‹ Prequel: A spotlight of my own
Status: SEQUEL TIME

Notbroken

The end, the sun and the beginning

My phone buzzed as I wiped the sweat off my brow. My season had ended only 3 weeks ago but I figured the harder I went this off-season the easier it’d be for the rest.
“I miss ma jolie petite étoile”

I smiled to myself as I continued running. After Claude had eliminated my team and I from playoffs I spent a few nights with him as we waited to see who he played next. He took it upon himself to try to teach me his native tongue and began calling me his ‘pretty little star.’

Every time he said it I would blush, I had no clue why because it really wasn’t that special of a name but coming from him it sounded perfect.
“I miss you too. 3 months till the first zamboni hit’s the ice ;)”

Kim Kardashian apparently had a nice boyfriend, shocker…

“I cannot wait that long. Call me later tonight please belle??”

I should run outside next week, the weather man said it’s going to be 70.

“Desperateeee ;) but okay ”

*********************

“Shauna…Lex… oh my god can you two please shut up?” Dom grabbed hold of the remote control and turned it up to 68.

“Hey your one away asshole, just do it! 69!” Yelled out Junior while laughing.

I threw a pillow in retaliation at Dom while Lex turned up her laptop even louder. Her now ex-boyfriend blasted through the speakers but it still couldn’t match the TV’s surround system.

“We can listen to it tomorrow, I’m sure it sucks anyways Lex…” I gave her a small hug, Sam and Her had broken up earlier that day over ‘long distance’ issues. She came over my house all puffy eyed, sobbing and it hadn’t stopped. “Hey listen up,” Dom said as he rose from his spot muted the TV, “I’m going to get some ice cream, I heard that cures girl problems too, you guys wanna come?”

“It’s 9:15 at night D, nothing will be open but thanks,” Lex grunted out as she rubbed her eyes and grabbed handful of chips from Junior’s bowl.

“C’mon Wegmans never closes… Let’s go,”

All four of us pilled into Junior’s truck and headed towards the closest, and ironically, smallest Wegmans in all of Buffalo.

*************************************************

Most of my summer was spent like this, Hanging out with Lex, my brothers, family and working out. A few hockey guys came into town, Tyler, Jon, Jeff and I met up with Kaner about once a week at Northtown to practice our breakaways moves on random adult league goalies.

Claude and I would talk, Skype or just facebook daily but we never got a chance to see one another. With that we ended up growing further apart, not that we were ever really close, and eventually decided we’d be better just as friends.

It didn’t effect me much, I had more important things to focus on, like winning a Stanley Cup.

*********

“Pick it up girls” I shouted as my Buffalo Bisons u16 AAA team played their cross-border rival, a team from Niagara-On-The-Lake.

Summer had ended and I was in my 2nd season with the Buffalo Sabres. Things weren’t going very well but it was still only the 3rd month of the season and we were getting better during practices. It was only a matter of time before it carried over to games.

The Buffalo Bisons contacted me over the summer and asked me to volunteer coach their youth girls teams. At first I was against it, I didn’t think I’d have time nor did I really know how to coach but then the young girl that I met, Marissa, at my only Frozen Four appearance, flashed in my head. She was apart of the Buffalo Bisons, that was why the named sounded familiar.

“I have a question, Is there a Marissa on the u14s or u16s?” I asked the owner of the organization when I called him back one late August night.

“Yeah, Marissa Smith is on u16s but should be on u14s, she was a little over-qualified if you will.”

“Awesome,” I smiled to myself, “I’ll take the job.”

******

“Yeah shut the fuck up and give me the water Ty My.”

“Only if you gimme a kiss”

“I hate you,” I scoffed as I skated away from Tyler Myers, the waters and headed off the ice. Our last game before all-star break was coming up in a few hours and all Ty wanted was a kiss. Shows where our priorities are I sarcastically thought to myself for I knew he was kidding.

The lockerroom at the First Niagara Center reminded me a lot of Shattuck. Not because of its architecture but what went on inside, chirps, pranks, smiles and most of all love filled the air inside it. The guys, at least the ones that had come to really get to know me, which were a large percentage of the team rather than just Kaleta, seemed to all genuinely care about me. I was included in 99% of their jokes and they treated me like a normal teammate. On road trips I got my own room but the boys would still prank me as much as the others.

I was happy and my play was showing it. I wouldn’t make the all-star weekend but I didn’t care I just wanted to help turn this team around so we’d at least make playoffs.

******

It seemed like everything was perfect, my hockey game had earned me a spot on the first line, I was loving volunteering with the Buffalo Bisons and I had not thought about my love life since last season. Not one part of my life seemed to be faltering and it only seemed to be going up.
♠ ♠ ♠
working on the next one, legoooo