Status: A work in progress.

Acerbus

Chapter 3 Theres no place like home.

As I opened the book that was given to me, I noticed there was no writing or words. They were all symbols.

“Just give it a minute and you'll understand.” The elder figure in a deep dark cloak said to me.

I stared at the symbols and suddenly the first one seemed to jump out at me, suddenly I understood what it meant, but I could not even pronounce such a world. As I read it the symbol seemed to glow brightly in my book and suddenly I felt power and knowledge.

The second symbol seemed to glow right after the first one and I to understood it and I read it with the same result. Suddenly I was engrossed in the book, trying to read as fast as I could.

“Slow down.” Braeden said to me. “You don't want to overdo it.”

I ignored him continuing to read, it felt awesome the surge of power and knowledge seemed to flow through me.

Suddenly the book closed shut, I stared stunned only to realize that Braeden had closed it on me.

“Slow down.” Braeden said.

“Why?” I asked.

“With such power you have to find a release, you must control it, if you let it control you then you will become reckless.”

I nodded understanding what he was saying.

“You are all dismissed.” The elderly figure said stepping away from the podium and heading toward the back.

“Follow me.” Braeden said.

We walked out of the light of the hall behind the pillars to where we seemed to appear the first time. Although this time I could see more clearly in the darkness.

“Take my hand.” Braeden said to me.

“Will I learn how to do this?” I asked.

“All in due time.” He replied.

We appeared in front of my home.

“Get settled, it's noon I know you may not feel hunger now but you need to eat. I will check on you from time to time until then continue reading also only read a chapter at a time, whatever you do don't finish the whole book tonight.” Braeden explained.

“Alright, I'll try not to.”
“Your not going to try, you're going to do it. I must depart now, I'll be back soon.”

I watched him vanish before my eyes. I really wanted to learn how to do that.

Sighing I walked back into my house, realizing it will be empty until they come take it away with no one to pay the bills.

Deciding it would be best to just make something simple for lunch, I could eat and head back out with my book to read outside.

As I entered my room I noticed a set of clothes sitting on my bed. I picked them up and realized that it nearly resembled Selena's strange dark outfit.

I put the clothes on and was surprised at how light they were. I also felt stronger, somehow I knew that the clothes allowed me to focus better.

I quickly devoured my lunch, realizing that I was in fact hungrier than I had first realized. I grabbed my book and quickly headed out.

The beach was crowded, I sighed heavily as I neared thinking that I would probably be distracted by most of the people.

I sat down on a bench far away from everyone else and opened my book, as I started reading everything seemed to fade away leaving only me and the symbols. Each one a different shape, each one glowing after I read and understood it.

As I finished the first page, the whole page began glowing and everything I read made sense, suddenly I felt stronger than before. I looked up and realized that the sun was setting, I found it odd that in all that time I only finished one page. I was not a slow reader and I realized that finishing this whole book in one sitting was impossible.

I heard someone approach me, I knew who it was immediately.

Three people approached me with the intention of humiliating me. It was routine for them, they go around picking on the outcasts. It seemed to make them feel superior. They try to get a rise out of me but so far I have been passive around them, eventually they get bored and move on.

“It's been a while.” One of them said as he stood in front of me.

“Yes, John it has. What brings you out to find me?”

“Why we want to talk to you of course.” He replied with a laugh.

“You'll get the same results as last time.” I told him.

“Will we? I think these results will be different.”

I said nothing more waiting for them to do whatever they planned to do.

“So hows your love life?” John asked with a cruel smile.

“Please don't.” I said to him.

“I hear shes extremely happy now that she got rid of you.”

I tried to ignore them, normally whatever insulting thing they had to say passed through me but they should know better than to attack someones heart.

John laughed. “Grab him, I think it's time someone is shown a lesson.”

The two others took hold of my arms, I let it drag out to see how far he was willing to go with this.

“So, any last words?” John said pulling out a knife.

“So when did you become a murderer?” I asked.

“Someone offered to pay a nice sum of money for your head.” He replied. “I could use an extra payday.”

“You don't know what your getting yourself into.” I told him.

“What are you going to do about it?”

I smiled as he asked the question. I pulled my arms forward throwing the other two off me and stepped forward grabbing John's hand.

He stared at me in shock.

“I would have let you off easy if you just kept your mouth shut.” I told him

Before he could say anything I punched him hard in the face knocking him out cold.

I turned to the other two who started running off.

With a smile I grabbed my book, I noticed there was a little latch attached to the top of it, and then looked down at my waist and noticed that there was a hook I could put it on.

Laughing to myself for not noticing it earlier I attached the book and started heading home.

As I started walking I felt someone watching me, I turned and looked down the beach. My heart leaped when I saw her, I could tell she saw the whole ordeal.

Sighing I forced myself to turn away and continued the trek home, wondering if I'll feel this way toward her for the rest of my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one is rather shorter, things will pick up next time I promise :)