Hush

Five

Sebastian spun Juliette around and dipped her slowly, bringing her back up. They stared into each other’s eyes momentarily, leaving Juliette in a daze. His eyes locked into hers and for a moment, neither of them said or did anything. Sebastian turned his head around allowing Juliette to breathe. She felt her face grow hot and flustered and looked down at her feet to calm herself down.
“Sorry, Ashlen needs me,” he said loosening his grip on Juliette’s hands and walking off, leaving her alone on the dance floor. She watched as he walked towards Ashlen and pulled her in for an embrace, just like he had that very same morning at the Coffee shop.
Perhaps our relationship wasn’t as special as I thought.

Michael appeared only seconds after, ushering her away from the dance floor. His own perfectly sculpted face was flustered, like her own, and he looked nervous.
“Sorry,” he mumbled. “Ashlen-”
Before he could finish anything, the DJ shouted something in the mic capturing everyone’s attention.
“Your very own has an announcement to make!” He passed the mic to Ashlen whose arm was linked to Sebastian’s. The flashing lights were turned off and the music stopped and the gasp-wave took over. Everyone spoke in hushed whispers before the building’s ceiling lights and chandeliers were turned on.
“He’s right,” Ashlen said moments after the DJ introduced her. “I do have an announcement to make.”
Get on with it, Juliette thought, suddenly getting very impatient. Ashlen tightened her grip on Sebastian’s arm and pulled him closer to her. The whispers began again: everyone suddenly intrigued with the announcement she was going to make. Michael stared at his own feet and averted his attention to the large window behind them.
“You all know Michael and I have broken up,” she smirked. The lights turned off and a single spot-light was placed on Juliette and Michael - the light so bright it was blinding, Juliette barely able to see. The large crowd of people diverted their attention to Juliette and Michael, cupping their hands to their mouths and whispering things into their friends’ ears. Ashlen tapped the mic twice to attract their attention again. “Ahem,” she coughed. “As I was saying, we’ve broken up - just to clear things up.” The crowd didn’t react much. The lights were turned on again and she began to talk again.
Well, that was awkward, Juliette thought. She shifted her weight from feet to feet. Something in her stomach told her that Ashlen had more to say. She was right.
“So the announcement I wanted to make was,” Ashlen continued, “this.” She wrapped her hand around Sebastian’s and held it up in the air, the crowd roaring and clapping, several “aww’s” from girls next to her. Ashlen turned to Sebastian, who looked confused but happy, and kissed him. Full on the lips. Juliette did nothing and clapped. Juliette sat down on the chair for about half an hour, not deep in thought or thinking about Ashlen and Sebastian - it was as blank as a mind could be.

Sure, she felt a little betrayed and somewhat sad, but she knew there was nothing more to their relationship. He was generally nice: not just to her - to everybody. Michael gently touched her shoulder.
“I should take you home,” Michael muttered. His voice was cold and grave. Juliette nodded and turned to look at her friend on the stage and squinted. She could swear he was looking directly at her.

He opened the car door for her and she sat inside the limo.
“To her house, Jeeves,” he chuckled. Juliette could tell his laughter was forced but she smiled. At least she was trying. The driver drove into the direction of the orphanage and Juliette wrapped herself up in the jacket more, only to remember it was Sebastian’s. As if he was reading her mind, Michael opened his mouth.
“Seba’s jacket?” She nodded. “Thought so. Anyway, sorry about tonight. We couldn’t spend as much time as I’d liked, but after that announcement,” he laughed to himself, “I wanted to get my sorry ass out of there as quickly as possible.” Juliette cocked her head and tilted Michael’s head up, forcing him to look her directly in the eye. She patted him in the shoulder. The car came to a gradual halt and pulled up on the orphanage’s driveway. Michael hastily exited the car just to walk to the other side to open Juliette’s door. Rouge and Andy were already standing outside, gesturing for the both of them to come in. Andy stood with his arms crossed and patted Juliette on the head.
“C’mon in,” he said to the both of them warmly.
“I’d love to,” Michael started, “but unfortunately I have to take my leave. It was fun while it lasted.” He hugged Juliette once more before going into the limo and driving off.
“That was fast,” Rouge mentioned the minute they got in. “Barely two hours.” Juliette walked upstairs, letting Rouge’s words linger in the air.

