹ Prequel: Stranded

Rescued.

They livin' it up at the Hotel California

“…If we do that where will we go?”

“I don’t know…”

“Well where are we supposed to go if we don’t know where we’re even going?!”

“What?” Jack asked confused coming opening the guest bathroom where Sara and I were currently having an important discussion in the middle of the floor,

“We’re devising our plan for world domination.” Sara answered straight faced tapping her fingers in front of her like a stereotypical villain,

“Oooo I like devising! Can I help?” he asked plopping down next to us

“No! you’re a boy and boys are icky!” Sara said using her little kid voice

“b-b-but! You’re mean!” Jack pouted

“Sit Jack!” I giggled patting the floor next to me, “We were just talking about moving…”

“Where to?”

“Well if we knew where we were going we’d know where to go!” I answered referring to my odd previous statement, all I got from that was a weird look from Jack and Sara… well I thought it sounded deep and stuff…

“Seriously though Kaykay where are we going?” Sara asked I just shrugged turning to Jack,

“Zack has a place in Cali right?” he nodded

“Yeah! It’s awesome! Right next to the beach and everything! We spend a lot of time there when we have a lot of time off tour.” I nodded biting my lip, this was something to think about…

“But you already have a house in Ohio that you won’t sell why don’t we just go there? I mean it’s not that far from Maryland… a day’s drive…” Sara commented

“But I really don’t want to live there permanently again… how about Cali? I mean it’ll get you a little closer to some of the main offices at Disney and my publisher is in L.A. besides the guys are there a lot and it’s not like we’re starved for money anymore…”

“That’s true… and it would be a lot closer to Mom than Ohio and easier to move to…”

“Exactly! Want to go look for houses on the interwebz?”

“Let’s do this!”

“You two make decisions oddly…” Jack said shaking his head, Sara and I just looked at each other and giggled, standing up. This wasn’t the first time we’d blindly looked for a house in a different state without former knowledge about what we were getting ourselves into. That’s how we did it when we got our house in Idaho, granted we did know a bit more about California than we did Idaho.

Three hours later Sara and I were still real estate searching on our laptops, but we were all sitting on Jack’s parents back porch, his dad was grilling and his mom had made a ton of other foods. The three boys were in the yard playing that weird lawn golf thing with the pipes and balls on strings ya know what I’m talking about (it was shockingly warm for November!), Kaitie was there, as well and we were doing our best to simply ignore each other, seriously it was like a flash back to high school!

“Hey! I found one!” Sara announced proudly, turning her screen so I could see it. It was exactly our kind of house, complete second story, furnished basement, big porch close to the ocean, yeah it was expensive but what could you expect from California? We had the money, or at least the credit and ability to pay off a loan, what was the good of being a famous author and illustrator/animator if we couldn’t use our money to get what we really wanted anyway?

“Hey! That’s right across the street from my place!” Zack exclaimed from behind us,

“How ironically awesome!” I mused stealing Sara’s laptop to take a closer look, “What do you say love? Headin to the west coast?”

“You know it!” she smiled and sent an email to the realtor on the page. Operation take up west coast residence has been initiated!

“Hey Makahla, do you still have the realtor who sold us our house’s number or email at least?” She asked looking back up from her laptop, “because you know we have to sell our house and get a loan and all that jazz.”

“Yeah I have it, but I was thinking earlier, why don’t we just rent it like I do my house in Ohio?”

