Status: Coming Soon!

Stop Standing There

Skylar

I started pacing the apartment, running the words through my head again. It didn't make any sense to me. He was always amazing to us, treated us like princesses, made me feel like a second daughter. We told each other everything, why did she leave this out?

I heard an incessant buzzing noise in my kitchen as I laid across my bed, and eventually clued in that it was my phone. I slowly walked into the kitchen and looked at the missed call, Chris.

I wasn't in the mood, so I didn't call him back. But about five minutes later, he tried again. I guess if I answer, he'll leave me alone.

"What?" I answered.

"A simple hello would be nice"

I just sighed, "Not the time, what do you want?"

"I want to take you out" he replied. I just sighed and sat down where I had previously just fought with my cousin. My best friend.

"I can't go out right now. I just--I want to stay in"

"I just want to see you..." his voice almost sounded desperate. A part of me wanted to just hang up, but the other part wanted to see him too. I couldn't tell him that though.

"Fine, I could use the company I guess"

"Are you okay?"

"I'll see you soon" I hung up before he could say anything else, and before I started rambling on about my issues.

About half an hour later, there was a knock on my door, and I quickly realized I hadn't changed. Normally when company came over, I tried to dress normally outside of sweats and an oversized hoodie, but these were my comfort clothes. Especially when I was upset.

I swung the door open, and he stood there in jeans and a grey hoodie, but not those big bulky ones, it fit him perfectly, slightly showing off his arms. He didn't shave today, you could tell, but the scruff looked good on him. And his eyes were blue, they were more noticeable today, I didn't notice they were blue.

Suddenly I regret not changing out of these clothes.

"Are you going to say anything?" he asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"Oh, yah, sorry"

"You look terrible..."

"Uh, thanks?"

"Not like that, I mean--you just look--"

I just laughed and shook my head, "I get it. I look terrible in every way anyways"

"You don't"

I just sighed and flopped back down on the couch, he looked around, like he felt out of place. Finally he looked at me and just sat down beside me.

"Seriously" he said poking my stomach, "Is Sky in there?"

"Chris, this is not the time"

He poked me again, "But you're not smiling yet" he smirked.

"Chris, I'm serious"

He squeezed my side this time and I jumped, letting out a squeal. He just laughed and I smiled a bit, but it faded quickly.

"You are really upset, aren't you?"

I just nodded, and a couple tears fell. I could sense his concern, when he reached over, but I pulled away from him, "I'm sorry" I said quietly, "We just got into a huge fight, and she's never left before...it's bad"

"What happened?"

"If you didn't know" I began, wiping my eyes again, "We're cousins. And our dads own a business together. My dad's a jerk, simple as that. Since my mother left it's gotten worse, and he could care less about my brother and me. So when I went over to Sarah's, her dad was amazing, he treated me like another daughter. I thought he was different than my dad. He called Sarah today, and I guess it's been a while since they talked, and she told me everything. How he's treated her, and her family while I'm not around. I don't get it. I don't get why she didn't tell me this before"

"She's probably as ashamed as you are. And probably didn't want to hurt you"

"She knows me better than that"

He just shrugged, "No matter what, your family is your family, and I know she still loves him. She's probably looking for some attention from him more than anything, and she just wants to hear he loves her, and she was hoping he could change before you would even know the difference..."

"I suppose"

"I mean, all you're looking for from your dad is a bit of attention ...right?"

I jerked my head around and widened my eyes, "I got over that a long time ago. Trust me, that man is not a part of my life anymore"

He put his hands up in defense and sat back, "Sorry, hit a nerve"

"My family is not a good topic of conversation, you don't want to know about them"

"But I want to know about you"

"You don't need to know about my family" I said, "They're just...not a part of me anymore"

"Okay, let me know you then"

I bit my lip and looked around for a minute, as if I was thinking about something to do. Which I kind of was.

"Can you cook?" I asked looking over at him.

"Um, a little"

"What's a little?"

"KD?"

I just laughed and nodded, "I can do KD"

I grabbed my iPod dock from my room, and put it on shuffle. While he was starting the food, the Jonas Brothers came on, SOS, and I can't not dance to this song.

"What song is this?" he asked.

"The Jonas Brothers" I laughed, "Guilty pleasure". He saw the mischievous smirk on my face and I don't think he was prepared for what was coming next, "This is an SOS, don't wanna second guess, this is the bottom line it's true" I grabbed a fork and turned it upside down, using it as a mic, "I gave my all for you, now my heart's in two and I can't find the other half, it's like I'm walking on broken glass, better believe I bled" I circled him and he just shook his head, smiling at the same time.

I stopped for a minute and coudln't stop laughing at the look on his face. He started laughing because I was laughing, and for a moment, I forgot about everything that was bothering me.

It stopped and we continued cooking, and chatting. And I felt normal, for the first time in a long time. My shuffle continued, and one of my favorite songs came on, We Belong Together by Gavin Degraw, it's not a fast song, but it always makes me stop and sing along.

He grabbed the plates of KD and set them on the table, it was silent while we both picked at our food.

"We belong together, like the open seas and shores, wedded by the planet force, we've all been spoken for..."

He set his fork down and stood up, putting his hand out.

"What?"

"Dance with me"

"Are you kidding me?"

"No"

"I don't dance"

He grabbed my hand and pulled me up, "You do tonight"

I quickly found myself melting into him with my arms around his neck. The song seemed to be slowly getting quieter, like I was tuning it out. All I could hear was his heartbeat, and then suddenly the sound of the door slamming, which caused me to pull away from him.

"Hey Sarah" he said as she stepped into the kitchen.

"Hi Chris" she kept her eyes on me, staring right through me, and I quickly averted mine to the floor.

"Maybe I should go" he said grabbing his plate.

"I'll get it Chris, don't worry about it"

"I'll see you guys later" he left quickly and Sarah just brushed past me, slamming her bedroom door shut.

For the rest of the night.