Under A Paper Moon.

Keep Your Hopes Up High And Your Head Down Low.

"Wh-what's happening?" I fretted as a nurse wheeled me quite quickly down different hospital hallways. I looked back and forth to see two people dressed in green scrubs and a white mask over their face, pulling on gloves, one was wheeling a drip. I started to panic, "Jack?"

He trotted quickly behind and he looked completely and utterly terrified. I don't know, everything just seemed so surreal. It was like, one minute Jack was helping me from the sidewalk before calling help and then the next doctors were working furiously in the ambulance, murmuring words which my ears couldn't comprehend from shock. The only clear images I can remember was those of a monitor almost hanging over me showing a distressed and overly blurry photo of a baby. My baby.

"Oh my-" I gasped and cringed as I involuntarily hunched over in the wheelchair, grasping my stomach, which seemed to move. What? A rising pain build up in my stomach before moving downwards, drenching my thighs and sprawling up my back. My breath hitched before I could do any more and my vision was becoming hazy, I felt light-headed. The rushing bustle around us, around me, just seemed to blur in my eyes, I didn't know what was going on momentarily before the pain subsided. Almost.

My heart was thumping a mile a minute in my chest, everything was overwhelming.

The nurse jolted and I was almost wheeled into a door which had the word Operation across the steel with a red stripe under it. The door opened and I twisted in my seat was too fast and eyed Jack, "No, no!"

He went to step towards me and a doctor placed a hand on his shoulder, "Sorry sir, you're not permitted here."

My heart clenched when Jack was nudged backwards by the doctor and I was wheeled into the operation room.
The room was relatively bright and there was a table in the almost cent re of the room. There was an ultrasound scan beside it and a tray of different operation utensils. I squirmed in the wheelchair trying to get out but a surgeon was already helping me out and guiding me towards the table in the short distance. They made me change into a robe and laid me back, my stomach got a striking pain again.
I couldn't exactly see what was happening but I knew that they pushed my robe up so it was just under my breasts and then took a scan - I could feel the gel being put on and the wand dancing on my skin.

One doctor, or nurse, came to my side and inserted the needle into the back or my left hand for the drip and taped it down while another came to my other side with a mask and a metal tube of anesthesia. MY eyes widened as he turned that valve and tested it to thin air for a second.

"What's happening?" I asked rather loudly before the surgeon turned my way.

"Well you fell you caused a rupture. The babies are drowning in blood and it might be too late, we have to remove them. You're going under anesthesia while we operate. But we assure you, we'll do the best we can."

Something clicked in my head then, "Babies?"

"Yes, they're twins. Did you not know?"

I looked up at the light ceiling and shook my head slightly as the doctors got back to getting the operation ready.
Twins. I was carrying twins and I never knew about it at all. I was only open to knowing there was one baby I was carrying, not two.
They soon set up a heart monitor and then inserted a liquid into a needle, the nurse who did so stood over me then and looked me in the eyes with sorrow. I'm guessing the needle with the milky liquid was to keep me knocked out during the anesthesia.

"I don't want this to happen!" I yelped and everything went momentarily quiet before the bustling carried on.

"Miss, it's either you die with the babies or you spare your own life to carry more in the future." The surgeon gave me a look and nodded to the nurse who leaned the gas mask over my face.

"The babies then." I murmured before the gas mask was pressed to my mouth and after a few eager seconds of uneven breathing my eyes became droopy and I was starting to feel drowsy.

The nurse then quickly injected me with the vile and all I saw was black.


I shot up in my hospital bed and looked around. The sun was out but it was drenched by heavy clouds. I ran my fingers back through my hair before looking down. Jack was gone.
I sighed and pushed myself against the uncomfortable barred board of the bed and I clenched my knees as far as I could to my chest. I looked at the tiny clock in my room, and it read that it was only after ten AM. My eyes were burning with tears but they were already damp from just waking up, and I had a slight headache.
I can't get over how selfish I was to let them take the baby like that. I could have let them take my life with him. But then, the baby I was carrying now that was still alive - and apparently well - would be gone too. Life just isn't fair, and I could never understand the consequences.

