‹ Prequel: Passion

Written in the Stars

Life is like ice-cream, enjoy it before it melts

Today was the day; the day that I have been waiting for since I was just a little girl, my first MLB practice. I was more than ecstatic for this practice; I mean I have only been waiting for this since I was 5. I got changed into a gray pair of baseball pants, a long pair of blue socks and my training shirt. I put my hair up into a pony tail and I put on my dodgers baseball hat and walked downstairs.

“Sup whore?” Carter snarled from the living room, but not even Carter would ruin my mood.

I continued to smile as I walked over to him and ruffled his hair, “you look nice today.” I skipped into the kitchen and started to make some eggs while humming a random tune.

“Carter, would you like bacon or sausage?” I asked while heating up another burner on the stove.

“Uh, bacon?” Carter said unsure as he made his way into the kitchen. I nodded taking out the bacon from the refrigerator and put them on the skillet. Once everything was cooked I placed a heaping full on everybody’s plate. “Cam I’m going to ask you a question and I need you to answer it seriously, did you take any pills this morning and, or smoke something?”

I giggled and shook my head no, “I did not.”

“Okay then why are you so happy?”

“First practice, dip shit!” Luke’s voice was heard around the whole house as he finally made an appearance.

“Ah, so that’s why she is being nice.” Carter nodded his head and continued eating, “hope she’s still like this tomorrow.”

“Not likely,” I smiled and took a bite out of my bacon.

*


“You ready to kick some ass?” Trent asked me as we started stretching around the field.

“Oh fuck yes,” I nodded my head excitedly.

“Guys and lady circle around,” Coach yelled making the team huddle around him. “I need my outfielders: Andre, Tony, Matt, Trent and Juan to line up with Coach Mike to start warm up.” The players called ran over to a tall man with a five o’clock shadow standing in left field. “I need my infielders, Jamey, James, Rafael, Aaron, Juan, and Eugenio to go to Coach Rob and start there warm up.” The players again ran over to a short, pudgy man standing at home plate. It only left a few of us still standing around Coach Rick. “Now for my pitchers and catchers, Cam and Lucas you can warm up together, Chad and Rod as always warm up and then I need Hiroki and Dioner to warm up. Ted, Rubby, and Scott you guys can work on your infield until these pitchers are warmed up.” With that the three remaining boys left to go to infield warm-up and that left the six of us to hustle off to the pitching cages.

I slowly let my arm warm-up, something I was taught by my dad, one of the only things. Unlike the other boys who seemed to be hurrying into there warm-ups, I learned that starting off slow not only helped you last longer pitching but it also helped you prevent throwing your arm out. I’ve only throw my arm out once, a game against our college rivals, the gators. It hurt so bad, I was out for the whole junior year; they thought I would never pitch again. Luckily for me, I made a full recovery.

I zoned back into my pitching, starting to add a little heat into my throws, making Luke stop every few minutes to rub his hands. “I think your warmed Cam,” Luke muttered taking off his glove for which seemed like the hundredth time.

“Your right, water break?” I asked after noticing how thirsty I was. The best thing about the first few weeks of practices is that you worked on what you thought you needed to do. If you needed to work on hitting, you went to the batting cages. If you needed to work on your pop-flys you went into the out field. If your running wasn’t fast enough you ran bases, you weren’t on a schedule that everyone followed, you did your own thing and you worked out your flaws.

“What are you going to work on next?” Luke asked taking a big gulp of his water.

I shrugged my shoulders taking my own sip of water, “probably infield and then I will hit the weight room.” Luke nodded before heading out to the batting cages. I took one more sip of my water before heading over to the infield station.

“You know, we don’t usually get pitchers working on infield. Normally they like to just pitched and work out in the weight room.” The guy from my right told me, looking at me like I was from another galaxy.

“And normally you don’t have female baseball players, but as you can see I like shaking things up.” I smiled at the dumb-founded player.

“I think it’s pretty cool,” he spoke up after a few minutes of silence.

“Excuse me?” I asked confused.

“That you’re proving everyone wrong, that girls can play a sport that’s dominated by men and well kick ass in it. I think that what you’re doing is brave, and pretty hot.” We both started laughing at his last few choices in words.

“Thanks, it’s nice to hear that I have some support.” I smiled and he again just looked at me weirdly.

“If you think that was nice, you should go check out your fan page,” the guy whose name I didn’t catch left and jogged off the field and while I would miss his company I couldn’t help but wonder, I have a fan page.

*


“Look at this one Luke!” I yelled pointing to the screen.

Camille Henderson is my idol, I come from a small town in North Dakota and I wanted to try out for boy’s soccer, since my school didn’t have a soccer team. I was good enough to make it on the team but I was shunned, my friends didn’t want anything to do with me, I was teased on a daily bases and I was so close to quitting but after hearing Cams story I was inspired to keep going. I made it all the way to Yale on a soccer scholarship. Thank you Cam for giving me hope.

I let a tear slip down my face; I was shocked and so very proud. “Do I really have this much of an impact of peoples lives?” I asked more to myself seeing as that everyone had left the room, or so I thought.

“People look up to you; you did something no one thought was possible. You beat the odds and ended up on top.” Carter walked into the room and took a seat next to you. “You may think there are only people out there to bring you down, but there are so many people out there cheering you on.” I smiled and cuddled into Carters chest as we continued to read and respond to my ‘fan mail’ as Carter put it.

“Thank you for always believing in me and my dreams.” I smiled looking up to him.

“Cam I need to tell you something very important,” Carter told me and I sat up straighter.

“Yes?” Just when Carter was about to answer the door bell rang, I looked back at Carter giving him an apologetic smile, “one second.” I told him holding up one finger, he sighed and I went up and answered the door wondering who it was. I opened the door and there stood a very attractive male wearing a suit and he had the most beautiful blue eyes ever, well minus Carters. They looked very similar to Carter’s eyes though.

“Hi can I help you?” I smiled at the cute stranger.

“I sure hope so; I’m looking for my brother, Carter.” The breath was sucked out of my body.

“Derek?” I asked not believing who was standing in front of me.

“Nice to see you to Cam.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I have updated in awhile, writters block is a bitch.

I want to dedicate this chapter to nerdyninja1000. Not only did her comment help encourage me to write this chapter, but she also made this really cool set. So thank you very much (: it made my week month!

Thank you all for staying with the story and continuing to read it (:
Stay beautiful!