Status: A work in progress.

Acerbus

Chapter 2 Strange desolation

I sat a little while longer fighting back the tears that wanted to stream down my face, but I would not cry in front of this person.

“You should walk with me.” He said after a long moment.

“And why in the hell should I do that?” I asked. Struggling to keep my emotions in check.

“Because I can teach you to avenge your parents death.” He said.

“Who says I want revenge?”

“Why you do of course. I can tell you are extremely angered by this news, and I believe you are a good candidate but you have to clear your mind right now and listen to what I have to say. It will be difficult for you to accept.”

“Why would I listen to anything you or anyone has to say?”

He got up and started walking slowly away. “Remember, I can offer you something truly out of this world.”

I sat there a part of me screamed for me to follow him, a part of me seemed to understand him. I figured it would be best if I did.

I caught up with him. “Alright, I'll listen to your bull shit. I highly doubt what you have to say to me is important.”

“But I think it does.” He said with a hint of amusement. “What I have to say will change your world forever.”

I laughed. “Your full of shit.”

“Just wait, by the end of the day you'll thank me.”

We were heading toward a secluded part of town.

“Speak whatever your are going to say.” I told him. “I'm tired of waiting around, if your not going to say something interesting or tell me how my parents died then I don't want to talk to you.”

“Do you believe in the dark?” He said.

“What the hell kind of question is that?” I said to him.

“There's darkness in you. It wants to be used, be controlled.”

“What are you talking about? You are truly messed up. I think it's time for me to go.”

He raised his hand, A window shattered on a empty building across the street.

“Was that some kind of trick?” I asked. “Set it up just so you can make me believe you?”
“No, If you want I can use it on you as well.”

“What you're going to make me shatter?” I asked. “By all means go ahead.”

He raised his hand toward me and suddenly I fell over, my body was in pain I felt as if I was going to explode. “If you want the pain to stop, close your eyes and focus on the darkness in you.”

I yelled out. “Make it stop!” I felt as if I was going to burst. Suddenly everything seemed to bright, I closed my eyes. I felt something inside me, something mysterious, something dark.

A voice in my head seemed to whisper to me, soothing me, telling me that everything will be all right if I just tell him to make it so.

I focused on this voice, listening to everything it had to say, as I focused more in it I realized that the pain seemed to lessen.

As I continued to focus in, it seemed to whisper, I could tell it was talking about the day that it first met me.

“Get up boy.” Someone said.

I focused on the voice, ignoring anything outside of me. I wanted to know more, learn why it chose to curse me out of all people.

Suddenly I was grabbed and stood up, I opened my eyes to be staring into the hood of the dark man. It amazed me that even this close, I could not make out a face.

“What the hell do you want?” I asked. “I was busy.”

“You will learn more about the dark soon enough, first I believe I will take you to someone special.”

He let go of me and I let out a sigh, I couldn’t help but feel different somehow. I had no idea what changed in me but deep down I felt an understanding.

“Are you ready?”

“What are you going to do?” I asked.

“You are going to take my hand, and we will travel to another location.”

“Alright, I think you are going a little overboard here.” I told him.

I'm sure if I could see his face he would have been smiling.

He grabbed my hand and suddenly everything went dark.

It took me a while to realize that we were actually in another place. I could see a bright light ahead of me illuminating a giant hallway.

I started walked toward it and stepped out into the light. Then as I looked to the left of me I saw a giant door, it seemed somehow intimidating as if beckoning me to open it and see what is inside.

To my right there was a path that lead up to a podium and beyond I could see a platform it seemed only a few people were able to stand upon it. Also there seemed to be an altar even beyond that.

The dark man who brought me here stepped into the light, and headed toward the altar. As he moved he seemed different now, no longer beaten but rather strengthened.

I followed him and as I walked down toward the altar I found myself somehow changing, I felt stronger and more alive. I could barley contain myself.

“Stop!” Someone yelled, the voice echoing out.

I froze in my tracks but the dark figure who brought me here continued walking and stopped in front of the podium.

Another dark figure came out from behind the altar, he moved rather slow and carried a cane.

“Speak of you're report Braeden.” He said.

As he was about to speak, another figure clad in a dark attire stepped out of the shadows, revealing her face, she was female. Her face was very pale, she could have passed for being dead. Although there was something about her I could not place, her face seemed to radiate a light, or was it my mind playing tricks on me?

She stood next to me winking at me, and smiled.

“The activity level has risen, I fear they are planning something.” Braeden said. His voice no longer hoarse but rather smooth and clear.

“And of the mansion?” The elderly figure replied.

“It's full of minor activity. With your permission I could probably tear everyone and everything in the house apart easily. It seems like that's where there housing the trainee's.”

“All in due time.” He said. “Selena, please come forward.”

The women moved forward, her movement seemed graceful and every stride perfect. She stopped next to Braeden.

“What do you have to report? Is she able?”

“Yes.” Selena replied. “She is already underway. Everything is going according to plan.”

I stood back listening, having absolutely no idea what was going on, but for some reason I felt like I belonged.

“Step forward.” The elderly figured said pointing a figure at me.

I quickly obeyed walking forward, trying not to act to eager but with every step I felt like my strength was increasing, and everything seemed so right.

“How do you feel boy?” He asked as I stood before him.

“Amazing.” Was all I could bring myself to say.

“Good then you are ready if you so choose to be.”

“You sure that is wise?” Braeden asked.

“He will learn soon enough of whats out there. What is your name boy?”

“Michael.” I told him.

“Well Michael would you like to control the strength and the power you are feeling right now?”

I thought for a moment and wondered what more I could learn from these people. I nodded my head.

“Wait a minute.” Braeden said.

“Be quiet.” The elderly figure said.

“Now listen closely boy and listen well I am going to offer you a book, if you choose to accept this book your world will change forever. You will be forever thrown into a world of darkness and chaos but you will be able to fight to make a difference in the world. Or if you so choose you can return to the world never know what you would be capable of and you can try and rebuild your life. The choice is yours.”

I stared at the book with the odd symbols on the color. It was gray and seemed to radiate power from it. I sighed thinking about what I was getting myself into. Closing my eyes I decided to focus on the voice in my head, asking it to make the choice for me.