The second she got in, she shrugged off Sebastian’s jacket and her dress, throwing it on the bed. Keller was already asleep and Juliette put on her pyjamas before lying in bed. At the time, her mind was blank, but now as she thought about it, her mind raced with thoughts. Maybe she liked Sebastian, maybe she didn’t. Her thoughts were clouded and she herself couldn’t even understand what she was feeling. She pulled the duvet over her head and sighed. Maybe in the morning it would all clear up, she thought before falling asleep. It didn’t.

The sun’s rays peeked from Juliette’s curtains. She stood up and repeated the same old routine she’d been doing for years and grabbed her backpack, throwing in a the books she’d need for the day, not forgetting Sebastian’s jacket. She managed to stuff everything inside the bag without having it burst. She gave Rouge her morning kiss, took Keller’s toast from the toaster and munched it on the way out.
“Leaving?” Rouge inquired. Juliette answered with a salute. “How ‘bout I drive you today?” She offered. “Andy’s not going to school today, so I might as well save you the bus money.” Juliette nodded and grabbed the car keys on the table, handing them to Rouge.
The trip to school was quiet and awkward and not because Juliette couldn’t speak. Rouge did everything in her power to squeeze every detail of last night from Juliette but inevitably failed. With a sigh of defeat, Rouge pulled up on the curb of Bodley High school. Grabbing her school bag from the back of the car, she gave Rouge a kiss on the cheek before exiting the car.
“I can’t pick you up though, hon,” Rouge said. “Take the bus or something, love.” She slammed the door shut, pushed up her cheap sunglasses and drove off. Juliette pursed her lips and opened the doors to Bodley High.

As usual, she waved to the numerous students that waved to her. Michael was leaning on his locker in a leather jacket talking to some other jocks who seemed to be laughing at some joke. She didn’t even bother to wave but as she walked past, he noticed and nodded to her in acknowledgement. A smile crept up the corner of her mouth and she gave a slight nod too before walking to her own locker. She stuffed her Algebra book into her locker, only to find a paper falling out of it. Bending down to pick it up, Juliette remembered what was folded inside: the little doodle of her that Sebastian had made only days before. She stuffed it into her pocket and slammed the locker shut, her heart jumping when she saw Sebastian leaning on the locker next to hers.
“I believe you have something of mine,” he grinned. Without looking up, Juliette put her hand in her bag and took out the jacket, placing it in his palm. “Thanks.” She forced a smile - she didn’t want to be rude. The bell rang indicating homeroom and Juliette walked off leaving him behind her. For once, Sebastian didn’t chase after her. He still leaned on the locker, oblivious to all the people hurriedly walking past him. The minute Juliette turned around, Sebastian and Ashlen were locked in an intimate embrace. Other students walked past them, the whisper-game starting again. They ignored it all. Juliette didn’t feel sad or defeated, she just walked to her class near the end of the hall.
He was never yours, Juliette, she reminded herself. Suddenly, she felt better.

The roll was called and Juliette raised her hand indicating her attendance. The teacher, Mrs Benson, sniffed.
“Juliette? Juliette?” Juliette raised her hand higher. Mrs Benson looked up and scribbled Juliette as absent. She sighed and shifted awkwardly in her seat.
“She’s here, ma’am,” Sebastian’s voice said from the back of the class. She turned to him and laughed. Oh, how she couldn’t stay mad at him - at least, for now. How could she? There was no valid reason to be mad! Instead, she smiled and waved. She pulled a book from her bag and continued to read without any hassle.

