Status: Going On Break With This- I Promise I'll Come Back Soon

Oh, Sweet Rhythm

Seven

Image


It turns out that the zoo closes at seven during the school year. The don't get many visitors at night anyway. I practically had to beg the guy at the entrance to let me in. I'm now inside -by the way, our zoo charges a whole lot of money to see about twenty different animals I can see on the discovery channel- and trying to find the panda pin. It's already 6:35 so I'm trying to hurry. Finally, a minute early, I spot it from a distance.

It's built into a cave-like wall, where the pandas are meant to sleep. The ground is grassy and there's lots of bamboo and leaves for this cute, yet dangerous, bears to eat. Rhythm is standing right next to the habitat, watching the pandas with a motherly expression on my face. She's still dressed the same way from school, so she's getting strange looks from the few people that do happen to be here. She said not to be a minute early or late, so I keep my eyes on the watch and as soon as the seven turns to an eight, I walk over to Rhythm.

"Panda's reach sexual maturity between the age of four and eight and are ready to begin breeding," she says, not even glancing at me. Her white hair is tucked gently behind her ear and her gray eyes are focused on two baby pandas that seem to be playing with each other. "Can you imagine if humans were the same way? Children having children? it's outrageous."

"I guess so," I can't help but laugh. It's funny that she even knows that about pandas. She looks at me. Not just looks, but rather she sees me. It's like I'm not just a person, I'm a person with feelings and I need to be loved, just like everyone else. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this girl was supernatural.

"You came exactly at the time I told you too," She muses. "Most boys would have been to lazy and came whenever or too anxious and showed up early. You are...different."

"Thank you," I think. "Was that a compliment?"

"The jury's still out on that one." Is all she says before she turns her attention back to the panda cubs. The push each other over, crawling all over one another, but it's all in good spirit, so the other doesn't mind. "I used to watch the pandas back when I was in Nebraska. They were a little hungrier and lazier than the ones here."

I laugh and watch them as well. I try to estimate how old they are- maybe two years old. It's crazy to think that maybe in another two years, these two may be mating rather than rough housing. I do now imagine what they world would be like if humans were the same- we'd be over populated quickly, each new child being so sickly or screwed up because their parents are five years old.

"I like watching them because no matter whose cub it is, the mother's all treat the cubs as their own. Their like a tight knit family." I smile at her words.

"I wish my family was that close." I admit, wishing I could take the words back before they even came out of my mouth.

"What do you mean, Christopher?" She asks, turning toward me and cocking her head to the right. Her sun kissed skin looks like it's shining in the setting sun and the warm hair makes me want to feel the heat of her skin.

"My grandparents haven't talked to us in years, no aunts or uncles, no close cousins. It's just me and my parents- hardly. Things are weird between them right now." Something about Rhythm just makes the truth fly out of my mouth, but I trust her with it. I know she'll never tell a soul. She doesn't say anything for a minute or two, giving me a little time to think about my family. I smile when I'm done, ready to talk about something else. "So, why'd you want me here so close to closing time?"

"The pandas back home always seemed to know that when it was closing time, it was bed time and they'd all go back to their little cubby hole and sleep- I wanted to see if the ones here are like that." For the rest of the time, we watch the baby pandas play. Another minute and I realize that Rhythm is right. Right before closing time, the mother pandas come out of their dens -are they called dens?- and pick their babies up like a mommy cat does to a kitten. We both start laughing, watching as one of the cubs tries to wiggle out of it's mother's mouth. But, all good things come to an end and it's closing time. The park attendants rush us out and we don't speak until we're out in the parking lot.

"It may have been short, but I had a good time." I say as she fixes her hair from all the running we had to do to get out of there. Her gray eyes fall upon my brown ones and I feel safe. Her lips curl into a small smile from the compliment and her cheeks get rosier.

"So did I, but I have one question." We stop walking and we turn to face each other. The parking lot is empty except for a few cars and I can't tell which one is hers. Her eyes light up as I nod. She asks the next question with a smile on her face. "Does your girlfriend know you're here?"

Shit.

"How'd you know I had a girlfriend?" I ask in a panic. This is the kind of thing that girls stop talking to you for. To be honest, I hadn't even thought of Josette before the school day had even started. Does that matter, though?

"You can tell if a boy is dating someone by the way the walk." She laughs. "If they walk slow next to a girl they like, they've had a girlfriend. If he doesn't reach for your hand, he has a girlfriend. And if he's honest about having one, he's not a cheater."

"And I'm?"

"Not a cheater."

"Look, maybe I should have declined when you asked, but I think your the most unique and amazing girl I've ever seen and I-" She stops me mid sentence, putting her hand on my shoulder.

"I knew you had one when I asked. That doesn't mean we can't be friends," She says, her blush getting even deeper. "Girlfriend or not, we had fun tonight and I'd like to see more of you."

I knew she didn't mean like a dating sort of way, but she wanted to hang out and laugh and watch the pandas together. I suppose that isn't a terrible thing to do, right? It's not cheating. It was harmless tonight and that's what it will always be- harmless. Rhythm may be the most spectacular girl on this planet, but I'm a kind hearted boy and I'd never even think about cheating on Josette.

"How 'bout we start tomorrow. At school. I'll see you there?" I smile at her.

"You will."

- - - - - -


"I stopped by your house tonight," Josette says, her voice cool over the phone. Across the street, her light is on. I can almost see her pacing, on fist clinched and eyes narrowed. Her platinum hair, pushed behind her ears angrily. She sounds upset. "Your dad told me you weren't home."

"I, uh, went to hang out with Leon at his house." I lie. Maybe it would have been better to tell the truth, but to be honest about going to the zoo with the new girl scares the hell out of me. Josette doesn't seem like the kind of girl who would be fine with that.

"Oh..." She pauses, obviously ashamed of being so angry. If she knew the truth, she would know that she had every right, but it was to late now. "We're still on for Thursday, right?"

"Totally!" Thursday would be a chance to redeem myself, I'm sure. I'd just see how amazing Josette is and try desperately not to feel something in me for Rhythm. I'd kiss Josette again and know that she's the right choice. But, even that whole mind set seems wrong.

"I can't wait. Listen, my parent's want the phone, so I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight, Josette." I smile, knowing that she -hopefully- did as well.

"Goodnight, Christopher."
♠ ♠ ♠
Not sure how quickly I will get number eight up, but plase, do enjoy :)