Status: A chapter a day keeps the angry fans away

I Thought I Was Becoming a Maid; Not Your Wife

Chapter Two

The Prince looked down at me, still smiling. "Call me Terrian and yes, you did." was his answer.

His grandmother took hold of my wrist and began to another set of large oak doors. "Where are we going?" I asked, curious.

"To show you to your room." his grandmother responded.

I suddenly stopped walking willingly. She couldn't pull me so she stopped as well. Turning to look at me, she asked, "What?"

"I-I can't just stay here. I've got to get home to my daughter."

Terrian suddenly appeared at my side, peering down at me. His smile was gone and his eyebrows were knitted together in confusion. "Daughter? Huh, you didn't strike me as the type to be a pregnant teenager," he said in his soft voice.

"I am not her birth mother. I found her on my porch three years ago."

Suddenly his grandmother clapped. "Oh, this is perfect! Terrian, why don't you and Marissa-"

"Clarissa," I corrected.

"Oh, sorry, dear. Why don't you and Clarissa go get her and break her home? Then you three could be like a real family!"

Now my eyebrows were knitted in confusion. "Family? I thought I was going to be a maid?"

Terrian chuckled beside me. "I guess we should've told you that bit first. You're not actually going to be my maid, but my wife."

I stared at him, gaping for what seemed like hours. Then I became lightheaded and my eyes fluttered shut. The last thing I remembered was falling and someone catching me.

[][][][][]

"Clarissa? Clarissa, can you hear me?" His voice was still soft, but there was a hint of anxiety in there.

I opened my eyes wanting to see the owner of this beautiful voice. As I lifted my heavy eyelids, Prince Terrian came into view. He was leaning over me, as was his grandmother, the two guards who'd been in the room, and a nurse.

"She's fine. I think it was just shock from the news, Sire," the nurse said.

Terrian nodded and waved her off. She left and he helped me stand. "So it wasn't just a dream?" I asked.

Terrian's grandmother smiled. "No, dear, it wasn't. Now you're going to get your daughter and bring her hear, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am."

Terrian said goodbye to the old woman and took me by the elbow. The guards followed us down to a black limo outside the castle.

When we were seated inside, Terrian stared at me. I felt my cheeks beginning to burn from the blush creeping up my neck. I watched him smile and run a hand through his thick shaggy blond hair.

"Tell me about yourself and your...daughter." He felt awkward saying it, I could tell.

"Well, um. I like to read and write. My favorite book or play, I guess, is Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. I have an older brother. His name is Daniel. He's been looking out for me since our parents died when I was fourteen. Annalisa, that's my daughter, is three. Her hair's brown and her eyes are blue. She talks a lot and speaks rather well for a three year old." I stopped talking, not really sure what to say.

"I can't wait to meet her."

We stared at each other for a minute before he said, "So, you're probably wondering about the wife thing, right?"

I simply nodded.

"Well, my grandmother, Laretta is her name. She's been wanting me to get married, but I just don't like dating so she told me she'd arrange a marriage. I didn't just want some girl so she came up with this idea. I liked it a little better."

"Why'd you pick me?"

"'Cause you were the only one who sparked my interest. You weren't whispering about me to the girl next you, or jumping up and down with excitement. Also because you're very...beautiful."

A blush made it's way up my neck and to my cheeks as I looked out the window.

[][][][][]

"Lauren, I want you to open the door, but you mustn't scream," I said through the wooden door to my apartment. Terrian was standing behind me, looking amused.

When the door opened, little Annalisa was standing there. "Hi mommy!" she said, wrapping her arms around my legs.

"Sweetie, where's Lauren?" I asked, picking her up.

She pointed inside, but was looking at Terrian. "Who's he?" she asked, now pointing at him.

"Annalisa, don't point. And that's, uh..." I said, trying to think of how to explain to her who he was.

"I'm your mommy's boyfriend," Terrian said, smiling at Annalisa.

She giggled and looked at me. "Mommy has a boyfwiend?"

Another blush appeared and I only nodded at my daughter. Then I remember we were standing in the hall still. "Oh! Why don't we get inside?" I mumbled, stepping into the apartment which luckily, was clean.

Terrian stepped in behind me and closed the door. As we walked towards the living room I could here Lauren talking on the phone. Once we were in the doorway I cleared my throat.

"Oh, I gotta go!" She breathed into the receiver before hanging up.

When she turned to look at me-er us, her eyes widened. "Oh...my...god! 'Rissa, h-he's the PRINCE!" she exclaimed.

"Oh? I didn't know. I met him outside and invited him in," I said, smiling slightly.

"You liar. So, you got the job, I'm guessing?"

I nodded, putting Annalisa down, only to have her side step to Terrian and raise her arms. He looked down at her, then at Lauren, and then finally at me.

"She wants you to hold her," I said.

His lips formed and 'O' shape and he reached down, picking her up and putting her on his shoulders. She giggled again and rested her small hands on his head.

"Lauren? You can go home now." She flickered her eyes from Terrian to me. She only nodded, staring at him when she left.

"Alright, well, I guess I should pack, hm?"

Terrian turned to me. He'd been looking up at Annalisa. "Yes. Would you like me to help you, Clarissa?"

"No, no, that's fine. Could you just entertain her for me?"

He smiled. "Sure."

I dashed down the hallway to my room first and began packing. This seemed so odd. Packing to move into the castle, I mean. Well, being engaged to the Prince felt odd too, considering I didn't know him really.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to the four that subscribed but I would enjoy some more comments :)