Status: A chapter a day keeps the angry fans away

I Thought I Was Becoming a Maid; Not Your Wife

Chapter One

"'Rissa!" I turned to the door of my apartment. I sighed wondering what the fourteen year old Lauren from across the hall wanted now. As I walked to the door, I pulled my long black curls into a pony tail. I opened the door and the blonde barreled past me.

Okay, I'm pausing the story here. My name is Clarissa Patterson. I'm nineteen years old and live with my three year old daughter, Annalisa, in a country called Frescan.

No, Annalisa is not my real daughter.Three years ago when I was still living with my older brother Daniel she showed up on my doorstep as a bundle of blankets. I took her in and kept her. She's my life now.

As stated earlier, my hair is black, long, and curly. My eyes are hazel and I'm 5'7". Annalisa has wavy brown hair that's kept shoulder length; her eyes are blue.

So, yeah, let's start this story back up!

"What is it, Lauren?" I asked, shutting the door and turning to face her.

"This came in our mail, but it's your's! And it's from the Royals! Apparently every single female between the ages of sixteen and twenty-two are being asked to go to the castle. According to the letter, the Prince is looking for a personal maid!" she babbled.

"You read my mail!?" I ripped the paper from her hand and read it over.

"Uh...Lauren? This says that they want the girls to meet there on May Tenth," I said.

"I know."

"Lauren, that's today! And I have to be there in an hour!"

"Well then go get ready!"

"I can't leave Anna here alone."

"I'll watch the brat. Where is she?" I frowned. Lauren had been calling Anna a brat since she'd stuck gum in her hair.

"She's napping."

"Okay. It'll be fine as long as she doesn't wake up."

[][][][][]

I came back from my room ten minutes later wearing a faded denim skirt, black flats, and a rather tight fitting baby blue shirt with a purple design on the back. "That's what you're wearing?" Lauren asked from the doorway.

"Yes." I looked down at myself.

"Ooookay, have fun! Hope you get the job, 'Rissa."

I frowned and left the apartment.

[][][][][]

Thirty minutes later I was standing at the end of a line of atleast 67 girls between the ages of sixteen and twenty-two. I looked down the line. The majority of the girls were blonde. The majority of the girls were also wearing revealing clothing.

Twenty minutes later the large oak doors to the ball room opened. The Prince and his grandmother walked in. Why his grandmother? Why not his parents? Oh well...

They began walking down the line, slowly at that. He didn't stop to talk to the girls, I noticed. He simply looked at them. I wondered if we'd all have to be interrogated later. I don't even know why I was here.

Probably because this would bring in some money. And I needed cash to take care of me and Annalisa. My job at the local bakery didn't pay much.

After what seemed like an hour, the Prince and his grandmother were four girls away from me. I noticed he would look at them and then down at me. I felt the nerves kicking in. I wasn't like the other girls here. I didn't fawn over the Prince...okay, I did occasionally. But not all the time like they did.

I was lost in my thoughts, dazed, when I heard a male clearing his throat. I blinked, returning to reality with an, "Oh."

I looked up to meet the Prince's gorgeous green eyes staring down at me. His full lips curved upwards into a smile. "Hello," he spoke, his voice soft.

The girls next to me turned their heads, glaring. "H-hi," I stuttered.

"What's your name and how old are you?"

"My name's Clarissa Patterson. I'm nineteen."

The Prince's smile widened and he turned to look at his grandmother who was glaring at the girls glaring at me. "Grandmother, could you ask the others to leave?" he asked loudly.

I'm sure all the girls heard him. His grandmother asked them to "please exit quietly". A few gaurds came in to make sure all the girls left the castle. When they were gone I was left alone with the Prince, his grandma, and two gaurds. I swallowed looking up at the Prince.

"Prince, sir, uh does this mean I got the job?" I asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Frescan isn't a real country, I maid it up. (hehe pun)