"Hey you're awake." I looked up, barred from my thoughts by a soft voice. It was Zack.

"Yeah, where's Jack?" I coughed and then I just realized how sore my throat was and how much it needed to be watered.

"Well, he was here. But me and the guys came to see how you were doing and he looked so shaken up and tired, basically like shit, and Alex taunted him for an hour to go home and get some proper sleep. So, Alex and Lisa are driving him home before they come back after picking up Rian. I cam earlier so I thought I'd stay. The other girls can't come though but they promise to see you when you get home by the weekend." Zack smiled and brushed back the small amount of hair from my face too.

"Thank you for staying." I smiled and leaned forward to hug him.

"It's no problem. Everyone's worried for you."

I nodded and looked down, "I let them take the baby instead of letting them take me." I whispered. "I feel so guilty."

"Rayne. No, please," I looked up, "You did what you had to do, OK? If they had taken your life nothing would be the same for any of us, and Jack would be heartbroken. He would have lost not only two kids but a girl he loves." Zack kissed my forehead. I always adored how close we were.

I nodded and pondered for a second before looking back up at his worried face. He opened his mouth to speak, "How about you relax, eh? I brought your laptop too so you could do something. And I'll go get us some food, Alex won't be here for another while."

I smiled in appreciation when he handed me my laptop bag and went to get us some food. I set it up and was thankful that I could pick up some wi-fi from the hospital. So, as usual, I decided to check my email and roam face book for a few minutes.

As I was going through some new notifications in my hotmail account I noticed I had a new email, from Ursela. And I could just feel a storm brewing.

I opened the email and saw that it was relatively short, but just by scanning it I could see that it was not nice so I just simply deleted it without caring. I guess it's just time to move on from her selfish and manipulative games.

~*~

Jack's Point Of View.


"You're going to be OK here alone right?" Lisa asked me for the tenth time and I just nodded my head silently. Again.

"Give him some time, Lee." Alex chuckled at her as he pulled into the driveway to my house. I murmured a thanks and unbuckled myself before Alex said, "If you need any help, call at any time."

I smiled and gave him a big, sloppy kiss on the cheek, and he did not look impressed in the least. But nonetheless, he smiled. I watched as they pulled out of my driveway and I walked into my dead house. I called for my mom and dad but no one replied. So I guessed that they were out.
I threw my jacket over the stair's banister and stalked to my kitchen in almost slow motion and opened the fridge, I pulled out a yogurt pot. I tore of the flimsy lip and spooned a portion of it into my mouth.

After a few minutes my doorbell rang and I sighed, having to walk down the hallway again. Whoever was behind the door rang the bell two more times before I slung the door open quite aggressively.

"What?" I groaned, noticing who was ignorantly standing there.

"Well, hello to you too." Ursela smirked as she walked into my house without permission and I just stood there dumbfounded.

"Are you just trying to get back at me since I told you to get fucked like three months ago?" I turned, but never closed the door.

"Hmm, kind of. But I more or less want to get to that bitch of your's, an-"

"Ursela, stop pulling strings here, no one gives a flying fuck about you or your stupid little games." I sighed and I just didn't care what spilled out of my mouth at this moment.

Her mouth formed into an 'o' shape at what I said and I nodded, then very slowly she walked towards me.
"You take that back."

"I will in my bollox take it back, now get out of my house." I sighed and her face got way too close to comfort. Her breath was near my ear and moved down my jaw before almost reaching my lips. She went to move her lips to mine before I copped onto what was happening and I yanked her off and she fell out onto the porch, she straightened herself up though.

"Why don't you just do us all a favor and fuck out of all our lives." I stated and slammed the door on her before sighing. She was taking things way too far.

I decided to go get some rest and sleep properly for a few hours, I kept waking up last night in the hospital so I think I deserved a little piece.
I just hope Ursela doesn't try to hurt Rayne, she's played the victim for too long.