Status: Updated once a week or after every two comments <3

The Things We Do

Amor Animi Arbitrio Sumitur, Non Ponitur

The wonderful thing about Adam was that he was always there. There were no mysterious disappearances or whispered promises, no broken promises. He didn't want anything from Tamar Grace and he loved her more than she could have ever hoped of any human, honest to God.

Tamar remembered the day she met him quite well. It was a sunny and warm spring day as one might very well assume. She and her friends were sitting on a park bench as best as they could with Tamar sitting daintily on Charlotte's lap and Basil leaning towards Carol who sat at the opposite end and Pamela sitting on the back of the seat with her legs crossed at her pale ankles and holding on to the back of the green bench.

They were teasing Charlotte, whose cheeks were a rosy pink, about her new beau. Charlotte hid her face as best she could but giggled along with the rest of them. Just as Basil began to change the topic however, Carol began to laugh that very high-pitched laugh of hers.

We all stopped and stared at her. Carol rarely burst into such hysterical laughter; she was always the one who said that our immature antics would not land them a husband. So they watched as she attempted to indicate the source of her amusement. Finally she did. A group of very handsome young men were standing not too far from them, smoking their cigarettes and checking them out. Tamar caught Adam's eye almost immediately and he smiled shyly at her.

Unlike the other guys in the group he was modest and quiet and shy. He was looking for a nice girl to settle down with and she was looking for the love of her life to sweep her off her feet. It is true she had already met that someone, and it is true that Adam was not him but she felt that Adam just might be the perfect come back. Why shouldn't she be just as happy with him as with anyone else? She would be happy and so she encouraged his advances as slow as they were and pretty soon they were going steady.

Thankfully, she did fall in love with him. Well, she thought she fell in love with him. She was never exactly sure but he was amazing. She was grateful for the fact that he was not anything like her first love and she constantly thanked the Lord that her first beau left her and that Adam came at just the right moment. They always say that God works in mysterious ways and she knew for a fact that was true.

About a year after they met she became Mrs. Tamar Grace. It was probably the best moment of the 20 years she'd been alive. After the ceremony and the reception the newlyweds left the city and went to Adam's family vacation home in Ocean City, Maryland. It was nothing fancy but it felt like paradise when the sun set allowing the sea to disappear. The only reminder of it was the sound of waves breaking not too far away.

~*~


"Tammy, what are you doing in there?" Adam asked through the bathroom door. I was sitting at the vanity with a powder brush in my hand. I had been sitting there for several seconds staring at the mirror in disbelief. Had I really just seen...? Adam's voice brought me back to reality and I blinked. Whatever I had seen was gone.

"Just putting on my make-up," I called. My voice sounded weak even to myself. It quavered and broke as a tear finally slid down my cheek. Why hadn't it been real? I would have given the world for it to be real.

"Make-up? You look perfect without make-up my lady love," he called back.

I really wish he wouldn't call me that but I didn't have the nerve to tell him that it was what the only man to ever break my heart called me. But I did what I always did during these times I covered the whole situation up with a cheerful laugh and snapped my powder jar shut. Of course, while I succeeded in fooling Adam, I could never convince myself that the laugh was sincere. No, I knew it wasn't that it would never be.

I sighed softly and turned around. As I turned I caught a glimpse of something that had not been under the dim lamp light a few minutes earlier. It was a letter neatly folded in half and placed partially open against the lamp. I walked towards it and recognized the flowing script almost immediately. When? Why? Why hadn't...?

My Lady Love,
Congratulations on your marriage. I am so glad that you found love. I was afraid that I had somehow wanted to wish you a blissful marriage in person but I thought it would be better that I just leave you a message. This may not be the brightest of ideas but I feel that I do owe you an explanation of some sort.

You brought light into my world, Tamar. You bring light into everyone's world but especially into mine and I needed it the most. I had lost touch with my humanity and for a long time I thought that part of the curse of being a monster was that I was incapable of loving anyone. You proved me wrong and you have allowed me to hope that someday all of what I once was will come back. I owe my life to you and I love you appreciate what you have done for me.

For all of this I will never forget you. I hope to see you again and I hope that when we do meet, you will still be just as happy as you always have been.
My Sincerest Regards,
Godric Marduk


So with this new piece of addition to my memory I dried off my tears and put on a smile. When I finally opened the door Adam was standing there ready for me and our first night as a married couple.

But all through the night I wished it was someone else holding me. God have mercy on my soul, I was in love with someone other than my husband.