Under A Paper Moon.

I Need You.

"I fucking hate Christmas." I grumbled as Jade fixed the back of my dress that just about fit over my bump. She giggled and patted my back, before moving around me and kissing my cheek. It's December 25th and my whole family are over at our house this year for the celebration. This is the one thing I'm surprised we held off; telling the res of my family about the little situation growing inside of me.

"Why? It's a time of joy." Jade smiled as she tugged on her jacket and scarf. She came over a little while ago to give me a present she bought me, and it was the dress she just fought onto me. I got her a locket and a handful of her favorite bands' Cd's. Needless to say she was over the moon about them. It's the thought that counts I guess.

"Not when your whole family from Cali are coming over and they do not on any circumstance know about this." I pointed to my bump as I inspected myself in the full lenght mirror. Jade smiled and gave me a hug from behind. I sighed and shook my head.

"I'll see you later, I have to go home. Merry Christmas and I love you, M'kay? I'll pop by tomorrow." She smiled and let go of me and left my room. I combed my fingers through my hair and I turned sideways. My bump has gotten a whole lot bigger, and was way noticeable now. Obviously. I ran my hand over it and the baby moved which caused me to smile. She's been doing that a lot lately and it's a really weird feeling. It's like you ate something and now it's kicking you from the inside out.

"Oh honey you look beautiful." My mother's exasperated gasp made me jump. I looked up and she had her hands on her cheeks, smiling. I chuckled and murmured a thank you to her before looking back in the mirror, "Your Grandmother will be here in about an hour. So will your Uncles' families', oh and your father's family too."

"Oh, I did know that many people were coming, Ma." I looked up and she gave me an apologetic glance, she breathed out deeply.

"I didn't know either, I just thought it was Barry and Mark with their families' and your Grandma. Your father didn't inform me until this morning, I'm sorry dear." By now she was in front of me with her hands on my shoulders, her touch made me shiver. I nodded and all of a sudden felt extremely nervous and my breathing quickened. I didn't expect my dad's side of the family to be coming, now I have to face twenty-something people that have absolutely no insight about anything, "Don't worry, they'll understand." My mom's chapped lips pressed against my forehead and she left my bedroom. I stood there awkwardly unsure of what to do.

I maneuvered my way around my room so I was sitting at my vanity, I fumbled with my phone for a minute before sending a text to Jack.

To: Jack
Merry Christmas! Come over l8tr if u want to, I have your present. My family is on their way over now, wish me luck! -.-

I sighed and stood up and started making my way downstairs. I know this is going to be one eventful celebration, I am just not looking forward to it one bit.

~*~


"Rayne, your Grandmother and uncles are here!" My father yelled through the hallway as I heard their soft murmuring words as they trotted to the kitchen. I rolled my eyes and stood up, walking gingerly to the kitchen. My mother was wrapped in a hug with my Grandma. My uncle Barry was talking to my dad about something with his daughter pressed on his hip, his wife was standing next to him smiling. My other uncle was seated at the kitchen table with his fianceƩ, their two kids were running around with action figures swinging in every direction. It's just wonderful how they're only here less than five minutes and I have a headache.

"Hey Caleb." I smiled and bent over slightly to pick up my four year old cousin. He didn't weigh a tonne so he didn't strain my back or hurt me at all, "Did you presents off Santy?"

He smiled widely, "I got action dolls!" He almost yelled and I giggled.

"Oh Rayne!" My Grandma smiled and her arms outstretched. I hesitantly walked out to face her and her face immediately dropped as well as her arms. The kitchen invaded with silence, the only thing making any noise was the food cooking. I looked towards the ground and set Caleb down gently. I could feel everyone's eyes on me and my eyes stung with tears. I'm pretty sure my nose and cheeks were reddening, "Oh my."

"Uhm, I-I'm so sorry." I whispered and turned and walked into our living room. I sat on the couch and no matter how much I fought the urge, tears spilled from my eyes and cascaded down my face. I dabbed the tears away with my thumbs and sat back. A moment later the couch dipped and a hand grasped mine. I cracked opened my eyes to see my uncle's wife Drella beside me, her hand firmly in mine. Her thumb traced over the back of my hand, my nan was standing directly in front of me.

"How far along are you." Drella smiled, trying to make me as comfortable as possible.

"Just five months." I nodded and my Grandma sighed, her hands placed on her hips.

"And you never decided to call? How come we never new about this sooner?" My nan scolded and let out a shaky breath, trying to reduce the sob that was forming. I shook my head and looked to Drella, she was looking down at the floor.

"Mother, she was scared and broken, don't belittle her please. It's Christmas." My heart jumped. I didn't notice my own mother standing at the entrance of the door. Her cheeks were red with rage and her arms were folded neatly across her chest.

"We should have been informed, I never knew my grandchild was pregnant."

"It didn't come to concern when I first found out, I was more worried about school and informing my own parents first." I found my voice and sat us straighter in the couch, my Grandma's eyes darted to me in a squinted glare.