The class filled in for Art class and Juliette was pushed several times into the door-way as seven children at once attempted to fit into the door. She rolled her eyes and carried in her canvas and several other paint-brushes at were tucked into her bag.
“Today,” the reliever teacher said, clasping her hands together eagerly, “we will be learning about Andre Derain.” The class sighed. “Anyone ever heard about him?” Juliette knew - he was one of her favorite artists. She didn’t, however, put her hand up. It would be a hassle. The class didn’t answer but the teacher continued. “As I said, we’ll be learning about him - imitating his artwork. We’ll be working on a normal canvas as your medium and maybe simply graphite pencils first. We’ll get painting later.” The class sighed once again and Juliette started immediately, excited and enthusiastic. She began draft a picture of her and her family - not her mother and father, but of Rouge and Andy and Keller and Gracie and Bryan and Owen. She felt someone standing behind her and turned around.
“Marvelous.” She simply said. “That’s an absolutely awesome start.” She smiled at the compliment and continued drawing in Andre Derain’s style. Juliette always found the French painter’s work to be adorable. She didn’t hesitate or waste any time to pull out the paint. She placed all the primary colors onto a piece of newspaper and began swirling the colors and mixing them together until she got the right shade of blue. With a little paint dabbed onto the paintbrush, she painted on the canvas, loosing herself in the drawing. When Juliette started something, she got absorbed in it so much - depending on what it was, it could be good or bad. Half way into the painting, the bell rang dismissing the class. The teacher stopped Juliette at the door way.
“You’re extremely talented,” she thought.
And I bet you say that to everyone.
“I was wondering if you would like to compete in a local Art competition.”
Oh, never mind. Juliette shook her head no.
“Are you sure?” Juliette bit her lower lip. “You could win a grand.”
Deal. Juliette nodded eagerly. She didn’t find a pair of shoes she fell in love with or a new book she had to buy or a new cellphone with a 12 mega-pixel camera. Juliette accepted because if she won, she could pitch in for the power bills at Rouge’s orphanage. It was the least she could do.
“Great. Here,” the woman said, running to the desk, almost tripping up on her heels. She grabbed a several pieces of paper. “Fill this out,” she said, handing Juliette the papers. “Meet me here tomorrow for the other details. Now I really must be going. I have a rowdy bunch of students to attend to.” Juliette shrugged and looked at the paper.

She walked towards the cafeteria alone, sitting down on a table.
“Sit with us,” a couple of girls offered. Juliette shook her head politely. Like dinner at the orphanage, Juliette had absolutely nothing to offer. Even if she sat with them, it wouldn’t change the fact that she would still be sitting alone - eating alone. They shrugged and walked to their own table. Sometimes Juliette wished she could have a lot of friends of her own - do things like she’d read in books or watched on TV: have a slumber party, go to the movies, go shopping together. Of course, she knew that would never be possible. She pulled a can of coke from her bag and placed it on the table, pulling out a book too. Sebastian walked past here, Ashlen clinging desperately to his arm.
“Hey, you,” he grinned, slamming his hands on the table. She took a sip of her coke and looked up, smiling. “Whatcha doing all by yourself?” She pointed to her book. “Oh, duh - obviously. Typical Juliette,” he tsked.
“You know her?” Ashlen asked.
“Yep. We’re tight.”
No, we’re not!
She pulled Sebastian’s shirt and pointed to the table full of jocks on the other side of the room.
“I think we’re better off hanging out there,” she winced.
“Whatever,” Sebastian replied. “See you later, yeah?” He told Juliette. She nodded, her nose still in the book.
I doubt it, she thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
I, personally, find this chapter a little awkward and cliche. It was also a lot shorter than I'd imagined! So much for that spectacular chapter I promised you. It was never my intention to make Juliette clingy and vunerable like most characters in stories, but it just sort of happened. I was trying to make her bad-ass. I guess I failed in that department.