Status: Coming Soon!

Stop Standing There

Skylar

We weren't talking, and for some reason I hated it. I liked his attention, I liked having someone care about me, I guess I'm just starting to realize it now. Maybe we're really not meant for each other.

I watched Sarah and Max all day, and the subtle glances, the smiles, I knew something had happened.

"What happened?" I asked her as we grabbed our coats at the end of the day.

"What do you mean?" she replied innocently.

"Between you and Max!" I said, "Something definitely happened. You're eye contact was a tad obvious all day"

She just sighed and bit her lip, "Uh, he might have kissed me"

"WHAT!? And you didn't feel the need to tell me that!" I replied gently smacking her arm.

"I just didn't want to...brag..."

"Seriously, I'm happy for you! I wouldn't ruin that by letting my own shit get in the way. It's about time" I smirked.

She looked over my shoulder, without a word and her expression changed, "What?" I turned around and saw Chris, and I took a deep breath and turned to face her again, "Tell me he's not standing there"

"He's not standing there"

"But he is!"

"You told me to say he wasn't" she shrugged, "I'm sorry, but talk to him please, I don't know if I can handle your moping anymore"

"Thanks for telling me" I huffed.

"He's crazy about you, just please let him be, because you deserve it"

I turned back around again, cleared my throat and took another deep breath, walking over to him, "Hi..."

"I need to ask you something"

"Uh, sure"

"Come out with me tonight. Dinner."

"Seriously? You're asking me out?"

"Yes..." he started to look a little nervous, and I felt bad for questioning him.

"Alright" I replied, "Pick me up at seven?"

And for the first time in a while, he smiled and I immediately felt my entire body melt, and I felt completely relaxed, like I had nothing to worry about, and maybe I didn't.

--

"Don't tell me you can't figure out something to wear" Sarah asked, watching me try on my fifth outfit.

"Why the hell am I so nervous?"

She just laughed, "Because you're in love" she let the o go long and I smacked her, "Don't even joke about that Sarah, seriously I just--" there was a knock on the door and my eyes widened, "It's seven already!?"

"Seems so" she said pointing at the clock.

"Since when is he ever on time!?"

"Because he's probably just as nervous, and can't wait to see you"

"Seriously, stop with the sappiness please" I huffed, "Go open the door, stall him, give me ten minutes, please"

She just shook her head and sighed, "Blue floral dress, brown belt, brown boots, and denim jacket, leave your hair down and please put on some blush so you don't look like a ghost"

I stared at her for a moment and then looked at my closet, "Oh"

"Yes, I'm going now" she left the room quickly and I heard his voice in the other room, and I immediately got more nervous.

I did as Sarah said, and took a quick look in the mirror, and the longer I looked at myself, the more nervous I got. I heard footsteps behind me and turned to face Sarah, "What if he thinks I look terrible?"

"Since when do you care what he thinks?"

"I don't know" I said looking in the mirror again, "I never dress up"

"And you look beautiful Sky. He practically loves you already, this won't change anything"

"Thank you"

"Now go see him, he's a nervous wreck" she just smiled and I replied back with the same gesture, taking a deep breath.

I stepped into the room, and he was sitting on the couch, with his head in his hands, quietly talking to himself.

"Don't tell me you talk to yourself. You're not insane are you?"

He stood up quickly and looked at me for a moment, eyes wide. He's never seen me dressed up before, then again, the only thing I see him in is his game day suit and whatever he wears to practice. He was wearing a black dress shirt and dark jeans, and I think I was even more attracted to him then I ever have been.

"You look great" I said trying to break the silence.

"You look incredible" he said, "I've never seen you--"

"Outside of canucks gear? I know"

The corner of his lips turned into a smile and he just nodded, "Uh, we should go, we'll be late"

"Have fun you lovebirds" Sarah said opening the door for us with a smile.

"Trying to get rid of me?" I asked.

"Maybe..." she said avoiding eye contact.

"Have fun" I replied, shutting the door behind me.

He stayed quiet, walking down the hall beside me, and I ran through my head something to say, but nothing was coming out of my mouth.

"So uh, where are we eating?"

Best you could come up with Sky?

"Uh, it's a small Italian place, a few blocks away"

"Sounds expensive"

"You deserve it"

I felt my cheeks flush, and it was hard for him to not notice.

"You don't get compliments often, do you?"

"No one has liked me for me" I shrugged, "It was always to--nevermind" I couldn't tell him, he'd just end up like the rest of them. He has his money, so he won't need mine, and he'll be gone.

"What?"

"It's nothing" I said. We stepped outside and I saw the gold arches across the road, "I don't want Italian" I told him.

"What do you want then?"

I pointed to the McDonald's and he just shook his head, "Tell me that's a joke, you know I can't be eating that stuff"

"Well then, you know you won't run into anyone here, plus, you can't ruin these arms" I said grabbing onto one of them, "It'll be fun, and alot less expensive"

Before he could object I dragged him across the street. He stopped in front of the building and I just sighed, "One night Chris, plus, it's empty right now" I pulled him a little harder this time and he finally caved.

We sat across from each other, but stayed silent. I liked this, I didn't need a fancy restaurant, I just needed to be with him.

"Not so bad is it?" I asked.

"It's perfect" he smiled, stealing one of my fries in the process.

"Rude"

He laughed this time and I bit my lip nervously, looking down at my hands this time, "I like this. I like being with you"

"I like being with you too"

"Come here" I leaned across the table and he did the same. I pressed my lips against his and everything about this entire moment felt perfect, "This feels right"

He just nodded, "It feels perfect"

I sat back and felt my phone vibrate in my pocket, I pulled it out, thinking it was unimportant, ready to hit ignore when I saw the name flashing on it.

He saw my expression change and I shook my head in disbelief, "Sky, who is it?"

"It's my brother..."