"It is my concern, I didn't know my grandchild was bearing her own. You're a disgrace to this family, you're sixtee-"

"Mother!" My mom gasped and I sprung from the couch, not minding that I tore my hand out of Drella's and bolted to the front door. My eyes hurt and when I blinked the crust from my mascara tore at my ducts. I knew from the beginning that I was a disgrace from this but I didn't want to hear it. I wanted to rush through this to get my life back on track.

"Ray-"

"No!" I flipped around and threw my mother's hands off my shoulders. She looked as if she wanted to cry; her eyes were glassy with tears. I shook my head, my chest felt heavy and I was slightly shaking. My heels clicked against the tile flooring before I reached the front door. By then I slowed down in my movements. Everything seemed to fall apart in a matter of minutes. I turned around to face my mother, I saw my dad behind her, slowly walking up to place a hand on her shoulder and looking to me with an apologetic gleam in his eyes. "I'm so sorry. I-I never meant for any of this to happen. It just did, I know in my heart that I'm a disgrace but I didn't want to hear it. I just.. I don't know what to do anymore." I spoke before opening the door and stepping out.
I never realized how cold it was outside until I stepped out in it. I wasn't wearing a cardigan or a jacket so the winter air slashed my skin. It went right through me, and I didn't want to turn around and get a jacket from inside the house, that would just seem sad.

I stepped down my porch, my heels cracked through the snow and my feet went numb in a matter of seconds. This is a horrid idea. I sighed and let out a breath, the ice caught it and it came out in a cloud. I wrapped my arm around myself. By the time I actually stepped out of my front yard, my father's family pulled up in their cars. I just ignored their calls.

I didn't necessarily know where I was going, I just walked. My body controlled itself and I concentrated on not falling again.
By the time my feet were completely numb along with my hands and face, I looked up at the familiar house of my boyfriend's family. I inwardly smiled. I'm more than certain due to the cold weather my cheeks and nose were red, but from the continuous crying my eyes were red. Goosebumps were on my arms and legs as well.

I stepped up on the slippery porch and knocked on the door. I only had to wait a few seconds before a familiar laugh opened the door. Jack stood there, but his smile faltered and he urged me in, pulling me into a hug the second I stepped over the threshold. He ran his hands up and down my arms trying to warm me up, and then to my cheeks to cup my face. He pressed his lips against mine, it made my heart flutter madly and I smiled into it, placing my hands on his.

"Wh- what are you doing here?" He smiled and continued rubbing his hands on my arms. I felt the blood rush back into them and into my face. I smiled and fell into his chest, I nuzzled my head into the crook of his neck. His hands moved to my back.

"Just.. Family crap." I whispered and he pulled me away to look into my eyes.

"You're OK right? Did they say anything? What happened?" I laughed at his rushed words.

"I'm fine now, I walked to clear my head. Uhm-"

"Rayne?" I looked up and Jack was urging me to tell him.

"M-my nan called me a disgrace." I whispered and he pulled me to his chest. Not to hard though, my bump caused a gap between us. I smiled though; he smelt like chocolate. I guess that was from the food spilled down his shirt.

"You are not a disgrace at all Rayne." He murmured and kissed my forehead, resting his chin on the crown of my head. I nodded weakly into his chest and pulled his shirt involuntarily with shaky fingers. He continued to peck my forehead and temples for a few seconds before pecking my lips. His mother then walked out.

"Rayne! What a lovely surprise." Joyce smiled and brought me into a hug. I loved Joyce; she was more of a mother to me than my own sometimes. She was so laid back and easy going, and that's what I loved about her. Jack and his sister was so lucky to be raised by such a woman.

"Hello Joyce." I smiled and pushed what happened less than a half an hour earlier behind me, she took my hand and squeezed it.

"Would you like to stay for dinner dear?" She patted my face quickly and I nodded, myself and Jack followed her into the kitchen. Jack's dad Bassam was sitting there reading the news paper. Not like there was anything interesting in it anyway.

"Hello Bassam." I spoke, my voice slightly hitched for some reason.

"Merry Christmas Rayne." He looked up and smiled. I noticed he never paid any attention to Joyce, she didn't even give him a glance as he spoke. Was something going on?

"Here, I have something I want to give to you." Jack took my hand and led me from the kitchen to his room. I wasn't surprised that it looked like a dump, he never cleans it. And if he does it's only a matter of seconds until it's filthy again, usually because he misplaced something and can't find it.

"What are you-"

"This." He looked down, a blush creeped up from his neck to his cheek. He was handing me a big enough white leather case, I literally couldn't wipe the smile off of my face. I moved around Jack to sit on his bed and he foll wed, I threw my legs over his and sat close to him. I shakily opened the small boxed and gasped at what was in it.
There was a gold watch placed in the box with gold bow ear-rings and a gold flower ring. It all matched. They were absolutely breath taking.

"Oh my gosh Jack these are beautiful." I smiled and leaned up to press my lips against his. I smiled when I pulled away, he raked a hand through my hair.

"Really? I didn't think-"

"No, no, really. You just went.. Oh my." I was literally lost for words. I couldn't form words to tell him how happy I am. How happy he made me.

"I love you too." He chuckled and pulled me to his chest. Jack was the person who filled the empty void in me.

He's the perfect person I was looking for.