Under A Paper Moon.

I Found A Photo Of The Person I Was Looking For.

I sighed, slouching back in the chair of the General Hospital waiting room. I bounced my foot eagerly on the linoleum floor, earning a few odd stares from people. I just looked down at my lap when Jack walked in, handing me a bottle of water.

"I want to go home." I whispered at him even though it was more of a hiss. Jack wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed my temple, bending his head so he was breathing below my ear. I smiled and rubbed a hand over my tired eyes.

"So do I, but you have to do this, just to make sure." I nodded at his words. My mom booked an Ultrasound appointment for me, even though I tried to reason it was a little too early to go to one. But she gave me a massive speech on how anything could happen or could be wrong. Still, too early for my own liking.
She was really off-centerd recently. My dad hasn't been home much either. He was "working" or staying somewhere. He only came home when my mom was at work or from what Alex's mom has been telling my mom (from seeing him.) he'd come when I'm at school too.

I looked up and pecked Jack on the lips quickly before snapping my head towards the door, seeing a girl - probably no older than myself - walk in. There was a man beside her carrying her jacket and she kept fixing her shirt over her bump. She was probably around five months pregnant.

"Hi, is t-there anyone sitting there?" I looked up and she pointed to the seat next to me. I shook my head, whispering a "no" and she smiled, sitting down. A couple was called and they left, for whatever reason, and I was hoping that we'd be called soon.

"I'm Viktorija." She introduced herself and I turned to face her, licking over my lips.

"I'm Jack!" I chuckled at Jack, as he raised his hand, smiling through his glasses. The man that she was with was actually her uncle, she was fostered by him apparantly.

"I'm Rayne, nice to meet you." Smiling, I shook her hand, "How far along are you?"

"Almost six months, yourself?"

"About two, I don't know, this is my first Ultrasound." I admitted, and Jack took my hand, running his thumb over the skin, I tingled from the contact and smiled. We exchanged a few words here and there, and then my name was called. After mumbling a good-bye, I walked down the bleak hallway which smelled like strong hand sanitizer and medicine. I scrunched my nose, it wasn't the most pleasant mixture of smells.

"Von Tesse?" The woman at the counter before the Ultrasound room asked.

"Yes," I breathed "That's me."

"OK," The woman handed me a clip-board and pointed to the door I should go into, "A doctor will be with you in a moment."

We made our way into the room and it was dimly lit, blinds were half shut. I walked towards the bed, and looked at Jack, who shrugged. I leaned against it and sighed, running a hand through my hair. I don't want to go through this at all. It's just too much.

"What are you thinking?" Jack looked at me, and I shrugged, keeping my eyes on the floor.

"I don't want to go through this.. At all."

He moved towards me and slipped his arms around my waist, kissing my forehead. My hands found his chest and I crumpled the fabric with my fingers tugging on it. He slowly leaned down to kiss my lips, sliding his tongue in my mouth it took my breath away and I leaned up on my toes before pulling away, smiling. The door clicked opened and I moved so I could see who walked in.
He looked like he was about in his late thirties, he had brown cropped hair and was wearing glasses over green eyes. He was smiling.

"Hello, Miss.." He looked down at the clip board I just handed him, "Von Tesse. I'm Doctor Richter, why don't you lie back on the table and we'll take a little look." I smiled uneasily and sat back on the bed, he clicked a button on a remote and it jerked a little bit before sliding back with ease. Jack sat on a chair next to me and took my hand, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket but I didn't want to try check it. Whoever it was could wait.

"OK Miss, I want you to pull up your shirt as far as your diaphragm and then put this tissue under your shirt to protect it and I'll get the gel." His voice was soft but for me, slightly irritating. I lifted up my shirt and put the tissue on the rim of it and Doctor Richter slid over on a stool and squeezed a bottle of petroleum gel onto my stomach and I gasped, it was really damn cold. They both chuckled and I'm sure my face was a little pink.

"Just relax." Jack smiled and I nodded. The doctor placed the small remote on my stomach moving it around to rub in the gel and to pick up a picture. He tuned the tv so we could see it.

"You're about three months along now, so I want you to come back again in four weeks and we'll have a check up. But.. Oh, there's the baby's heart beat," He smiled, and put down the scan and pointed to various points on the screen, "The heart beat is strong for how far along you are so that's a really good aspect. This, this is the baby. It's a little too early to get proper features shown because you're just moving off two months to three but in about four to five weeks some feaatures will be more visable.
Now, I'll print out a few shots and you can clean up." He smiled at us, moving to the other side of the room where was a little printer and with the tissue on my top I rubbed over my stomach to clean off the green gel. I threw it in the bin and sat up, my legs dangled off the bed.

I looked at Jack who has his chin in his hand and he was staring at the monitor, his eyes were slightly foggy.

"Are you crying?" I smiled and tapped his knee with my foot. He remained quiet until the doctor came over to give us an appointment card and the pictures. We said our thanks and left, heading to Jack's car in the carpark.
I sat on the trunk of the car as he leaned against it, looking over the pictures for about the fiftieth time.

"This is so amazing." He breathed and ran his thumb over one of the pictures, smiling ear to ear. That made me smile. I ran a hand through my hair, making a mental note to get it cut.

"Since there's five of them, take two. One for you and your mom and dad." I licked my lips and Jack moved so he was placed between my legs, I leaned down to kiss him. I placed a hand on his cheek when he pulled away and I ran my thumb over his soft skin.
I'm oddly looking a little forward to this more than I was before.

~*~


I walked into my house, it was almost dusk. Jack had me go to his house for dinner so that's why I was back so late.

"Mom!" I yelled when I walked in, shedding off my jacket and walking to the kitchen. No one answered so I guessed my mom was still at work. I sighed and took a photo from the Ultrasound from my back pocket and stuck it to the fridge with a magnet along with a note.

I decided to go my room to finish off some homework before school tomorrow and then sleep, because nothing more can really happen.
I made a promise to send an email to my friend from back home, Ciara. I haven't talked to her in a few weeks so it was the best that I could do, I mean, me and her were practically glued at the hip.

I was dreading school tomorrow, I knew it was a matter of time before all of this got out.