‹ Prequel: Passion

Written in the Stars

She could care less about love, he's just another one

Of course not everything good lasted forever, within the few short weeks I’ve had angry phone calls from Luke and Oliver and what hurt the most was hearing absolutely nothing from Carter. I guess they’re right when they say silence hurts more than words. Though living with Alex has been amazing, it’s nice to have my own place. What was keeping me threw these past few weeks though was the drive of my passion, baseball.

It was my favorite time of year, red clay and ice packs season. Our first game against the Cardinals was in two weeks and coach had us practicing like dogs, not like I mind. It was a perfect distracter from reality.

“Hey are you heading to practice?” Alex popped her head into my room, I blinked out of confusion still lost in my thoughts.

“Uh?—oh yea I am, just about to leave actually. Need anything while I’m out?” I asked lacing up my cleats and grabbing my bag.

“Nah, I was just wondering.” She smiled and headed back into her room. I picked up my keys and my cell phone and hopped into my silver jeep.

***


I arrived thirty minutes before practice started, because I’ve been late before and I swear that experience is never happening again. Now I am always the first one at practice, trust me after you’ve ran until your coach has puked you will never be late to anything every again. I pulled my batting bag out of my car, making sure to lock it and head into the stadium. “Nice to see you early Cam,” Coach Tim chuckled and I just playfully glared.

I put my bag on the bench and began to stretch my legs and arms. “Lookin’ good Cam!” Trent woof whistled and winked at me. I raised my hand and gave him the bird chuckling. One thing I learned from being around these boys is that you can never take them too seriously. For a bunch of grown-ups there like five year-olds. “Now come on darlin’ that ain’t no way to be treatin’ your teammates.” The southern drawl I imminently recognized as Phil boomed threw out the dugout.

“Nobody asked for your opinion Phil,” I joked grabbing my glove and walking out to the field. Once everybody arrived and stretched out properly, Coach had us all gather around the pitching mound.

“As you all know we have a game coming up against the St Louis Cardinals, and we are very lucky to have our first game also be a home game.” He paused while the guys cheered. “But that does not guarantee a win for us, we have to work extra hard and push ourselves like I know the Cardinal boys will be doing. Team work on three, one-two-three!”

“Team work!” We shouted before taking our respectable positions. I jogged to the pitchers mound, were I normally practice.

“Cam,” I turned to my left to see Coach waving me over. I sighed and jogged over there.

“Yes coach?”

“Russell is out for the next three weeks I need you to cover third base for us,” He spit out his mouth full of tobacco, a really bad habit everyone on this team seems to have.

“Yes coach,” I nodded before running back out to the field.

Practice was fairly easy; the outfielders had it harder then us infielders. They were running all over the grass, sliding and diving. Third base was an easy base for me, for the balls that were too far to my left the short stop got and the balls I could get there were only two other places to throw it, first or second. I hardly needed to cover my bag because all of our runners were getting out before they even got to second base.

We had a short practice today, only three hours. We got out at six o’clock, and it was decided that we would all go to the local bar and get some drinks and some burgers. The drive there was short and before long we were all scattered around one big table laughing and stealing each others food.

“Hey Luke can I talk to you?” I asked interrupting his conversation with Ivan one of our right fielders.

He looked uncomfortable but nodded nonetheless, “I’ll catch up with you later man.” He gave Ivan one of those bro hug things that we females will never understand. He stood up and walked outside, I followed after him.

He started to speak before I interrupted him, “Before you speak let me say something first.” He looked shocked that for once I stood up for myself.

“Go ahead.”

“I didn’t move out because I hated you or your house or even Carter. I mean yeah some of my decision making was based on mine and Carter’s actions but that is not the sole reason. Luke you’ve got to understand that I am a grown woman, not the same fifteen year old that needed guidance. Most of all I needed my own space, that I paid for and that I’m responsible for.” I took a deep breath, searching Luke’s face for any hint about how he felt.

He didn’t say anything, he just smirked at me. “What?” I asked annoyed, he just shook his head and laughed collecting me into a bone crushing hug.

“You’ve finally grown up! I am so proud of you Cammy!” He spun me around a few more times before putting me down.

“So you’re not mad at me?” I asked skeptically.

He smiled, “Nope, not one bit, though I am disappointed that you had sex with Carter and then left without saying anything.”

I opened my mouth shocked that Carter would tell him something so personal. “He told you?”

“Pst! It wasn’t hard to figure out; he came over with a sad face, sex hair and told us that you left. Believe it or not but that boy has it bad for you, always have and always will.”

I looked down with shame, “I’m sorry.” I told him unsure of what else to say.

Luke lifted my chin up, “I’m not the one that needs to be apologized to.” He gave me one more hug before walking back into the pub.

***


I knocked on the massive door, shifting my weight between my feet nervously. The door was yanked open to expose a half-asleep Oliver. He looked annoyed until his eyes landed on my face; I hadn’t realized until then that I had been crying. He wrapped his arms around my waist bring me closer to him. “What’s wrong sweetheart?” He asked as soon as I was in his house with the door shut behind us.

I opened my mouth but no words came out. Truthfully I was over here to tell Oliver the truth about all my infidelities, and to break up with him. I couldn’t continue hurting him and pretending that I love him. But I couldn’t bring myself to say any of those words all I could squeak out was ‘I’m sorry.’

“Baby its okay I forgive you for making me look like a fool in front of my parents. It’s my fault I put too much pressure on you.” I shook my head upset that he would bring that into this but I didn’t correct him. I didn’t want to correct him; I wanted him to be wrong, not me. I just cuddled closer into him.

“Cam?” He asked making me look up at him.

“Yes?”

“I love you,” He whispered kissing me on the lips. I could feel my heart breaking because as our kiss deepened I led this wonderful person on. I led him closer to the edge of the cliff were I had no intention of catching of him when he fell. So I did what I thought was best, I kissed him back with more urgency to feel something; because if I felt something more than maybe just maybe I could fall for him too.

He removed my shirt and I took off his pants, soon we were both naked in his bed; and I still felt nothing but guilt. But nothing stopped me; I continued to make one of the worst mistakes in my life. I let Oliver fall from the cliff, and in the morning he would realized that I wasn’t going to be there to catch him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tittle credit goes to Rocket to the Moon

This is MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE chapter so far, UGH I just love it so much <3 I wanted to post sooner but I just ran out of time. So PLEASE comment and say hi or something so I know that I know that at least someone is still reading this story.

Honestly I love you guys so much, you have no idea. So STAY BEAUTIFUL!