Home Sweet Royalty

Prologue

For many years, the Kingdom of Magnolia was ruled by a noble King and his beautiful Queen, who were loved throughout the land for their humble hearts and kind ways.
King Fidel and Queen Adelaide had no children of their own, and were therefore greatly saddened that they had no rightful heir to the throne. Reluctantly, they were forced to make an heir of their secretly sinister accomplice, Count Claudius.

Though greatly trusted by the King and Queen, Count Claudius was cruel, arrogant and power-hungry, and destined to become king as soon as possible, despite already being the next in line. Greedily, he devised a plan to murder the King and Queen, and assume his place as ruler sooner than planned.

One night, however, the Queen gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Eleanor, and all the kingdom rejoiced in the light of their new heir...all except Claudius, of course.

Enraged by the arrival of his unexpected replacement, Count Claudius set a goal to rid himself of the royal family once and for all, starting with the young princess.

The following midnight, Count Claudius and an army of royal rebels stormed the castle in hope of executing the royal family. While Claudius' followers searched the castle for the King and Queen, he made his way up to the princess' room. Once beside her crib, Claudius took out his sword and prepared to smite her, when Queen Adelaide herself snatched her daughter out of danger just in time.

Recognizing the count instantly, the Queen escaped to the front courtyard carrying the baby, where King Fidel awaited their arrival in a horse-drawn carriage.

As the royal family rode away as quickly as possible, they were pursued by Claudius and his army. As soon as they were beginning to think themselves safe, the King was forced to suddenly turn a sharp corner, and the royal family was thrown out of the carriage and sent plummeting into the rough water below.

Claudius and his men soon arrived, and saw no sign of the King, Queen, or princess, so they fled, assuming their targets dead. But then, out of the river, burst the King, who guided his wife and daughter onto dry land. The King and Queen gazed at each other lovingly, thinking everything okay. Queen Adelaide unwrapped the blanket she was carrying that held the princess, only to find that the princess was not there.

Eagerly, the King and Queen searched the water for their daughter, but to no avail.
With heavy hearts, King Fidel and Queen Adelaide eventually returned to the castle to find it in complete disarray.  They immediately sent their soldiers out to find Claudius in search of revenge, but upon hearing the news of the royals’ return, he had fled to a secluded fortress outside of Magnolia, and was never seen again. 

As for the princess, the King and Queen searched many days and nights, but never found her, and gradually resumed their roles as King and Queen of Magnolia.  Although all seemed well, the royal couple, their faithful servants, and the entire kingdom forever grieved the loss of not only their last heir, but more importantly, a beloved daughter. 
♠ ♠ ♠
The idea for this story came to me while I was watching an episode of "The Suite Life On Deck". Don't ask me how an idea for a royal tragedy was derived from a teen-sitcom, because frankly, I don't have a clue.