“That works I guess…” she shrugged, “but we still need the realtor so she can post it and such…”

“true…” I nodded giving the information to her, this was going to be a long process… and by long I mean tedious… I’m no fan of real estate and all the drama it brings with it, but and I have two almost three houses! What’s a 22 year old barley college graduate author girl need with three frikin houses you ask? Well the answer to that is, I HAVE NO FLIPPIN IDEA! I don’t even visit my house in Ohio anymore really, it was my grandparent’s house that I spent my last (and best) year of high school in and after they passed I couldn’t stand to live in it anymore so I listened to my aunt and just rented it out, paying a family friend to take care of all the problems while I lived my life. I had no idea how renting the house in Idaho was going to work, as (as sad as it sounds) we didn’t really make any friends there to help us out. Eh if it’s meant to be it’ll work if not we can always sell it later! Great! There I go again over thinking stuff and babbling in my head… I probably have the lost spaced out look on my face like I usually do when I space…

“Kaykay~…” Jack sings, waving a hand in front of my face, snapping me back in to reality.

“Huh?” I say dumbly and look over to him.

“You had that spacyish look on your face,” Jack shrugged.

I quickly blinked a few times to clear the slight haze that followed a space session, “I was just spacing,” I say, still a little lost in thought.

California was amazing when we stopped there on tour. Sure, we had been there before for Sara’s and my work, but that wasn’t as much fun. We took stops to the ocean, and the must-see places, but having the boys there just makes a trip. Disneyland is always fun, and we could go there for a long weekend once we move!

That decides it; this is going to be the best move ever!

“I’m going to get some food, you want something?” Jack asks.

“Yeah, if everything’s done,” I say, returning my attention to the lanky weird dude.

“Kay, Kaykay,” he smiles happily, kissing my cheek.

After a little bit, we have to stop the moving process because the realtor lady’s office closed and it was time for her to go home.

“No more planning until tomorrow,” Sara sighed.

I sigh along with her. I was getting excited for this. Oh, well. We’ll get it eventually I’d been known to wait longer for less.

I tried to keep an optimistic viewpoint, even while Kaitie was shooting deathly glares at me over popsicles and small fireworks. Sometimes it’s hard though. Like when she ‘accidentally’ spilled cran-apple juice all down my shirt… my good WHITE shirt…

“Oops. Sorry,” she smirked fake apologizing as she walked away acting like she owned the place.

I really just wanted to chase after her and attack, like a puma, but instead, I (once again) decided to be the bigger person and just commented under my breath, “huh… someone needs a tampon change and a stick removal”

Either Kaitie had ears like a hawk, or that was louder than I thought it was, “What?” she all but yelled, turning her heals stomping back toward me,

“I said,” I just really couldn’t take this anymore, “Pull that stick out of your ass!” I heard someone say once that it was healthy to get all the tension out through fighting, pent up rage is not good for the soul, though perhaps they did not mean fist fight. Okay, so our fist weren’t involved, just intense colorful word exchange and somehow I felt worse than before. I hated how worked up she always got me, with that smug look and “I’m way better than you” attitude but it happened every time.

“It’s okay, Kaykay,” Jack said soothing me, stroking my hair.

I sigh and look up to him from my place beside him, “No it’s not,” I sighed dramatically. I still couldn’t tell him that part of the reason I was in such a weird mood was the “M” word discussion

“Why wouldn’t it be? You’re surrounded by people who love you, even if you don’t see it. You’re moving soon to a new place, with your best friend. You have a super sexy boyfriend who loves you. It’s going to be fine, Kaykay I promise!” He said pulling me closer into his side, I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in his shoulder sighing. I’ll admit, Jack did have a way of cheering me up with his mini adorable pep talks, but it’s mainly those eyes. Those deep amazing chocolate brown never ending windows of eye in his pretty little head.

“I love you,” Jack said, kissing my forehead.

“I love you, too,” I sigh cuddling closer, I meant it every time I said it, I really did. I’m just a little apprehensive about the “M” word in general.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hiya!! so whatcha think? I'd really love to know via a comment or two xp

Sadly this is the last chapter...

from me...

for a few weeks ;p

had you worried for a second didn't I! lol seriously though, I'm going to be gone for three weeks without internet because of marching band, so Sara's going to update for me weather she knows it or not! xp

so untill then my dears! comments are loved!

peace!
Kaykay